Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · D800 Active D Lighting

hkula

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · D800 Active D Lighting

Just wondering what would be the a good generic active D lighting setting for the D800 and why?

I believe the default is off. I'm wondering if AUTO would be a good generic setting?

Comments appreciated.

Thanks

May 06, 2013 at 05:15 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · D800 Active D Lighting

It really depends on the lighting and what you're shooting. I sometimes use Normal with Matrix in
in high contrast situations or faces shadowed under cowboy hats...you'll have to play around some
as there's no "one size fits all" setting. I don't use auto anything on my D800, tweaks are 1/2 the fun.

May 06, 2013 at 05:33 PM
Chris Dees
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · D800 Active D Lighting

Shoot RAW and D-lightning to off (like all of those settings ). Use Lightroom or Capture NX (or other RAW converter) for processing.

May 06, 2013 at 05:35 PM
Chestnut
• • •
p.1 #4 · D800 Active D Lighting

I shoot RAW most of the time, but has Active D-Lighting set to auto for the JPEGs (usually just basic or normal).

For shots I care for/about, I'll post-process the RAW file manually, but for something quick, the Auto D-Lighting seems to work just fine for me.

May 06, 2013 at 05:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mishu01
• • • •
p.1 #5 · D800 Active D Lighting

Chris Dees wrote:
Shoot RAW and D-lightning to off (like all of those settings ). Use Lightroom or Capture NX (or other RAW converter) for processing.

+1
That's the best strategy... at least for me. Of course if you need to shoot in jpeg then is a different story... but as Will pointed out there is no reason to leave the camera to decide, so Auto will be my last option.

May 06, 2013 at 09:13 PM
TimMunsey
• • •
p.1 #6 · D800 Active D Lighting

To get the full dynamic range of the D800 which is at ISO 100 I use active D-lighting set to high, other than that I have it OFF for most shots as it will increase noise levels in the shadows at higher ISO's due to it shifting the exposure to the left when ON.

May 07, 2013 at 09:37 AM
hkula

p.1 #7 · D800 Active D Lighting

Many Thanks for the responses.

May 07, 2013 at 03:04 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password