New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Dual Purpose Camera Bag?

uintaangler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dual Purpose Camera Bag?

I am looking for a bag to take on a trip that can do this....
Carry my laptop ( 14" x 10" and pretty thin ), a few books, battery chargers for two cameras, laptop cables, small external hard drive - basically act as my carry-on briefcase for a plane trip while all my camera gear for a week-long trip is in my backpack on my back

AND then, when I get to my rental car, use that same bag as my field shooting while on my trip - most of the time carrying a Nikon full frame DSLR and about 4/5 lenses - the longest being the 70-200 F/4

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

May 05, 2013 at 11:09 AM
sperraglia
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dual Purpose Camera Bag?

Try a think tank urban disguise - I like the 60 for the laptop and then get the backpack harness attachment. Perfect for airport, lots of space in bag and then you can use the harness and it works in the field.

May 05, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dual Purpose Camera Bag?

Gura Gear's Chobe is also an outstanding option.

May 05, 2013 at 03:18 PM
sperraglia
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dual Purpose Camera Bag?

Rajan Parrikar wrote:
Gura Gear's Chobe is also an outstanding option.

Yeah, but more expensive and I don't think has a harness attachment.

May 05, 2013 at 05:13 PM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dual Purpose Camera Bag?

The Chobe is too expensive based on the fact that most of the time I prefer backpack bags and this is sort of a one-off type situation

Thanks.

May 05, 2013 at 05:18 PM
Savas K
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dual Purpose Camera Bag?

If you're shooting casually and speed is not of the essence, get some neoprene pouches / lens cases for the gear and put the gear into a regular valise that you might already own.

May 05, 2013 at 08:08 PM
Defy
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Dual Purpose Camera Bag?

So I use my pelican 1510 or my Guru kiboko (when i need the 300mm) to haul my gear and a timbuk2 messenger bag for my lappy and books while traveling. Then when I am out and about I just use the timbuk2 with an insert for my camera gear Normally a D800 w/50mm, 24-70, 16-35.

May 05, 2013 at 08:53 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Dual Purpose Camera Bag?

A Timbuk2 medium messenger will hold all that junk just fine. You can use your own insert or buy the Timbuk2 Snoop with included insert. When you're off-duty, pull out the inset and use the bag to go to yoga class or carry diapers and beer.

May 06, 2013 at 01:23 AM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Dual Purpose Camera Bag?

Went to the downtown camera store and they had the Tenba Messenger Large
Laptop fit nicely into the laptop compartment
Good price: $109
So I bought one
Thanks for all the excellent suggestions

May 06, 2013 at 04:42 PM
Lunchb0x8
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Dual Purpose Camera Bag?

Crumpler make some lovely packs and messengers.

I use the C-List celeb medium, but the small would have sufficed at the time of purchase, thankfully it was out of stock, as I bought the medium, which is currently bordering on too small.

I carry the following;

MacBookAir 11"
iPad Retina
Charger for MBA
5DMkIII with any of my lenses attached
Charger for 5DMkIII
24-105F/4L
16-35F/2.8LII
85F/1.8
Two intervalometer remotes (in case one dies and I need to start the next shot)
Batteries for remotes
External HDD for media and backups on the move
Card readers
Spare SD and CF cards
USB keys for temp storage of files for people
When travelling I use the tripod pouch for my tripod.
Flash (430EXII)
USB cable for 5DMkIII
Lenspens

it goes on... but this bag carries it all and is comfortable to wear when wandering around for long periods.

May 06, 2013 at 09:39 PM
JustinR
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Dual Purpose Camera Bag?

uintaangler wrote:
I am looking for a bag to take on a trip that can do this....
Carry my laptop ( 14" x 10" and pretty thin ), a few books, battery chargers for two cameras, laptop cables, small external hard drive - basically act as my carry-on briefcase for a plane trip while all my camera gear for a week-long trip is in my backpack on my back

AND then, when I get to my rental car, use that same bag as my field shooting while on my trip - most of the time carrying a Nikon full frame DSLR and about 4/5
...Show more

I'm using a Timbuk2 large Commute laptop messenger with their small Snoop camera insert and it works great for that purpose. There is a fair amount of extra space around the camera insert with this combo, and it is quite a bit larger than you need for your laptop (I have a very large 15.6" laptop that barely fits in this case) Pick whichever laptop messenger you like or can find on sale. I've heard good things about the Crumpler packs and camera inserts, and I believe it based on my 4MDH, but I haven't used any of the Crumpler packs of the type your are looking for.

-Justin

May 07, 2013 at 02:14 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.