Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · "you want to put the dress where?!!"

jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · "you want to put the dress where?!!"

truehuss wrote:
Good job Mr. Colman. Yes, that is brave. I like to push the envelope but I think I would've chickened out on this one.

out of curiousity, was that the best angle? I feel like the angle is cool but I almost want to see a little more of the front of the dress. I'm just nit pickin

Thanks. That is not the best angle. But it's the best angle to show how high up the dress was.

May 06, 2013 at 03:58 PM
photosymbol
• •
p.2 #2 · "you want to put the dress where?!!"

I wouldn't be afraid of it dropping, i don't think it'd do much damage. I'd be more afraid of dust being all over the side there and getting the dress dirty.

May 06, 2013 at 05:33 PM
heikoM
• • •
p.2 #3 · "you want to put the dress where?!!"

one may like it or not, find it risky or not - I applause
be creative, do something new

well done

heiko

May 06, 2013 at 06:33 PM
Prettym1k3
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · "you want to put the dress where?!!"

On a slightly related note, two weekends ago I dropped a ring into some slats on a bench that it seemed like there was literally no way to get it out. My leatherman was at home, and I've never been so close to panic (and I'm not a panic-y type person).

I got it out in time, but about 5 seconds, for the bride and groom to come back and meet up with me after an outfit change.

I am not a very smart man.

May 06, 2013 at 07:10 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.2 #5 · "you want to put the dress where?!!"

Holy crap, this is why we have insurance, eh?

I was surprised / pleased at my last wedding. Bride had the dress in an awkward place with an ugly background, I said we'd need to move it, she said she wasnt bothered about a photo of the dress & would prefer not to move it. All good with me. I actually took NO detail images at all (as per request) the entire day, which was great! (Not that I dislike detail images)

May 06, 2013 at 07:38 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · "you want to put the dress where?!!"

Prettym1k3 wrote:
On a slightly related note, two weekends ago I dropped a ring into some slats on a bench that it seemed like there was literally no way to get it out. My leatherman was at home, and I've never been so close to panic (and I'm not a panic-y type person).

I got it out in time, but about 5 seconds, for the bride and groom to come back and meet up with me after an outfit change.

I am not a very smart man.

That is the worst. We did that once, never again. The rings went into this big beautiful solid wood table that had a crack in it which seemingly led to nothing but an inner hollowed out part of the table. I thought I was going to have to get a fireaxe, but we managed to get it out after about 5 minutes of putzing around. Never again.

May 06, 2013 at 07:58 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · "you want to put the dress where?!!"

Kudos to you guys who can do these shots and do them well. Personally, I'm getting away from shooting the dress in crazy places. I've heard a few horror stories first hand so I'll shoot the same boring shots of the dress (in a window, on the bed) or not at all. I stopped shooting rings a while ago and no one seems to have a problem with it. That leaves more time for me to concentrate on the actual wedding and the people.

May 06, 2013 at 11:38 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · "you want to put the dress where?!!"

maxwell1295 wrote:
I stopped shooting rings a while ago and no one seems to have a problem with it.

I used to never shoot the rings and I never heard a complaint about a missing ring shot. Then I started shooting the rings and I have never heard one single positive feedback about it from a client. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth putting in all the time it takes to do a ring shot.

May 06, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · "you want to put the dress where?!!"

D. Diggler wrote:
I used to never shoot the rings and I never heard a complaint about a missing ring shot. Then I started shooting the rings and I have never heard one single positive feedback about it from a client. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth putting in all the time it takes to do a ring shot.

Yeah I think it's such an obscure thing to shoot because it's so small. The shoes and stuff can make sense but we've started grouping our detail stuff together because frankly I don't want 5 pages worth of details and I don't make much in the way of collages in my albums.

May 07, 2013 at 12:02 AM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · "you want to put the dress where?!!"

D. Diggler wrote:

The only shots you miss are the ones they expect you to get, that you say you're going to get, and then you don't get them.

If they don't expect you to shoot rings and you let them know you don't shoot rings, then you can't miss it.

May 07, 2013 at 12:18 AM
eephoto
• •
p.2 #11 · "you want to put the dress where?!!"

I agree with one of the above posters... Oddly enough I wish I could see a smidge more of the top of the dress. I also wonder when you do shots like this do you worry about ripping the dress because you are handling it so much and in a non-traditional way? I like the depth to it for sure...

May 07, 2013 at 01:22 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · "you want to put the dress where?!!"

maxwell1295 wrote:
The only shots you miss are the ones they expect you to get

I've actually been shooting rings now for a couple years but I've never shown a ring shot in my portfolio or blog.

May 07, 2013 at 05:27 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.2 #13 · "you want to put the dress where?!!"

I like detail shots, the bride puts so much effort into decorating the venue that I think it's important to take at least a few detail shots, even if you only give them a little bit of album space.

May 07, 2013 at 06:36 AM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.2 #14 · "you want to put the dress where?!!"

Jim is the dog's bollocks.

The 'what can happen' in that image is crazy.

May 09, 2013 at 01:48 AM
ktan7

p.2 #15 · "you want to put the dress where?!!"

That's pretty high to hang. I wouldn't hang it there.

May 09, 2013 at 10:25 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password