New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · To fusion or not to fusion

skasol
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · To fusion or not to fusion

Thinking of getting a new 27" iMac fully loaded with the exception of the harddrive since I usually use the computer for editing and keep most of my files on external thunderbolt drive for lightroom. My question is should I get the 3tb fusion or get the 768SSD, the ssd option doesn't seem to be good for me because my libraries (iTunes and iPhoto are over 400GB) so I typically keep them on my external anyways and my lightroom catalog and original pictures are also on my external drive. The only think I keep on computer is the apps which fusion drive would be enough to hold.

Am I missing anything as far as going with the fusion instead of full SSD?

May 06, 2013 at 02:30 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · To fusion or not to fusion

I recently got the 3TB fusion drive for PhotoShop even though I keep my images on external drives as well. I'll be updating my working drive (3 TB) to thunderbolt this evening.

Not only does OSX, but LR probably uses virtual memory / swap files as does PS. With those on the SSD portion along with any of the system flies. I can wake it from sleep and before I am sitting, the system is ready for business. A cold start was somewhere around 7 seconds.

I use very little of the 3TB, but since it's a relatively closed system, I went for it for future expansion. I also got 16 GB Crucial ram to bring it up to the full 32 GB.

May 06, 2013 at 03:03 PM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · To fusion or not to fusion

Bernie wrote:
I recently got the 3TB fusion drive for PhotoShop even though I keep my images on external drives as well. I'll be updating my working drive (3 TB) to thunderbolt this evening.

Not only does OSX, but LR probably uses virtual memory / swap files as does PS. With those on the SSD portion along with any of the system flies. I can wake it from sleep and before I am sitting, the system is ready for business. A cold start was somewhere around 7 seconds.

I use very little of the 3TB, but since it's a relatively closed system, I went
...Show more

Thank u for your input. That's my concern if I am able to somehow install whatever files I need to swap files or what not for lightroom on ssd would I be better off just going full ssd? Are u please with the performance of the fusion drive. Do u see a $600 benefit (full ssd) if I go the ssd route

May 06, 2013 at 03:09 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · To fusion or not to fusion

Maybe read this: http://macperformanceguide.com/fusion.html
http://macperformanceguide.com/iMac-late2012.html

My concern would be what happens if one of the two drives crashes - how much of your stuff, or all of it, is lost? Of course you will be backing up everything anyway.

If budget wasn't a concern, I'd likely opt for the SSD only option, just wish you could get it as a smaller drive at lower price than the current single option.

May 06, 2013 at 03:30 PM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · To fusion or not to fusion

rscheffler wrote:
Maybe read this: http://macperformanceguide.com/fusion.html
http://macperformanceguide.com/iMac-late2012.html

My concern would be what happens if one of the two drives crashes - how much of your stuff, or all of it, is lost? Of course you will be backing up everything anyway.

If budget wasn't a concern, I'd likely opt for the SSD only option, just wish you could get it as a smaller drive at lower price than the current single option.

Thank u. That is a good point but I am always backing up.

May 06, 2013 at 05:21 PM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · To fusion or not to fusion

Decided to just get the new 512 ssd and pair it with external g raid thunderbolt.

May 08, 2013 at 06:18 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.