Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Samyang 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt-Shift Lens Reviews!

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt-Shift Lens Reviews!

Update:
Roger posted resolution numbers and his initial impressions on the new Samyang 24mm tilt-shift:
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/05/first-look-at-the-rokibowyang-24mm-f3-5-tilt-shift-lens-part-1

May 06, 2013 at 01:57 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt-Shift Lens Reviews!

A bit disappointing from the looks of it, I was hoping for better. Looks like I better just save for the Canon.

May 06, 2013 at 02:41 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt-Shift Lens Reviews!

Disappointing, but not unexpected. Pretty hard to have great mechanical and optics at that price.

I'd certainly be curious how the Samyang compares to a batch of the original Canon 24 TS-E. I didn't find the old Canon all that bad, once the CA was cleaned up. I would certainly buy a used Canon original at $750-800, over this Samyang.

May 06, 2013 at 03:12 PM
dgdg
• • •
p.2 #4 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt-Shift Lens Reviews!

I don't know.... Stopped down to f10 where many would probably use it, seems ok. Haven't seem CA results yet.

May 06, 2013 at 03:13 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.2 #5 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt-Shift Lens Reviews!

The Canon 24mm TS-E II still reigns supreme. As it should.

May 06, 2013 at 03:14 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.2 #6 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt-Shift Lens Reviews!

For anyone interested, the dissection is posted: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/05/first-look-rokinon-24mm-f3-5-tilt-shift-part-2

Build quality is really pretty good.

May 07, 2013 at 01:09 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt-Shift Lens Reviews!

The lack of adjustability is not good if you have a bad copy.

I don't see the Samsung as a good value. $1000 is still a lot of money for a lens that is not really right.

EBH

May 07, 2013 at 02:25 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #8 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt-Shift Lens Reviews!

RCicala wrote:
For anyone interested, the dissection is posted: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/05/first-look-rokinon-24mm-f3-5-tilt-shift-part-2

Build quality is really pretty good.

I enjoyed reading the tear down Roger. It seems like the Samyang's engineers were able to design a budget lens with decent mechanical and optical quality. The only concern is the rotation-locking levers. Having the screws and levers metal would make photographers less concern about this lens reliability.
Question: I have read reports that their 14mm f/2.8's screws (3) from the metal mount are actually screwed in plastic instead of metal. Is it the same for their tilt and shift?

May 07, 2013 at 04:55 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.2 #9 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt-Shift Lens Reviews!

I'm a 3d artist and could easily mock up replacement plastic parts on a 3d printer..... I wonder if there is any legal issues doing so? If you sell them of course.

May 07, 2013 at 05:01 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.2 #10 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt-Shift Lens Reviews!

Fred Miranda wrote:
Question: I have read reports that their 14mm f/2.8's screws (3) from the metal mount are actually screwed in plastic instead of metal. Is it the same for their tilt and shift?

Fred, there are some screws into plastic on the tilt=shift, but the plastic is much more robust than the 14 and the screws have thicker threads. I'm much more comfortable with the tilt-shift. The other RokiBowYang primes have, to put it mildly, a fairly short half-life. I think the build quality here, while not Canon or Nikon, is clearly better.

May 07, 2013 at 05:06 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #11 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt-Shift Lens Reviews!

RCicala wrote:
Fred, there are some screws into plastic on the tilt=shift, but the plastic is much more robust than the 14 and the screws have thicker threads. I'm much more comfortable with the tilt-shift. The other RokiBowYang primes have, to put it mildly, a fairly short half-life. I think the build quality here, while not Canon or Nikon, is clearly better.

That's good to know Roger. Perhaps they will update their current 14mm with a similar build soon.
Best,
Fred

May 08, 2013 at 02:06 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password