Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · SF Bay Area Wildlife/Bird Spots.....

cohenfive
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SF Bay Area Wildlife/Bird Spots.....

Well, life has taken a turn and I find myself not working. While a bit scary, this was also somewhat planned--I just don't know the duration. In the meantime, I have more time to do the things I really love to do which is fantastic. That means more time on my mtn bike, more time playing golf, and hiking...and also taking pictures!

I was wondering if any of the other bay are folks can point out some of the wildlife/birding spots I should check out this spring. Anywhere within day trip distance of the bay area is of interest to me. I may also think about longer trips as my wife and I plot out our summer, but for now I want to stay in the region.

This should be a lot of fun! Thanks for any and all suggestions.

May 06, 2013 at 09:54 AM
gnbuzz
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SF Bay Area Wildlife/Bird Spots.....

I don't live in the Bay Area, but my wife used to, and she's taken me to Pt. Reyes several times. The place is a treasure trove for birders -- from raptors to song birds to shorebirds to pelagic -- as well as full of other wildlife. I've seen the endangered California Condor there. I've not been back since I started photographing wildlife, but I can't imagine that it's anything less than spectacular. You will have to be prepared to pack in your gear for some distances, depending on your destination.

May 06, 2013 at 09:59 AM
cohenfive
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SF Bay Area Wildlife/Bird Spots.....

I don't mind hiking with my gear, will keep Reyes in mind. Thx.

May 06, 2013 at 01:46 PM
idebare

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SF Bay Area Wildlife/Bird Spots.....

Hi -- one resource for finding good local birding spots is Golden Gate Audubon Society. We list several of the most popular spots in SF and the East Bay on our web site at http://www.goldengateaudubon.org/birding-resources/birding-site/

We also have several free field trips every week led by our expert volunteers guides. While these aren't geared to photographers, many members do bring cameras and they are a good way to explore a local spot for the first time and then return on your own later to shoot. Field trips are listed at http://www.goldengateaudubon.org/field-trips/fieldtrips/

Going further afield for day trips, Pt Reyes is great (as someone already mentioned) as is the Bolinas Lagoon at Stinson Beach. Right now is egret nesting season at Audubon Canyon Ranch, between Stinson and Bolinas. You could make a nice day of it combining the lagoon, Audubon Canyon Ranch and lunch at one of the places in Stinson (The Lunch Box has great sandwiches).
Las Gallinas sewage ponds in Marin, off of Hwy 101, is another good site.

Ilana DeBare
GGAS Communications Director

May 10, 2013 at 07:42 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.