Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              6       7       end

What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

leighton w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/05/06/Adobe-kills-perpetual-licenses-as-creative-suite-moves-to-creative-cloud-cc

May 06, 2013 at 07:24 PM
pburke
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

that's why I bought a copy of CS6 two weeks ago - gonna run that baby into the ground and shoot cameras it supports for as long as I can.

May 06, 2013 at 07:50 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

Can't say I blame them. Photoshop is the most pirated app of all time. I don't see anything wrong with the move, you always have the latest version,only down side is if you don't want to upgrade to save some cash.

May 06, 2013 at 08:01 PM
matt4626
• • •
p.1 #4 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

Out kicking the coverage...IMHO.
This is an engraved invitation for someone new to take over....

May 06, 2013 at 08:10 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

Wow... That is insane...

From their release: "Creative Cloud membership for individuals is US$49.99 per month based on annual membership; existing customers who own CS3 to CS5.5 get their first year of Creative Cloud at the discounted rate of US $29.99 per month"

Seriously? $50 a month?

I am thinking the D800 camera's will fit the bill for me just fine for say another 10 years... instead of upgrading with every version like I had been, I will just stay with CS6...

This is a very bad move by Adobe... Maybe it's back to Capture NX2 for more of my processing?

May 06, 2013 at 08:26 PM
LarryM
• •
p.1 #6 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

CS6 will certainly do most of what I need from Photoshop and I'm learning what a powerful program Nikon Capture NX2 is for RAW conversion and other basic editing that can be done without layers.

Many of my friends produce knockout images with Elements.

Larry

May 06, 2013 at 08:30 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

One of the biggest drawbacks I see with this is that not everyone has the latest and greatest internet connection. I'm one of the people at the low end of the broadband speed contest.

May 06, 2013 at 08:37 PM
pburke
• • •
p.1 #8 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

leighton w wrote:
One of the biggest drawbacks I see with this is that not everyone has the latest and greatest internet connection. I'm one of the people at the low end of the broadband speed contest.

that is generally not how these things work - the applicaiton and all its parts are downloaded/updated when you fire it up (slowly the first time, but then remains installed), but it will not function unless you are online and register with their login system.

May 06, 2013 at 08:46 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

leighton w wrote:

Perhaps in my shocked and dismayed state I did not read their press releases fully, but is the internet connection required only to download new software, like a future CS7? Or... will an internet connection be required everytime I run Photoshop, or whatever they are going to call it? If it's the later, think of all of the issues those of us would have where we are traveling and back in the sticks somewhere for our landscape shooting and we don't have internet connections for days often, or if you get one, as you say, it can be a minimal signal that often is barely enough to download emails...

Adobe... if they are listening... they ought to just sell Photoshop by itself, lower the price to $200, make the Teacher/Student version $100 and be done with it... watch your piracy woes start to disappear...

Hmmm... I wonder if... Photoshop Elements has definitely gotten more powerful over the last few years, perhaps that's the way to go? I can get Photoshop Elements at Costco for $75...

Jim

May 06, 2013 at 08:52 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #10 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

hmmm, I agree, at first blush, this doesn't look very appealing to me. But, I'm not sure that it will make a huge difference to folks like me. I don't need the latest and greatest. ATM, I'm still using CS4, even though I own CS6. I didn't install it on this machine because I am slowly building a new machine that will run it better. I tend to think that I could easily use CS6 for many years to come.

But, they don't mention what they intend to do with Lightroom. The video snips that I've seen on youtube on LR4 are very impressive. Maybe that will be all that the average photographer needs in the future.

Dunno. I don't like the lease thing. That much, I do know. Will have to wait and see how it shakes out. The article stated that they're concerned about upsetting their user base and have that Open Letter and feedback forum to address it. I think I'll look that over carefully and then tell them what I think.

Kerry

May 06, 2013 at 08:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

James Burden
• • •
p.1 #11 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

The entire suite is $50 a month.....just Photoshop is $10

May 06, 2013 at 08:56 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #12 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

James Burden wrote:

Where did you see that price? The cheapest price on Adobe's pricing page, found here, is $20 per month, which includes 20gigs of cloud storage.

Personally, I don't need nor want to pay for cloud storage.

Kerry

May 06, 2013 at 09:05 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #13 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

Photoshop CS4 & CS5 upgrades cost me $450 over the past 4 years. It would've been more than twice that amount based on their $19.99/month single-app subscription service. The fact that they're offering 1-year discounts to current customers tells me that they're very concerned about people not signing up. This move stinks IMO, and I hope people force Adobe to rethink the policy by refusing to sign up. Shareholders would scream, so it wouldn't take long.

May 06, 2013 at 09:05 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

leighton w wrote:

pburke wrote:
that is generally not how these things work - the applicaiton and all its parts are downloaded/updated when you fire it up (slowly the first time, but then remains installed), but it will not function unless you are online and register with their login system.

Ok, I'm a little confused. If I have to upload my RAW images to the cloud to work on them this is going to take me (at least), a LONG tome for each image. Am I missing something?

May 06, 2013 at 09:08 PM
Albi86
• •
p.1 #15 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

leighton w wrote:
Ok, I'm a little confused. If I have to upload my RAW images to the cloud to work on them this is going to take me (at least), a LONG tome for each image. Am I missing something?

As I get it, everything is on your computer. You need Internet connection only to log in the software.

May 06, 2013 at 09:13 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

leighton w wrote:

pburke wrote:

leighton w wrote:

Albi86 wrote:
As I get it, everything is on your computer. You need Internet connection only to log in the software.

NOW I get it, sorry, I'm a little dense at times.

May 06, 2013 at 09:17 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

James Burden wrote:

Looks like for a single app - i.e., Photoshop - is $20/month:

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/buying-guide.html

That's $240/year + tax - that's not so bad for me as I tend to just use photoshop.

I'd like to see more details - I assume that includes Bridge too . . .

John

May 06, 2013 at 09:24 PM
gugs
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

Bye bye Adobe....

Guy

May 06, 2013 at 09:30 PM
mrgetalife
• •
p.1 #19 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

They've been warning this for about 2 years. They halfway pulled the trigger when they first announced mandatory 2 year upgrades. EX. CS4 could upgrade to CS6 but CS3 would not be allowed get upgrade pricing.

May 06, 2013 at 09:36 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · What the H E double toothpicks was Adobe thinking?

Read the FAQ - many questions answered there:

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html

May 06, 2013 at 09:45 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password