Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Stellarium Users? Question about the Date/Time

JimKied
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Stellarium Users? Question about the Date/Time

I am having a disconnect when dealing with the date and time functions on Stellarium. I am planning a trip next month to a location in a different time zone. When I plug in that location and the dates I plan to be there, is the time based on my time zone (CDT), or the time zone where I will be (PDT)?

I think the thing that is confusing me is that when I click through a 24 hour period, the imagery "darkens" in the evening a lot later than when sunset actually occurs. I'm sure there is a very simple solution or tell that my simple-minded brain isn't seeing.

Appreciate any help.....

Thanks

May 06, 2013 at 05:05 PM
dcains
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Stellarium Users? Question about the Date/Time

I'll guess that Stellarium is looking at your system clock, and assumes you're in the time zone you're viewing on the screen. Makes sense based on the difference between CDT and PDT and the view you're seeing on the screen, too, doesn't it? So, either temporarily reset your system clock to PDT, or do the time calculation in your head.

As an aside, have you ever used TPE (the photographer's ephemeris)? Another great program to plan your outdoor shoots:

http://photoephemeris.com/

May 06, 2013 at 08:58 PM
JimKied
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Stellarium Users? Question about the Date/Time

That makes perfectly good sense and now that you mention it, that is what appears to be happening. Appreciate the input. And yes, I also use TPE, which is the best thing since sliced bread.

May 07, 2013 at 02:30 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password