Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              6       7       end

Archive 2013 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

James Burden
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

Ben Horne wrote:
Where do you see $10 per month?

At the link I posted above, first year is $10 if you have CS3 or later.....

May 06, 2013 at 11:22 PM
binary visions
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

Ben Horne wrote:
Yep, that makes it even worse. Oh, and if you cancel you don't have software anymore.

That raises an interesting point about month-to-month expenses... while it's all well and good to average things out over a couple years or more, the reality is that some people don't have finances that work that regularly. You know, like self-employed photographers who have seasonal work, or might face periods of sparse employment, or if they get sick/hurt/etc. their work can suffer?

May 06, 2013 at 11:26 PM
Jammyn
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

For my needs, CS5 is more than enough. Another "nope" on the subscription service.

May 07, 2013 at 12:30 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

I have several serious problems with this.

1. The price may increase disproportionately over time, becoming impossible for some to afford/justify.
2. The version of the software will change over time at Adobe's discretion, so that one will be forced to upgrade to a newer, buggier, and generally inferior version.
3. Compatibility with 3rd party plugins is enough hassle when only upgrading occasionally. I only imagine it will become worse.
4. Eventually one will be forced into using a new OS and hardware to support the new CS versions.

EBH

Edited on May 07, 2013 at 04:33 AM · View previous versions

May 07, 2013 at 02:00 AM
shmn
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

For those saying you are going to stick with your current version (CS3, 4, 5, or 6) remember that if you use ACR as a RAW converter that it will no longer be updated so if you get a new camera, it will probably not be supported.

Needless to say, I'm not a fan of this new scheme...not consumer friendly.

May 07, 2013 at 02:16 AM
Thorsten
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

gfinlayson wrote:
The software is downloaded in its entirety and installed on your PC/MAC or both (2 machines can be licensed for each subscription). It runs as a standalone, and connects to your account every 30 days to check you're still subscribed. Been using CS6 via CC for a couple of months now, an d it works great. I boughtbLr4 for about £60, and pay just over £17 a month for CS6, which is a LOT less over a couple of years than it would have cost to buy.

Hm, at least for some features, the images would need to be uploaded to Adobe:

It also says it will allow the addition of processor-intensive features, such as Camera Shake Reduction tool, where the work can be conducted in the cloud.

And I bet that over time, more and more features will move to the "cloud".

May 07, 2013 at 02:32 AM
ytwong
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

This is certainly bad for those who like to travel. Last month I was backpacking in Iran for 2 wk + and good internet connection is a luxury there (and lots of address/websites are blocked). If PS moves to cloud, that means editing on the go is impossible?

first year is $10 if you have CS3 or later.....
That $10 deal only applies to first year...

May 07, 2013 at 02:58 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

Ironically there is an ad on this page for the subscription. Says 10 a month for single app for owners of cs3 and newer

May 07, 2013 at 03:10 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

Ah, so glad I'm not a photoshop user ... dumb-a$$ move by Adobe if you ask me.

May 07, 2013 at 03:45 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

How's that "open source" DNG archival format working for you now? Trust your copyrighted hero images to Adobe's cloud and their casual security? Read the boilerplate on your cloud license yet?
Be very sure that, very soon, Adobe plans to "Cloud" LR too.

Already looking for ACR work arounds. Not going to rush for the latest and greatest Cameras either (until they get down to "refurb" pricing and supply adequate RAW converters). What incentive will Adobe have to improve Photoshop when users are locked in to their cloud? Could it be that this is tacit notice that Adobe is out of, significant, new ideas for PS?

I will try to avoid all other Adobe products (except my, licensed, I own 'em photoshops). That includes outgoing PDFs (a JPEG is a smaller file anyway). Interesting that a casual search shows nowhere to email a comment to Adobe.

This kind of "screw your user" is why Microsoft is withering on the vine. Yes they have the big corporate users locked in but no one wants their new bloatware OS or, harder to use, overlays on their tired Office suite. What about all those up and comers that started with Elements? Now there's a real opening for entry level photo file processing leading away from PS. Sell your Adobe stock before it crashes.

May 07, 2013 at 09:13 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

VinnieJ
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

SoundHound wrote:
Sell your Adobe stock before it crashes.

Expect more and more apps to go this route. I remember MS talking about doing this with Office since the '90s.

Steam for cloud based gaming has actually saved me money because of incredible discounts they offer and I can run the games from multiple computers, one at a time. Biggest difference here is I choose what I want to pay for with Steam, no subscriptions.

The only Adobe product I use besides Acrobat Reader and Flash is Lightroom. If I don't see the advantages for going cloud based I'll have no problem using Apple's Aperture. Now (hypothetically) if Adobe offers a special one day where they are giving away CS for something like $10 for the year I will definitely get it and play it by ear year to year.

Got to wait to see how this all works out but with LR 5 Beta recently being released hopefully it will be a while before LR users are forced into a cloud based subscription.

May 07, 2013 at 10:13 AM
VinnieJ
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

EB-1 wrote:
I have several serious problems with this.

1. The price may increase disproportionately over time, becoming impossible for some to afford/justify.
2. The version of the software will change over time at Adobe's discretion, so that one will be forced to upgrade to a newer, buggier, and generally inferior version.
3. Compatibility with 3rd party plugins is enough hassle when only upgrading occasionally. I only imagine it will become worse.
4. Eventually one will be forced into using a new OS and hardware to support the new CS versions.

EBH

Their support model for older software when newer software is released won't necessarily be affected. Have to wait and see.

May 07, 2013 at 10:19 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

ytwong wrote:
This is certainly bad for those who like to travel. Last month I was backpacking in Iran for 2 wk + and good internet connection is a luxury there (and lots of address/websites are blocked). If PS moves to cloud, that means editing on the go is impossible?

No, all of the apps are hosted locally and Adobe says you can go up to 180 days without an internet connection, though the app attempts to re-activate itself once a month.

May 07, 2013 at 10:24 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

I use LR for 98% of my work. I also don't have CS6 but I do have Elements and the only time I used that was for the content aware healing brush. Now that LR5 offers that I'll more than likely not have any reason to go in to Elements.

So this quote from the FAQ page was a big relief for me.

"Are all of Adobe's products now available only as part of Creative Cloud? Desktop tools that were part of the Creative Suite family, as well as Adobe Muse™ CC and Edge Tools & Services, are now available only as part of Creative Cloud. Other desktop tools, such as Adobe Acrobat® and Photoshop Lightroom®, continue to be available outside Creative Cloud."

May 07, 2013 at 10:45 AM
DaveOls
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

Did Adobe hire some new management from Netflix?

May 07, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Jason_Brook
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

Lightroom + Nik Bundle is the way of the future.

May 07, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Javier Munoz
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

Please, correct me if I am wrong. Does this mean that all photoshop users are going to be on parole from now on?

Way to go...

May 07, 2013 at 01:27 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

In the end, going to a subscription system allows a company to generate revenue from products without innovation (anyone see real competition?). Photoshop has been around a long time, and some of the other tools in the suite go back to the early 90s as well. There's only so much they can still improve during one of their version release cycles, plus the cost of rolling out new versions from documentation to support is probably a lot higher than constantly tweaking a cloud version that updates all users frequently.

If you don't use Photoshop for digital photography, you can easily do most things it does with versions that are 5 or more years old. With development of digital camera technology clearly reaching a plateau where things will begin to change more incrementally, they will lose other reasons to upgrade their software in the near future as well, such as ACR support for new camera models (just imagine cameras going to a generic raw format...)

Just look at MS Word - I still use Office 2003 and it does everything I need. Adobe's move to rental software preemptively puts them into a position where users need to pay perpetually if they want to keep using their software. The risk they are taking is that users will buy Lightroom instead, or move to software like DXO, realizing they don't use what Photoshop offers often enough to keep sending money to Adobe. They will definitely lose the inactive customer - those who realize when renewals come up that they haven't used the software. My guess is that this is true for a significant share of their perpetual license holders.

May 07, 2013 at 01:33 PM
roman.johnston
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

Ok...I have CS5 right now. Gonna stick with that.

Have Lightroom 4...which opens D800 files. Then import into CS5.

Guess that's what I will be doing from now on. Works fine for me now and as long as Lighroom stays out of CC....should be fine.

Only need Photoshop for LAB and layers...so unless something absolutely crazy comes out in photoshop that I GOTTA have....I have what I need.

Stupid move from Adobe.....disappointing.

Roman

May 07, 2013 at 01:56 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

EA tried this with SimCity and it wasn't met with the greatest reviews...

http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Arts-41018ted-Edition2-SimCity/dp/B007VTVRFA/ref=cm_rdp_product

read the reviews. I won't be upgrading either, but then again, my first purchase of PS was version CS6. I still prefer Corel Photopaint for the final tweaks.

May 07, 2013 at 01:58 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password