Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · I have 600rt flashes but would like strobes help please

skasol
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · I have 600rt flashes but would like strobes help please

I have two sets of shoot thru umbrellas as well as two 600rt and well not really happy with results as I feel they are underpowered for outdoor work what lighting strobes would u recommend for someone that does mostly portrait and location portrait as well.

Thank u.

May 06, 2013 at 07:32 PM
katylane1

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · I have 600rt flashes but would like strobes help please

I went with einsteins and mini lithium, and cyber commander and triggers.
Not saying their the best but for the money, I love em. Very portable, light weight.

May 06, 2013 at 09:02 PM
maxx9photo
• • • •
p.1 #3 · I have 600rt flashes but would like strobes help please

Depends on your budget... But be advised. As with photography.. Our needs will never ends .. so be ready to spend lot more. Anyway to answer what Better suit you, you need to know if monolights or battery/power pack? It will range from Budget friendly as Alien bee to Profoto sophisticated list of power pack and somewhere in between lies lots of other brands like Dynalite, Elinchrom, Calumet, Speedotron, etc and then some..

Both monolights and Power pack have their own pros and cons. I have both system and both have served me well suited for each occasion I used them indoor or out. You might look up online for many more experience or professional photographer or even serious amateur discussing these two.

May 06, 2013 at 11:29 PM
Deanh
• •
p.1 #4 · I have 600rt flashes but would like strobes help please

I use a PCB Einstein with Vagabond when I need more power than speedlites. Portable, reliable, easy.

May 07, 2013 at 12:27 AM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #5 · I have 600rt flashes but would like strobes help please

Thank u all.

May 07, 2013 at 07:51 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

george malamis
• • •
p.1 #6 · I have 600rt flashes but would like strobes help please

I would look at your modifier first before deciding the speedlite is underpowered. Shoot through umbrellas spill light everywhere and do not focus their power like an inexpensive softbox or parabolic umbrella can. Try using a westcott apollo softbox or one of their parabolics and see how it works. You may be good with what you have and either of the modifiers I mentioned will also work with a strobe set up if you decide to go that way in the future. Additionally I would look into your strategy for lighting outdoors with speedlites. If you use sun light to back light your subject and fill in with flash you will have plenty of power for portraits with speedlites.

May 12, 2013 at 02:23 PM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #7 · I have 600rt flashes but would like strobes help please

Thank u

May 12, 2013 at 02:25 PM
erichard
• • •
p.1 #8 · I have 600rt flashes but would like strobes help please

Maybe try putting two 600's on one modifier like a parabolic umbrella type of system (PCB has them or softlighter II maybe) for key light, reflector for fill, and sun for rim/hair light. You'd need the ST-e3 to trigger the two 600's. That should give some power to the off camera lighting, and you might even get away with high speed sync if the modifier is close enough. The beauty of the 600's vs. the larger strobes is the ability to do high speed sync, but i think ganging them up on the umbrella rod is necessary to compensate for the lack of power. However, since your main issue is underpower without HSS, then maybe you need to leave HSS for another day since it lowers the effective power fairly dramatically (but it does fit into the calculus of switching from 600's to AB's or Einsteins for instance).

If that fails...AB's or Einsteins and vagabond battery will get you where you want to go with a little more bulk and weight (though in the lighter pocket if you know what I mean).

You could do both, which would put your 600's to work instead of leaving them on the sidelines. Trigger the 600's from on camera 600 or ST-E3 and trigger the AB or Einstein from a CST trigger hooked into the PC terminal of the camera and control the Einstein or AB with a cyber commander. You might have to chimp the metering though, which could slow you down slightly (although it might be possible to get cybersync receivers for the 600's and use the ST-E3 to set their levels remotely and then meter everything with the cyber commander....pretty complex setup but doable. Haven't tried that though).

May 13, 2013 at 08:28 PM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #9 · I have 600rt flashes but would like strobes help please

Thank u.

May 14, 2013 at 01:55 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password