Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · FM3-D imagined..What would you do?

joeisayo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · FM3-D imagined..What would you do?

I would love an option of an FM3, Canon F1N, Pentax LX, or Olympus OM4 in digital monochrome.

May 04, 2013 at 06:34 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · FM3-D imagined..What would you do?

Nikon makes a fair number of sharp, small primes that look silly hanging off my D800. Give me a clean, classic set of 35-50-85 (the current 28/1.8, 50/1.4 and 85/1.8 would work) and an FM3-D body with an FX sensor and I'd grab before the pixels announcing it had dried. Small, light, fast, full-frame heaven.

Peace,

Todd

May 04, 2013 at 06:43 PM
philipj
• • •
p.2 #3 · FM3-D imagined..What would you do?

I think any FX sensor interchangeable lens system with autofocus is going to have large lenses. There's just not much you can do when you need to cram AF motors and the requisite amount of glass inside modern lenses to keep them all that small. Having seen some of the 1 NIKKORs in person I was unimpressed with how small they were, particularly given the ~2.7x decrease in sensor size compared to FX, so I don't see why anyone would think lenses for an FX-sized sensor would be much smaller than what we have now. Maybe a little shorter given the flange-to-sensor distance being a new parameter to play with, but in weight/radius, can't imagine much difference.

That being said, I'd love a smaller digital FX camera with an F mount for my AI-s glass, and would be first in line were one announced.

May 04, 2013 at 06:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mark_L
• • • •
p.2 #4 · FM3-D imagined..What would you do?

j.liam wrote:
I see your point; part of why I gave up on the D800. But the FM-2 for whatever ergonomic reason, doesn't trouble me in this way. Maybe I got used to its size shooting for 15 years before getting a DSLR.

I guess it varies. I used my FM with a 50mm for 4 years shooting street and my hand used to cramp holding it because there was no hand 'battery bulge' or whatever it is called. All the oly OM-D users I know have ended up buying a grip for this reason.

It seems odd to take the biggest benefit of mirrorless cameras (no mirror, therefore size) and then stick slr lenses on them. You may as well make a digital FM2/3a slr with optical viewfinder.

May 04, 2013 at 07:02 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.2 #5 · FM3-D imagined..What would you do?

Well, it offers people the chance to use what they already own rather than getting a slew of
new glass and interchangeability/interoperability with their DSLR's of the same mount.

A hybrid VF would provide the best of both. To balance SLR lenses, a featherweight body isn't necessarily desirable.

May 04, 2013 at 07:05 PM
mightaswell

p.2 #6 · FM3-D imagined..What would you do?

I don't agree with those making assumptions about minimum body thickness. With the constant progress of miniaturization, who's to say what the technical requirements would be.

So I've been thinking about it, and I think a Nikon FA/OM-4 configuration is the way to go. Mirror, Pentaprism, meter, basic PASM logic.

The only thing, and now we're getting really crazy, would a new mount with a fairly shallow registration distance. However, the new mount would have the ability to read and operate the aperture pins and levers of various other lens mounts with a proper adapter. Enabling open aperture metering, and PASM modes on appropriate lenses. Like a Tamron Adaptall in reverse.

anyways it's all a dream because we are probably not going to see the combination of a stripped down retro style, pentaprism, FF camera. Fuji is going to stick with retro and crop; Sony will probably do FF but it will also be mirrorless and follow their (nonexistent) design and ergonomics. Canon and Nikon are too committed to selling cameras to soccer moms and uncle bobs to gamble on something this niche.

Come to think of it, Pentax is just quirky enough that something like an ME-Super D (god I hope they use that name ahha) is not entirely stuck in the land of fantasy. But you can never count on them to release anything.

May 06, 2013 at 05:07 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password