Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              6       7       end

What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

mrgetalife wrote:
They've been warning this for about 2 years. They halfway pulled the trigger when they first announced mandatory 2 year upgrades. EX. CS4 could upgrade to CS6 but CS3 would not be allowed get upgrade pricing.

Yeah, I remember hearing the rumblings about it few years back. I didn't like the idea then, and I don't like it now.

I have no need for Cloud Storage so I definitely don't want to be forced to pay for that. Even if just Photoshop is only $20 a month it's too much.

So every time we start up Photoshop in the Cloud to process, it's going to verify us? If I use my laptop to process when I am on the road, and so I have different IP addresses each night, Adobe will torture me with Validation information I would imagine... Talk about a major pain... On a piece of software I have now that does that, after validating, they send me an email, the email resets my password, and so I have to go to that link... all before I can use my program... is that going to be Adobe's model??

May 06, 2013 at 09:45 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.2 #2 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

gugs wrote:
Bye bye Adobe....

Guy

+1

Watch Google come out with competing product for less!

May 06, 2013 at 09:47 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.2 #3 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

To eliminate some confusion, an internet connection is used to download the software, activate/renew the subscription, and download updates. The product(s) are physically installed on your desktop, and can be used without an internet connection. Using the cloud space is purely optional. The subscription fee is reduced for ONLY THE FIRST YEAR for CURRENT customers, and reverts to whatever their regular pricing structure happens to be after the first year subscription expires.

I'm definitely NOT a fan!

May 06, 2013 at 09:49 PM
gfinlayson
• •
p.2 #4 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

The software is downloaded in its entirety and installed on your PC/MAC or both (2 machines can be licensed for each subscription). It runs as a standalone, and connects to your account every 30 days to check you're still subscribed. Been using CS6 via CC for a couple of months now, an d it works great. I boughtbLr4 for about 60, and pay just over 17 a month for CS6, which is a LOT less over a couple of years than it would have cost to buy.

May 06, 2013 at 09:53 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

READ THE FAQ PEOPLE!

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html

May 06, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

I'm so excited about the Creaive Cloud from Adobe that I'm going to go rent a puppy. #sarcasm

May 06, 2013 at 10:12 PM
binary visions
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #7 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

One of the reasons I don't buy $10-15 digital movies is because they're loaded with DRM and I don't actually own the movie. It means I am forced to rely on a specific OS/application/set of servers forever. I didn't start buying digital music until I could get them in DRM-free MP3 files that I could own/move/re-encode/whatever.

I'm certainly not buying a $650 piece of software that I don't own, laced with the same restrictions...

Welp. I guess all good things must end.

Edited on May 06, 2013 at 10:16 PM · View previous versions

May 06, 2013 at 10:14 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.2 #8 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

"When you purchase directly from Adobe, the cost of an annual membership will not go up during the first 12 months of your membership. It is possible that the cost of the month-to-month membership will increase, but if it does, you will be notified and given the opportunity to cancel."

May 06, 2013 at 10:15 PM
tomrock
• • •
p.2 #9 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

binary visions wrote:
I'm certainly not buying a $650 piece of software that I don't own, laced with the same restrictions...

Welp. I guess all good things must end.

You have the same situation now -- you don't "own" the software, you license it. And you're tied to Adobe's activation servers for it to work.

This really isn't as bad as it sounds.

May 06, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

I have always skipped versions of photoshop since it offers little change from one version to the next. Often times, the only reason for my upgrade is for RAW support.

Since I have owned CS2, CS4, and CS6 --- my total expenditure over the past 8 years has been $1000. This has included the initial purchase of CS2, and two subsequent updates.

If I were to have the Creative Cloud over the same period of time for only photoshop ($20/mo), it amounts to $1920.

I am essentially paying twice as much for something that gives me the same utility -- and I have nothing to show for it when I stop giving Adobe money.

I'm due for a new car in the next few years, and I'm planning on getting a new Toyota 4Runner which costs around $35,000. If the Toyota dealer was like Adobe, they would try to sell me on the "Toyota Creative Cloud" which involves a 4 year lease for only $1458 each month. If you do that math on that, it would amount to $70,000 over 4 years. Sounds like a good deal right? Oh, and yeah, I don't get to keep the car when the lease is over.

May 06, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DavidWEGS
• • • •
p.2 #11 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

I have been running some alt software to try and exit the whole Adobe thing. I hope that by the time CS6 and LR5 expire, I not longer need them...

May 06, 2013 at 10:36 PM
montym
• • • •
p.2 #12 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

James Burden wrote:
The entire suite is $50 a month.....just Photoshop is $10

Correct!
...and I think it is a good deal and will be subscribing
Monty

May 06, 2013 at 10:43 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.2 #13 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

tomrock wrote:
You have the same situation now -- you don't "own" the software, you license it. And you're tied to Adobe's activation servers for it to work.

This really isn't as bad as it sounds.

The license in this case is essentially ownership - it's a license that has no time restriction on it.

Additionally, the activation is an unintrusive one-time activation whereupon I do not have to reactivate unless I must reinstall. I can make my own decisions on whether running an out-of-date piece of software is worth my inability to upgrade computers (or, if I am savvy enough, to port my installation over to a new machine).

With Creative Cloud, I've got 180 days. That's it.

I'm not a habitual gamer, but I also quit buying games that are laced with always-on DRM or other overt copy protection mechanisms. They never accomplish their goals - the tech community always makes short work of them and cracked versions are inevitably released same-day - but they do make the lives of honest consumers more difficult.

I'm not going to argue that this licensing doesn't make sense for anyone. Just that I earn my own money, and I don't support companies that pour money and resources into creating useless copy protection schemes or licensing models which inevitably hurt the consumer far more than the pirated software community. I have enough recurring bills - as an enthusiast instead of a working pro, buying a copy and using it for a long time is a far better deal since I never need the latest and greatest.

May 06, 2013 at 10:48 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

montym wrote:
Correct!
Monty

Where do you see $10/month?

I don't see that on this list of plans:
http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/buying-guide.html

May 06, 2013 at 10:49 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.2 #15 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

Don't think this will last. Too many variations on hardware, connections. People are click and use, if it doesn't work, they'll walk away.

May 06, 2013 at 10:50 PM
James Burden
• • •
p.2 #16 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

Kerry Pierce wrote:
Where did you see that price? The cheapest price on Adobe's pricing page, found here, is $20 per month, which includes 20gigs of cloud storage.

Personally, I don't need nor want to pay for cloud storage.

Kerry

https://creative.adobe.com/plans?plan=offers

May 06, 2013 at 10:56 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.2 #17 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

James Burden wrote:
https://creative.adobe.com/plans?plan=offers

I don't think it's reasonable to say a limited time introductory offer for existing CS customers is the pricing by which this product change should be benchmarked.

Edited on May 06, 2013 at 11:08 PM · View previous versions

May 06, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

montym wrote:
Correct!
Monty

Where do you see $10 per month?

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/buying-guide.html

I see $20 per month for photoshop. If you do the math, this really isn't a "deal."

Let's review how much you would spend if you bought Photoshop CS, then upgraded all the way to CS6.

CS (2003) $700
CS2 (2005) $200
CS3 (2007) $200
CS4 (2008) $200
CS5 (2010) $200
CS6 (2012) $200

Total: $1700

Creative Cloud Single Application cost over 9 years ($20 * 12 * 9): $2160

What am I missing here?

May 06, 2013 at 11:07 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.2 #19 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

Folks, Read the fine print !

"It is possible that the cost of the month-to-month membership will increase, but if it does, you will be notified and given the opportunity to cancel."

May 06, 2013 at 11:09 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

lukeb wrote:
Folks, Read the fine print !

"It is possible that the cost of the month-to-month membership will increase, but if it does, you will be notified and given the opportunity to cancel."

Yep, that makes it even worse. Oh, and if you cancel you don't have software anymore.

May 06, 2013 at 11:16 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password