Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Does flash diffuser prevent red-eye?

D. Diggler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Does flash diffuser prevent red-eye?

We all know that an on-camera flash shot direct-on can cause red-eye. What I'm wondering is if a flash diffuser (such as the one below) used on a direct-on flash will prevent red-eye? Or no difference?

May 04, 2013 at 06:16 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Does flash diffuser prevent red-eye?

It has more to do with the angle. You want the flash away from the lens a bit. That's why point n shoots have crazy red eye

May 04, 2013 at 06:32 AM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Does flash diffuser prevent red-eye?

All they really do is send light in all directions the source size and placement is still the same.

Most photogs will either bounce off walls, get the flash off the camera or bleed in a good amount of ambient light topping it up with direct flash, all of which mean no red-eye. You only really get it when you are blasting on camera flash at people which isn't a great look anyway, in the days of poor high iso photogs would often use flash brackets to get the flash further off the lens axis.

May 04, 2013 at 01:38 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Does flash diffuser prevent red-eye?

It "helps". In the configuration you're showing, you should see very little "red-eye".

May 04, 2013 at 06:42 PM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Does flash diffuser prevent red-eye?

TTLKurtis wrote:
It has more to do with the angle. You want the flash away from the lens a bit. That's why point n shoots have crazy red eye

I don't think it will make much difference - as TTLKurtis says, it's more about how close the flash is to the lens

- using an external flash raises the flash head away from the lens
- this is useful at short distances

If you are a long way from your subject (like 30 feet), the flash is still 'close' to the lens from their perspective, so you will still see red eye at long distances

May 04, 2013 at 08:16 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Does flash diffuser prevent red-eye?

one benefit of this type of diffuser is it does soften the harshness of direct flash a little bit, I don't think I have ever gotten a red eye when using one of these on my flash, but I have when using direct flash without the diffuser, it happened recently, though of course I was able to edit images after the fact

May 04, 2013 at 08:29 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Does flash diffuser prevent red-eye?

There are various kinds of diffusers. Do they all have about the same effect?

May 05, 2013 at 02:23 AM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Does flash diffuser prevent red-eye?

Putting a diffuser on your on-camera flash does not change the angle of reflection off the retina, which is the cause of red-eye. Red eye is caused by having the flash close to on-axis with the lens, which means the light reflects off the retina and straight back into the lens. It's sort of like what happens when you point your flashlight at a reflective street sign and the sign seems to reflect blinding amounts of light back at you. If your friend fifty feet away shines a light on the street sign, it doesn't produce the same highly reflective effect from your perspective.

In addition, the wider open the subjects pupils are, and the more powerful the flash is (especially compared to ambient), the more you see red-eye.

The diffuser helps a tiny bit by distributing more light out to other surrounding surfaces from which it bounces back down to the subject. This has a similar effect to increasing ambient light very slightly. But the primary light source on the subject is still usually the strobe, diffused or not,

If you want to eliminate red eye, get the primary light source away from the lens axis. This means bouncing or using off-camera flash, or at least using a flash bracket (cue '70s music).

May 05, 2013 at 08:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Does flash diffuser prevent red-eye?

Ian Ivey wrote:
The diffuser helps a tiny bit by distributing more light out to other surrounding surfaces from which it bounces back down to the subject. This has a similar effect to increasing ambient light very slightly. But the primary light source on the subject is still usually the strobe, diffused or not

This, the stofen does not change the size or placement of the source it just sends light in all directions that then bounces off walls/wherever and fills the shadows very slightly. I facepalm when I see people use these outside for fill.

Bounce, use it off camera, or bleed in more ambient and your problems will solved instead of buying more tupperware.

May 05, 2013 at 08:09 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Does flash diffuser prevent red-eye?

It has more to do with how close the angle of light is to the angle of the lens to the subject. Bouncing the light off a wall behind you (if that's an option), or using OCF is a much more effective kill for red-eye...

May 05, 2013 at 09:47 PM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Does flash diffuser prevent red-eye?

Bounce or pre-flash for red-eye reduction...

May 06, 2013 at 02:25 PM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Does flash diffuser prevent red-eye?

Dirk, stop it.

May 06, 2013 at 03:26 PM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Does flash diffuser prevent red-eye?

D.Dig. That's the Fong Dong Beta v 1.0

May 08, 2013 at 01:55 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Does flash diffuser prevent red-eye?

Tom Dix wrote:
D.Dig. That's the Fong Dong Beta v 1.0

May 08, 2013 at 02:05 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Does flash diffuser prevent red-eye?

scottam10 wrote:
I don't think it will make much difference - as TTLKurtis says, it's more about how close the flash is to the lens

Just wanted to give a follow-up here.

A month back I snapped a bunch of shots at the reception with the flash aimed direct on [i.e. no bounce] and covered with a Stofen-like diffuser (like the one shown in my initial post in this thread). Just got a chance to peek at some of the photos in question and ....................

Yes, there was red-eye. Perhaps there was less red-eye than there would have been without the diffuser attached. Or perhaps not. Either way, there was plenty of red-eye to be found. I only looked at about twenty of the shots and red-eye seemed to affect most of them. In no way can you say this type of diffuser eliminates red-eye.

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:43 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password