Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Settings for self-portrait with 5D3

Vox Sciurorum
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Settings for self-portrait with 5D3

I want to take a self-portrait with my 5D3. The manual (page 115) says I need to manually focus when using the timer. I say I lack the combination of patience and skill to focus right and hit my mark. There might be nothing at the same distance I want to be at. The depth of field might be too small.

I figured live view, face detect, and 10 second delay might work. I tried each of the three focus modes.

If I use normal live view focus with the timer it will focus on something random, or nothing.

If I use face detect the timer will refuse to start until it detects a face. Completely useless.

If I use quick mode it sometimes works, but that is apparently dependent on what happens to be in the way of the autofocus point.

What settings do I want to use? Do I need a wireless remote shutter release combined with live view, face detect, and delay? (I know I have some sort of remote, bought with the camera and set aside somewhere I'll never find it again. It may not be wireless.)

I also welcome tips for the same problem with the Sony RX100. In timer mode it wants to focus before I move into position.

May 03, 2013 at 10:44 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password