Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       7       end

Archive 2013 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

James R wrote:
I do about 85% in LR. However, Photoshop CS is vital for the other 10% and for non-photographic designs.

That is true for you. For me, I really don't need PS. I'd prefer it because I am used to it's nuances. On my surface pro I'm using Elements 11.
When you mentioned the term "non-photographic" designs you opened up a whole new set of options that using the other options in the CC might be an advantage to you.

May 08, 2013 at 06:50 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.6 #2 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

MS even agrees bad

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-to-adobe-its-too-early-to-dump-stand-alone-software

May 08, 2013 at 07:53 PM
Thorsten
• • •
p.6 #3 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

sjms wrote:
MS even agrees bad

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-to-adobe-its-too-early-to-dump-stand-alone-software

But it's funny how they believe Within a decade, we think everyone will choose to subscribe because the benefits are undeniable.

Movie rentals have been around for way longer than a decade. So has everybody switched to renting movies "because the benefits are undeniable"?

May 08, 2013 at 07:56 PM
Avi B
• • • • •
p.6 #4 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

Thorsten wrote:
But it's funny how they believe

Movie rentals have been around for way longer than a decade. So has everybody switched to renting movies "because the benefits are undeniable"?

Well, depending on your point of view, the benefits are undeniable.... If your point of view is the corporation "licensing" the software...

May 08, 2013 at 08:37 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.6 #5 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

actually for me the "rental" of office 365 is worth it where adobes option is off the wall. a little too much hubris on their part.

I even use Libre Office on my surface pro as of now it does pretty much all I need.

the subscription option will mature as things progress.

May 08, 2013 at 08:38 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #6 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

sjms wrote:
MS even agrees bad

Microsoft is saying it's too early, not that it's bad. There is a difference.

What these computer programming companies are forgetting are the following:

- Not all computers are connected to the WEB and there will always be a need to run some computers without WEB access.
- People do not have WEB access, nor do they need WEB access 100% of the time.
- For security and IP reasons, many companies will not want to use WEB based applications nor will they want to use the latest versions of a software package.
- For the casual user, subscription based software is a HUGE expense.

For the most part, subscription based software is customer hostile and offers little to no benefit to the customer. It's a bad idea if you ask me.

May 08, 2013 at 08:58 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.6 #7 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

for the casual user there is Libre Office which I have found has little issue communicating in MS formats that I use. for the more aggressive user there are the higher options. you have options that you need to explore and see what works for you in the long run. what is a bad idea for some is less so for others.

May 08, 2013 at 09:43 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.6 #8 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

sjms wrote:
MS even agrees bad

Within a decade, we think everyone will choose to subscribe because the benefits are undeniable.

Thorsten wrote:
But it's funny how they believe

They keep talking about undeniable benefits because they've artificially created those benefits. They say that they're wasting development resources because cloud is different than standalone and that cloud is so much better because they can get new features to users immediately with cloud. So, why can't they do the same with standalone? They could, if they wanted to do so.

The problem is that cloud is probably beneficial to a large portion of their user base. They don't want to acknowledge that the other portion of their user base loses with that scheme. If I needed/wanted to use the suite and always wanted the latest tools, I would probably be happy with the new scheme, especially if a big part of my income was tied to the use of many of their applications. But, CS is the only thing I use and, to be honest, I don't really need what it does, other than the PSD edit capability.

For years, people complained about DNG being a bad format because Adobe controlled it. Well PSD is no different. I don't use DNG, but I do enjoy saving complex edited files in PSD, to preserve the layers and other complex editing that I'd done, while allowing me to use new tools from future releases.

That means that now I'll have to slowly convert all of those old PSD files to a different format. I'm not savvy enough to know what, if any, other programs can utilize all of the PSD features. So, as I said before, it makes sense for me to use CS6 until it's no longer viable and then switch to some other editor or editors.

Someone mentioned Silkypix. I'm totally unfamiliar with it. It's not cheap either, at around $250, but it would appear to be a viable option.

Picture Window Pro is also a decent editor, that's been around for a very long time and costs $90. The same folks make Color Mechanic Pro, a PS plug-in that I've been using for many years. This is an option that I'll be looking at very hard. You can find it at this link.

I used to love using Paint Shop Pro, many years ago and was even a private beta tester for a couple versions. I just looked up the new version, PSP X5, which is on sale for $60, which is apparently a $20 savings on the normal price. It can be seen by clicking here. Of course, it has a trial version. At $60, I may just buy it to see what it can do. Years ago, it had layers and lots of other high end goodies, including the ability to make your own custom user interface. That custom UI was a wonderful tool that I really missed when I switched to PS.

If anyone knows of an editor or editors that will also edit PSD files without goofing them up, I'd like to hear about them.

For the folks that may benefit from this new scheme, I wish you well and hope that it works out better for you than you anticipate.

thanks
Kerry

May 08, 2013 at 10:52 PM
neuf_owner
• •
p.6 #9 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

I was actually on a support call today with the Adobe rep for our company. Adobe purchased Omniture some time ago and I am setting up some ad tracking with it. We utilize this software on our web sites for visit tracking and analysis. During a lull in our session I noted my dislike for this Photoshop license change. He indicated that there were things coming down the pike that would make this move more understandable such as setting up visit tracking directly from Photoshop (maybe instead of the tracking pixel?). The cloud makes the collaboration with ad agencies/networks and publishers much easier.

I still dislike this license change with a passion but I suspect that Adobe has some other pastures targeted with this move. Advertising involves some big money. I will probably upgrade from CS5 to CS6 and then be done. I have no intention of using the service model.

May 09, 2013 at 04:52 AM
ytwong
• • •
p.6 #10 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

Interestingly , I'm working on a project related to the Omniture tracking software (SiteCatalyst). I think tracking of traffic to a picture is only possible if you put the picture on the Adobe cloud. The tracking is nothing fancy (technically), it's just a customizable reporting tool...with boatload of cookies and javascript (which slow down client machines a lot)

If you put the picture on Flickr, Flickr can provide it's own stats too.

May 09, 2013 at 08:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lee Saxon
• • •
p.6 #11 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

My main problem with this thread is that toothpicks are straight - they would be i's, not L's. "H E double hockey sticks" is how I've always heard it.

May 09, 2013 at 09:21 AM
Lee Saxon
• • •
p.6 #12 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

For someone who upgrades every version to have the latest camera compatibility and ACR engine, such as myself, $20/mo is actually significantly less expensive.

For someone who uses multiple Adobe programs upgrades at least 1-2 of them every upgrade cycle, such as myself, $50/mo is actually HUGELY less expensive.

But Adobe needs to realize that not everyone is in that situation and make CC an OPTION.

May 09, 2013 at 09:26 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.6 #13 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

Lee Saxon wrote:
My main problem with this thread is that toothpicks are straight - they would be i's, not L's. "H E double hockey sticks" is how I've always heard it.

I should of used lower case h and e.

May 09, 2013 at 09:50 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.6 #14 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

Kerry Pierce wrote:
I used to love using Paint Shop Pro, many years ago and was even a private beta tester for a couple versions. I just looked up the new version, PSP X5, which is on sale for $60, which is apparently a $20 savings on the normal price. It can be seen by clicking here. Of course, it has a trial version. At $60, I may just buy it to see what it can do. Years ago, it had layers and lots of other high end goodies, including the ability to make your own custom user interface. That custom
...Show more

Same here, I started with PSP back in 2004, Corel didn't own it then and I can't remember who did. But it was much better before Corel bought it. I just downloaded PSP X5 and compared to LR or Elements 10 (which I use), it's a dog. I'm used to instantaneous edit adjustments and with PSP X5 it takes a while.

May 09, 2013 at 09:57 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.6 #15 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

anything Corel comes in contact with withers and dies in obscurity. they also purchased another image program (Micrografx) I used previous to PS and it too. turned to dust.

Edited on May 09, 2013 at 01:45 PM · View previous versions

May 09, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.6 #16 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

I gotta buck the trend here. I've been using Creative Cloud for a year now and really like it. For me personally, it saves a lot of money. I always upgrade to the newest versions of software (I'm a chronic early adopter), and regularly use Lightroom, Photoshop, Premiere, and Dreamweaver, with occasional use of Acrobat and I'm starting to check out After Effects. To buy the new version of each of those programs with every upgrade is painful.

Of course, the flip side is if they decide to start raising that monthly subscription price.

Again, it works for me, but I realize not everyone uses the number of Adobe programs I do (and that most people don't have to have the newest version each time)

May 09, 2013 at 11:51 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.6 #17 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

Steve Perry wrote:
I gotta buck the trend here. I've been using Creative Cloud for a year now and really like it. For me personally, it saves a lot of money. I always upgrade to the newest versions of software (I'm a chronic early adopter), and regularly use Lightroom, Photoshop, Premiere, and Dreamweaver, with occasional use of Acrobat and I'm starting to check out After Effects. To buy the new version of each of those programs with every upgrade is painful.

Of course, the flip side is if they decide to start raising that monthly subscription price.

Again, it works for me,
...Show more

If I were a professional like you, I'd be using it as well.

May 09, 2013 at 12:06 PM
pburke
• • •
p.6 #18 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

I use Adobe products professionally at work, but for my own purposes, I usually only buy the products I need, with many years in between before upgrading. I don't see how this CC thing would do anything but cost me far more money than I have been spending in the past.

At work, we don't always get the most recent versions either (we use production premium because it is all primarily video work), as we are also using the competition's products to cover all our bases. My guess is we will now upgrade to CS6 and then sit on that for a long time, possibly completely changing to FCP or whatever else does serve our needs best at a price we are willing to pay.

At least in the video arena, Premiere isn't the only game in town, nor is the Media Encoder in CS6 the product of choice for us, so we can see where this cloud thing goes. For Photoshop users, though, it will be more of a "how do I get my file into the old version" problem in the future. Too bad for Adobe that the current cameras are fresh in the market and won't be leaving our hands for a lot of years, so compatibility with CS6 will be there for a lot of us for a long time, plus most of us haven't scratched the surface of what CS6 can do, so it'll take some major innovation in their cloud version to get the attention of the casual hobby user.

May 09, 2013 at 01:24 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.6 #19 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

leighton w wrote:
Same here, I started with PSP back in 2004, Corel didn't own it then and I can't remember who did. But it was much better before Corel bought it. I just downloaded PSP X5 and compared to LR or Elements 10 (which I use), it's a dog. I'm used to instantaneous edit adjustments and with PSP X5 it takes a while.

PSP was originally privately owned by a single developer, IIRC, who then grew the company to a very capable app, with a couple dozen or so employees. My last version was the last one prior to PSP being acquired by Corel. I'd been a private beta tester for 2 or 3 versions by then and knew several of the employees and lots of the power users. AFAIK, almost all of the original employees were out of a job with the deal. Corel bought it right at the end of our last beta test and many of us in the beta were very concerned that they'd turn it into bloatware.

From your description, it sounds like they did exactly that. That's too bad. The current feature list looks good to me, but like you, poor performance is not appealing. Thanks for the info.

Kerry

May 09, 2013 at 03:53 PM
SSISteve
• • •
p.6 #20 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

Well, I just upgraded from CS5 to CS6 and with that I am done. I have no plans to using PS on a subscription basis. I mostly use LR and to process my RAW images and will continue to do so unless they make that a subscription only basis. Hopefully, Adobe will lose enough business over this move and force them to offer a stand alone version.

May 09, 2013 at 05:52 PM
       7       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

7       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password