Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · FM3-D imagined..What would you do?

j.liam
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · FM3-D imagined..What would you do?

On the off chance someone at Nikon, (and not the geniuses who came up with the V1/2 line) are listening, what would you do if Nikon introduced a retro-design (a la Olympus, Fuji) compact, full-frame F-mount body the size of the FM2/3 with, say, 18-24MP, mirrorless or mirror w/ prism and hybrid VF with focus-peak assist, optimized for manual focus and /1.2, that can still AF with G-type lenses (but not screw-driven D's).

Edited on May 04, 2013 at 03:45 PM · View previous versions

May 04, 2013 at 02:51 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · FM3-D imagined..What would you do?

I wouldn't be interested unless there was a new lens line. The point of mirrorless is size and mounting a 70-200 or 85mm 1.4 on these makes no sense and I'd just take my D800E. While the all metal bodies of these cameras was nice in some ways they were pretty heavy.

May 04, 2013 at 02:57 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · FM3-D imagined..What would you do?

Mark_L wrote:
I wouldn't be interested unless there was a new lens line.

Ah, but the point is NOT to have to deal with yet another mount incompatible with everything else.

May 04, 2013 at 03:01 PM
galenapass
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · FM3-D imagined..What would you do?

j.liam wrote:
Ah, but the point is NOT to have to deal with yet another mount incompatible with everything else.

But why have a mirrorless camera if you are stuck with the same sized lenses? I think your point is not compatible with what the majority of people want, and why there is a movement towards mirrorless/MFT cameras. The MFT cameras are popular because they offer a small easy to carry around size and very good IQ. They don't require that you mount the same sized lenses. One read of the alt forum will confirm that most people are moving toward these systems due to size - at least that is what I take away from it.

May 04, 2013 at 03:18 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · FM3-D imagined..What would you do?

j.liam wrote:

I understand that but maybe have an adapter for existing F mount because otherwise the whole concept is pointless.

May 04, 2013 at 03:21 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · FM3-D imagined..What would you do?

Mark_L wrote:
I understand that but maybe have an adapter for existing F mount because otherwise the whole concept is pointless.

Or the other way around since it would be oriented toward owners of the millions of AI'd, AI and AIS lenses in circulation.

May 04, 2013 at 03:26 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · FM3-D imagined..What would you do?

j.liam wrote:
On the off chance someone at Nikon, (and not the geniuses who came up with the V1/2 line) are listening, what would you do if Nikon introduced a retro-design (a la Olympus, Fuji) compact, full-frame F-mount body the size of the FM2/3 with, say, 18-24MP, prism and hybrid VF with focus-peak assist, optimized for manual focus and /1.2, that can still AF with G-type lenses (but not screw-driven D's).

Definitely interested - I don't use 90% of the things my D800 can do and a slimmed down version optimized for non-AF operation would be a very very welcomed addition to my gear. I currently have a m43 GH-2 for my much lighter body.

One of the things I don't like about Nikon's DXXX line is the bulk of the body - especially when having it slung around my torso. An FM2/FM3A sized camera and some pancake primes would go along way toward having FX be a more pleasurable experience for on-the go shooting.

John

May 04, 2013 at 03:48 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · FM3-D imagined..What would you do?

jhinkey wrote:
I don't use 90% of the things my D800 can do and a slimmed down version optimized for non-AF operation would be a very very welcomed addition to my gear.
One of the things I don't like about Nikon's DXXX line is the bulk of the body - especially when having it slung around my torso. An FM2/FM3A sized camera and some pancake primes would go along way toward having FX be a more pleasurable experience for on-the go shooting.

John

I think John gets precisely what my imaginary design is aiming for. Fair to posit that many aren't interested in yet another mount and given the popularity of adapters for Fuji X, NEX and the Metabones speed booster, people are happy using the best of the old SLR lenses they have on a simpler, more compact body. For tiny, a Sony RX-100 will do, but we're not talking about that.

Video? Screw-drive AF lenses? The myriad of menu options buried somewhere, I can neither find, need nor care to spend time using? I can live without them all. I kept my FM-2 to shoot B&W film for the purpose of simplicity.

May 04, 2013 at 04:07 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · FM3-D imagined..What would you do?

Well, no vote from me. I want a mirror and prism, not an EVF.

May 04, 2013 at 04:15 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · FM3-D imagined..What would you do?

Mark_L wrote:
I wouldn't be interested unless there was a new lens line. The point of mirrorless is size and mounting a 70-200 or 85mm 1.4 on these makes no sense and I'd just take my D800E. While the all metal bodies of these cameras was nice in some ways they were pretty heavy.

+10 My only issue with the V2 is it's price. If it were $500 - $600 I would own one already.

May 04, 2013 at 04:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · FM3-D imagined..What would you do?

I bought a FE2 to screw around with using my last brick of Provia 100 - and every time I look through the viewfinder and handle the body I say to myself - boy I wish this had a digital sensor in it!

May 04, 2013 at 04:20 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · FM3-D imagined..What would you do?

jhinkey wrote:
Definitely interested - I don't use 90% of the things my D800 can do and a slimmed down version optimized for non-AF operation would be a very very welcomed addition to my gear. I currently have a m43 GH-2 for my much lighter body.

John

D600!!! Sounds like that would fit the bill in terms of size and you could get an after-marke focus screen for the viewfinder.

May 04, 2013 at 04:21 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · FM3-D imagined..What would you do?

carstenw wrote:

See above, "mirror less or mirror with prism and hybrid finder". Go ahead and vote. I agree, mirror and prism with a hybrid finder at the least.

May 04, 2013 at 04:22 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · FM3-D imagined..What would you do?

carstenw wrote:

I'll take an EVF if I can see what's actually in focus with my f/2 and faster lenses AND see the whole frame.
EVFs now are getting really really good for resolution, update rate, and noise . . .
They have their downsides for sure (as do OVFs), but they have lots of other positive features over OVFs that make them really attractive for many users.
I could go either way if either was done right and optimized for fast glass in low light situations.

John

May 04, 2013 at 04:23 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · FM3-D imagined..What would you do?

Andre Labonte wrote:
D600!!! Sounds like that would fit the bill in terms of size and you could get an after-marke focus screen for the viewfinder.

Nah - D600 is still too big . . . might as well stay with my D800.

John

May 04, 2013 at 04:24 PM
joeisayo
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · FM3-D imagined..What would you do?

I would love a monochrome (18-24MP) version of the FM3. A nice combo with the Zeiss 35/50 F2's.

May 04, 2013 at 04:33 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · FM3-D imagined..What would you do?

joeisayo wrote:
I would love a monochrome (18-24MP) version of the FM3. A nice combo with the Zeiss 35/50 F2's.

Imagine that, a monochrome option. Cool. If Leica can do it...

May 04, 2013 at 04:36 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · FM3-D imagined..What would you do?

A big reason I bought a grip for the D800E was to balance it better with fast lenses and so my hand didn't feel like it was about to fall off the bottom. I cannot imagine a FM body with these.

May 04, 2013 at 04:55 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · FM3-D imagined..What would you do?

Mark_L wrote:
A big reason I bought a grip for the D800E was to balance it better with fast lenses and so my hand didn't feel like it was about to fall off the bottom. I cannot imagine a FM body with these.

I see your point; part of why I gave up on the D800. But the FM-2 for whatever ergonomic reason, doesn't trouble me in this way. Maybe I got used to its size shooting for 15 years before getting a DSLR.

May 04, 2013 at 05:07 PM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · FM3-D imagined..What would you do?

Classic rangefinder with digital sensor: Success by Leica
Classic "pseudo rangefinder" with digital sensor: Success by Fuji
Classic SLR style, mirrorless with digital sensor: Success by Olympus
Classic compact manual SLR with mirror and digital sensor: None

Is there any reason to believe that the last niche wouldn't be as successful as the others? I don't think so. There seem to be enough potential customers for such a camera to make it profitable for Nikon, and the FM3A would be a perfect base for it. With updated coatings and a few other small adjustments, I'm sure some of the AI-S lenses would work excellently on such a camera, generating extra lens sales for Nikon as well. 50mm f/1.2 AI-D anyone? 105mm f/2.5? Just keep it simple, Nikon.

May 04, 2013 at 06:13 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password