Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · White Pocket, Arizona

photog4fun

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · White Pocket, Arizona

White Pocket is in a very remote area of Northern Arizona accessible only by a high clearance 4WD. It is filled with incredible rock formations streaked with gold, orange and red striations throughout the gray stone. Amazing.

Photog4fun 2013

White Pocket, Arizona

Photog4fun 2013

White Pocket, Az

Photog4fun 2013

My first try at doing HDR

May 05, 2013 at 09:39 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · White Pocket, Arizona

I agree with your assessment of White Pockets.
I've been there twice- both times in winter- and I took my old Isuzu Trooper II in accompaniment with some friends in Jeeps. So I couldn't linger there for as long as I wanted.
The first two images indicate morning, and the last image indicates that you were there at sunset- so I presume you free-camped that night. That's the way to do it- for sure.
I wish I had.
I really like the set. Nice work.
Charlie

May 05, 2013 at 10:19 PM
photog4fun

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · White Pocket, Arizona

We spent 2 nights there. What an incredible place..... a true landscape photographers paradise

May 05, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Tuan Le
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · White Pocket, Arizona

The rock formations look amazing in all three images. Would love to make it over there one day. I'm going to have to hook up with some friends with high-clearance 4wd vehicles...

May 06, 2013 at 02:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

photog4fun

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · White Pocket, Arizona

I went with Robert Fletcher from Riverside County in S. California. He is leading a third workshop there the end of June. His 3 day/ 2 night workshop is very reasonably priced and he is an excellent instructor if you are interested. Here's his email address: robert.r.fletcher@facebook.com

May 06, 2013 at 02:27 AM
photog4fun

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · White Pocket, Arizona

Here's one more of my favorites

Photog4fun 2013

White Pocket, Arizona

May 06, 2013 at 02:47 AM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · White Pocket, Arizona

It is indeed an amazing place. Thank you for sharing.

May 06, 2013 at 03:35 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · White Pocket, Arizona

Hi Suzanne,

White Pockets is indeed a very cool place to shoot. You got some nice shots here, but I do have a few suggestions.

#1, Overall my favorite, but you clipped the tops of the background mountains. I know they are the backdrop, but you still either want the top of the shot to show the peaks in the background, or they all should be cut off if the composition allows it.

#2 could move to be my favorite if you cropped the bottom of the shot off. For me what's so cool in that area is the stripes, the bottom of the shot is just some white rock, I would crop all of that off, go to a 4:5 format crop, and let the stripes start at the bottom of the frame and lead into the view.

#3 is a very interesting shot with lot's of potential. That rock is so different, but it looks like you used a grad to shoot this as the tops of the rocks on the left are almost black with no detail, that jumps out. Also, even though a grad of some sort seemed to have been used, the sky is still overexposed in spots. And last, you will see some flares from the lens in the shot, a yellow and a pink area in the white rock jump out. Clone that out, and in the future, what I suggest is that you take one shot were you actually poke your finger into the frame (in front of the lens) and block the sun and it's flaring in one frame you shoot. Then when processing, you use that frame as your basis to work from since it won't have any flaring in it. And then you just blend in the sun from a shot where you didn't block the sun.

#4 has some interesting rock structure in it, but some of the rock is over exposed, and sky is definitely overexposed. Hopefully you shot these in raw and watched your histogram to make sure you weren't blowing the highlights, then you could blend that sky into this frame.

I hope those suggestions help and don't seem overwhelming. Each shot has just a bit more work to really make them shine, they are close now, just a bit more work and you will have it.

Jim

May 07, 2013 at 07:00 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password