Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · Swift Current

khilleg
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Swift Current

Beautiful, Mark! I've never been there, but it's on my list!

Good backstory, too.

I heard GNP only has cell service for Verizon?

Kevin

May 06, 2013 at 05:31 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Swift Current

Jglaser757 wrote:
Love the image,,great color,,great visualization!!,,AND,,,Love the conditions that make it all worth it!!Nothing better than suffering for your ART!

Thank you very much. I'd maybe re phrase the last statement as: "Nothing better than being able to suffer for your ART!"

May 07, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Swift Current

Jglaser757 wrote:
Love the image,,great color,,great visualization!!,,AND,,,Love the conditions that make it all worth it!!Nothing better than suffering for your ART!

Thank you very much. I'd maybe re phrase the last statement as: "Nothing better than being able to suffer for your ART!"

khilleg wrote:
Beautiful, Mark! I've never been there, but it's on my list!

Good backstory, too.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin. That is correct. Very little ATT out there.

May 07, 2013 at 12:53 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Swift Current

Hey Mark,

A nice shot you got here, the water flows very nicely.

Jim

May 07, 2013 at 01:18 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Swift Current

roman.johnston wrote:
Thom Hogan recently (last few months) had a comment on his page talking about how one of his colleagues mentioned that you cannot get a good shot looking downstream. I immediately posted one of my shots looking out over a falls and down the stream to show that was a false idea. This shot of yours also soundly disproves that theory.

Very nice shot Mark. The most amazing shots come when mother nature is at her "worst".a

Roman

Thanks Roman. Of course one can get a good shot downstream (as you know) it just has to be beautiful! Maybe a new frontier? Since most look upstream? Thanks for your feedback here man. Always appreciate it!

May 08, 2013 at 02:21 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Swift Current

I really like the sky formation and colors. The water movement complements the overall mood.
Nicely done Mark!
Fred

May 08, 2013 at 02:40 AM
Paul Gardner
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Swift Current

A great scene and a great shot. I would like to see one of the images where the water is NOT blurred. There are some of us whom still prefer unblurred water.

May 08, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Ear Mountain
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Swift Current

khilleg wrote:

There is very limited cell service INSIDE Glacier. On the east side when out of the park Verizon service is better. The west side has more cell service options but once inside of Apgar service disappears for the most part. There may be some exceptions when high on Going to the Sun Road but service will be spotty there.

May 08, 2013 at 01:53 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Swift Current

Paul Gardner wrote:
There are some of us whom still prefer unblurred water.

You are kidding right?

Just kidding! .

May 09, 2013 at 12:49 AM
AndrewThomas
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Swift Current

Always enjoy opening your posts Mark!
cheers Andrew

May 09, 2013 at 01:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Chris Steele

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Swift Current

Awesome shot. Love it. You know it's stuff like this that got me into photography many years ago, and now I've drifted away from it. I shoot many weddings and portraits for money and forget to go shoot for myself. This inspired me to get back out there in my spare (yeah right!) time.

Noticed we are from the same area too, so hello from a fellow Portlander!

May 09, 2013 at 04:13 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Swift Current

Chris Steele wrote:
Awesome shot. Love it. You know it's stuff like this that got me into photography many years ago, and now I've drifted away from it. I shoot many weddings and portraits for money and forget to go shoot for myself. This inspired me to get back out there in my spare (yeah right!) time.

Noticed we are from the same area too, so hello from a fellow Portlander!

That is Awesome fellow Portlander! Glad it inspired you. We all need it huh?! I hope you go out and have a great time.

May 09, 2013 at 05:36 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Swift Current

Mark Metternich wrote:
You are kidding right?

Just kidding! .

Mark,
I think you have chosen the right S/S for the water & cloud texture here.
Just enough to communicate the energy & movement.
Some like the cotton-candy look, which this doesn't have.
Using an ND, like a Big Stopper, often is like using an ON/OFF switch instead of a volume control.
Then of course there is the effects on the highlight-exposure.

I like how you've balanced these choices with the overall composition.

Dan

May 09, 2013 at 05:47 PM
John S. Hudson
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Swift Current

Mark, awesome image, as usual. If you don't mind my asking, what is your computer setup these days? Monitor, hardware, etc? Just curious, as I want to build a new system sometime soon.

May 09, 2013 at 09:59 PM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Swift Current

Fantastic Image.

May 09, 2013 at 10:32 PM
richardfromla
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Swift Current

Beautiful.

May 09, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Swift Current

John S. Hudson wrote:
Mark, awesome image, as usual. If you don't mind my asking, what is your computer setup these days? Monitor, hardware, etc?

I have the same computer and monitor as I have had for about 3 years. Will likely upgrade in a year or so. Nothing special. Decent for its time. Upper quality Dell with 12 gigs ram, Dell Ultrasharp calibrated with Spyder Elite. I move around some huge files for processing for my clients (I do post processing for fine art photographers freelance) especially. Sometimes large format scans. Or panoramas sewn together with the D800 or 40, 50, 60, 80 mp medium format files, or simply big enlargements made with a typical DSLR. And still it does a pretty good job. Lately I have been using Advanced System Care 6 (maybe look it up). It has a "turbo mode" where when I really need ram it will temporarily turn off all the unnecessary programs running in the background to free up ram. It works wonders especially on videos. Since I am in the process of producing a lot of post production training video/downloads, I have really needed this boost! The monitor is fantastic. Shows nearly the entire Adobe RGB space and is very consistent all around. When calibrated correctly (I have a few tricks up my sleeve on that one) I can produce fantastic accuracy in print. Enough to satisfy even the master print maker (one of the biggest names in photography tried to hire me not to long ago

So bottom line. I dont think you need to spent too much to get a great set up these days. I'd rather spend my money spending more time on the road if I can help it.

Hope it helps!

Edited on May 10, 2013 at 02:41 AM · View previous versions

May 10, 2013 at 02:36 AM
John S. Hudson
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Swift Current

Mark Metternich wrote:
I have the same computer and monitor as I have had for about 3 years. Will likely upgrade in a year or so. Nothing special. Decent for its time. Upper quality Dell with 12 gigs ram, Dell Ultrasharp calibrated with Spyder Elite. I move around some huge files for processing for my clients (I do post processing for fine art photographers freelance) especially. Sometimes large format scans. Or panoramas sewn together with the D800 or 40, 50, 60, 80 mp medium format files, or simply big enlargements made with a typical DSLR. And still it does a pretty good
...Show more

Thanks Mark!

May 10, 2013 at 02:41 AM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Swift Current

BAM - what a shot Mark!

May 10, 2013 at 03:09 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Swift Current

Using an ND, like a Big Stopper, often is like using an ON/OFF switch instead of a volume control.
Dan

Thanks Dan for the feedback. I quoted part of it. I never use the ND grads anymore. But gotta still polarize around water!

May 11, 2013 at 01:18 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password