Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt-Shift Lens Reviews!

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt-Shift Lens Reviews!

Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC In Stock!
Roger at LensRentals posted his first look at the new Samyang 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt-Shift Lens.
Here is an excerpt from his blog:

"I consider it reasonably priced for the image quality it delivers, but not a screaming bargain by any means. (I consider the RokiBowYang 14mm a screaming bargain.) But, since there is very little competition in the ‘reasonably priced’ tilt-shift lens category, I expect it will sell well."
Resolution test - Lens Teardown

Ephotozine also posted a full review on this lens.

B&H Photo has the Rokinon 24mm f/3.5 ED UMC Tilt-Shift in stock:
Canon mount | Nikon mount

Adorama just received a limited batch of the new Samyang 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt-Shift Lens for the Canon mount.

Left to right: The Nikon, Samyang, and Canon 24mm tilt-shift lenses

May 04, 2013 at 12:10 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt-Shift Lens Reviews!

It looks like a nice lens. Do you know if the tilt and shift axes can be rotated with respect to each other? For example, in the lens images at the Adorama link, the lens is set up for nose up/down tilt when you shift side to side.

May 04, 2013 at 12:16 PM
tsdevine
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt-Shift Lens Reviews!

In the first shot, it looks like the knobs are in a row...which seems to imply that you can.

May 04, 2013 at 12:22 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt-Shift Lens Reviews!

We got a bunch in yesterday - you can rotate the tilt and shift lanes with respect to each other.

I did preliminary testing yesterday and have one to shoot with this weekend. Initial impression is that optically it's OK -- no Canon 24 TS-E, but still OK. Hopefully have a post up with Imatest results by Monday.

I've got real concerns with the build quality, though. The lever that you push to rotate things is very flimsy plastic (it's metal in every other tilt shift I've used) and I can definitely see it breaking off, for example (it flexes 30 degrees just pushing it to rotate things). With most of the RokiBowYangs I don't worry about build quality too much, the price makes that a very reasonable trade off. But I'm a little leary about a $1,000 lens that will be nearly impossible to get repaired being quick to fail. I'll probably tear one down next week and poke around inside to check on that a bit further.

May 04, 2013 at 12:28 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt-Shift Lens Reviews!

RCicala wrote:
We got a bunch in yesterday - you can rotate the tilt and shift lanes with respect to each other.

Thanks, Roger.

RCicala wrote:
I did preliminary testing yesterday and have one to shoot with this weekend. Initial impression is that optically it's OK -- no Canon 24 TS-E, but still OK. Hopefully have a post up with Imatest results by Monday.

I've got real concerns with the build quality, though. The lever that you push to rotate things is very flimsy plastic (it's metal in every other tilt shift I've used) and I can definitely see it breaking off, for example (it flexes 30 degrees just pushing it to rotate things). With most of the RokiBowYangs I don't worry about build quality too
...Show more

I look forward to seeing your results. Of course, it's academic for me, as I already own the TS-E 24/3.5L II.

May 04, 2013 at 12:59 PM
raydee

p.1 #6 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt-Shift Lens Reviews!

RCicala wrote:

Looking forward to your review, flare behavior would be interesting too...

May 04, 2013 at 01:01 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #7 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt-Shift Lens Reviews!

RCicala wrote:

I've got real concerns with the build quality, though. The lever that you push to rotate things is very flimsy plastic (it's metal in every other tilt shift I've used) and I can definitely see it breaking off, for example (it flexes
...Show more

It looks very promising but it's not a $300 lens like their 14mm.
My copy of their 14mm is amazingly sharp all the way to the corners but build quality concerns me as well. You have to baby this lens...Have you ever tested the 14mm "RokiBowYang" against the Canon's? Landscape photographers would be very interested on a Roger-style comparison.

May 04, 2013 at 02:53 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt-Shift Lens Reviews!

Fred,

I actually own the RokiBowYang 14 myself. I haven't done number because I think Imatest is less accurate for things wider than 16mm, but I find it exceptionally sharp, although with quite a bit more barrel distortion than the Canon. But for the price I consider the 14mm basically a disposable lens -- replacing it doesn't cost a lot more than a repair on a Canon 14mm.

But when it's a $1,000 lens I can't consider it disposable and I'm a little more concerned about reliability. I'll also add that 1 of the 8 copies we got yesterday was horridly decentered out of the box - so the usual 'buy a 3rd party lens from a reliable place that will take it back' applies.

May 04, 2013 at 04:19 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #9 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt-Shift Lens Reviews!

making me feel ok about buying a new nikon 24 pc-e so close to this release

May 04, 2013 at 09:21 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt-Shift Lens Reviews!

The full post isn't up yet, but the MTF 50 results are a bit disappointing - although this is compared to one of the sharpest tilt-shifts in the world.

Center MTF50 canon 24 TS-E II 910 LP/IH, Samyang 730 LP / IH
Average MTF 50 Canon 24 TS-E II 775 LP / IH, Samyang 560 LP / IH

For some perspective, the Canon 24-105 IS at 24mm resolves 840 center and 690 average.
So the Samyang is definitely decent, but not surprisingly can't match the Canon. I suspect (I don't have them to compare) that the Samyang is resolving about what the original 24mm TS-E did.

The other Samyangs are so sharp that I guess I'd set the bar a bit higher than I should have.

May 04, 2013 at 09:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt-Shift Lens Reviews!

RCicala wrote:
The full post isn't up yet, but the MTF 50 results are a bit disappointing - although this is compared to one of the sharpest tilt-shifts in the world.

Center MTF50 canon 24 TS-E II 910 LP/IH, Samyang 730 LP / IH
Average MTF 50 Canon 24 TS-E II 775 LP / IH, Samyang 560 LP / IH

For some perspective, the Canon 24-105 IS at 24mm resolves 840 center and 690 average.
So the Samyang is definitely decent, but not surprisingly can't match the Canon. I suspect (I don't have them to compare) that the Samyang is resolving about
...Show more

Wow even worse than the 24-105 at 24?? Hmmm.. I guess one day I'll save for the Canon.
And $1000 is a bit much just to play around with fun tilt effects (and it doesn't even sound sharp enough to make up for being able to do some scenes at f/5.6 vs f/13 to avoid diffraction).
Weak knob sounds questionable too.
hmmm

My 14mm Bower is amazing though.

Edited on May 04, 2013 at 09:48 PM · View previous versions

May 04, 2013 at 09:41 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt-Shift Lens Reviews!

Disappointing. Honestly these days a prime and especially a tilt shift has to be right on the money or you may as well use a convenient zoom.

Glad I have the 24tse. I guess this makes sense if you shoot nikon and dont want the 14-24 or shoot other mounts that dont have tse's

May 04, 2013 at 09:44 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt-Shift Lens Reviews!

Pretty much what samples said. I just dont get "why".

May 04, 2013 at 09:52 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt-Shift Lens Reviews!

Samples said

EBH

May 05, 2013 at 01:33 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt-Shift Lens Reviews!

EB-1 wrote:
Samples said

EBH

Lenstip samples said: "We look kinda disappointing to say the least". (I assume he was referring to what these samples said.)

(although the Samyang samples said: "We think we actually look fairly promising.")

May 05, 2013 at 01:40 AM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt-Shift Lens Reviews!

Thanks for the blog post Roger. For those that haven't read, the Samyang seems to sharpen up nicely upon stopping down, right where a lot of tripod shooters will be hanging out anyway (f8-f16ish) and it pretty much approaches the Canons performance...at least unshifted.

Seeing some shifted comparisons will be interesting.

May 05, 2013 at 08:18 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt-Shift Lens Reviews!

cputeq wrote:
Thanks for the blog post Roger. For those that haven't read, the Samyang seems to sharpen up nicely upon stopping down, right where a lot of tripod shooters will be hanging out anyway (f8-f16ish) and it pretty much approaches the Canons performance...at least unshifted.

Seeing some shifted comparisons will be interesting.

at f/8 is still seems to measure quite a bit below, although at f/11 it seems the same (I wonder what large scale contrast is like) for stuff you could get away with at f/8 or tilt into DOF at f/5.6 the Canon seems much better, if you simply need f/11 or at least f/13 then assuming the contrast and PF and such are good maybe they are not so different

it's odd that the Samyang seems to hold onto performance at f/13+ better, maybe the apertures are not delivering the same values and the Samyang is running slow??

(the full-scale samples at LR blog look horrendous! f/3.5 maybe the focus was placed oddly and then with f/3.5 we got that, but man the OOF areas look vile a truly awful rendering by the lens, something seems to be weird with the shots but maybe it just performs like that. SOme of the shots seem like they'd require f/5 at least if not f/8-f/11, so if they were taken at f/3.5 it's hard to say what is up (other than OOF areas look gnarly to the max).

May 06, 2013 at 12:32 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt-Shift Lens Reviews!

skibum, I'm not certain from the few shots I've seen, but I think there's a lot of spherical aberration wide open (plus other abberrations, of course). I think the spherical aberrations are cleaning up as it's stopped down. The Canon lens is so amazing wide open there's not much improvement as it's stopped down so the diffraction softening shows up more.

Unfortunately by the time I saw the f/3.5 shots on a monitor it had started raining again.

May 06, 2013 at 01:05 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt-Shift Lens Reviews!

Aberrations are terrible. Did they miscalculate the optical formulas?

EBH

May 06, 2013 at 01:17 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Samyang 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt-Shift Lens Reviews!

I only have the 8 copies and all are from the same shipment. It could be possible they had a bad assembly run, maybe. I doubt it, but it is a possibility.

Some are supposed to arrive from a different supply Monday or Tuesday, so I'll double check them. But looking at Lenstips' images I think that's just how the lens is. On the other hand, ephotozine thought it was excellent.

May 06, 2013 at 02:04 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password