Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Hoya Pro 1 ND

hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hoya Pro 1 ND

Hey ya'll. I need an ND filter for my Zeiss 50/2 & Sigma 35 1.4 for waterfall shots. I have the Big Stopper & Lee FK but I want to use a screw on filter in order to be able to use my CPL. Also, the BS isn't practical for waterfalls due to the huge amount of light it blocks.

Instead I am looking for a less behemoth ND 32x/64x (5-6 stops) etc... I found the Hoya PRO1 ND32x/64x on Ebay for a very reasonable price and I was wondering if anyone has experience with them. Does it allow another filter stacked? Color cast? IQ?

Thanks
Hussain

May 03, 2013 at 07:51 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hoya Pro 1 ND

maybe consider a variable (I use/like the Tiffen HD) ND? By the time your done w/ a 5-6 stop ND *AND* a PL, you're going to be at 7-8 stops of reduction and you also need to figure in the speed of the water and the 'look' you're going after.

May 04, 2013 at 10:50 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hoya Pro 1 ND

I have this one in several sizes.

EBH

May 04, 2013 at 11:46 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hoya Pro 1 ND

howardm4 wrote:
maybe consider a variable (I use/like the Tiffen HD) ND? By the time your done w/ a 5-6 stop ND *AND* a PL, you're going to be at 7-8 stops of reduction and you also need to figure in the speed of the water and the 'look' you're going after.

I also use this one along with the BS

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/813278-REG/Tiffen_77VND_77mm_Variable_Neutral_Density.html

May 04, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

B Landau
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hoya Pro 1 ND

The B+W has a magenta cast that is difficult to correct in post processing. I prefer to deal with the blue-green cast that the Hoya Pro 1 ND filters produce.

May 06, 2013 at 03:03 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hoya Pro 1 ND

Thanks for the advice guys...

"I have this one in several sizes.

EBH "

This is the closest to what I want but it's quite expensive especially that I now need the 82mm version. I will buy one for the Zeiss 21 and use a step up ring. So it seems at $95 the Hoya Pro1 ND64 as a good deal

Another question, what do you guys reckon causes this weird halo and noise? I can see some hot pixels but is this a normal output?!

It was shot at ISO 200, f/8, 76 seconds with a Nikon D600, Zeiss 21 2.8, Singh Ray 1.2 GND & Big Stopper.

May 07, 2013 at 05:31 AM
B Landau
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hoya Pro 1 ND

The color cast that NDs produce will vary with the lighting conditions. In sunlight the B+W filters produce more of a warm cast and definitely shift the original colors compared to no filter at all. Under overcast conditions the B+W filter has a more of a magenta cast. I find that the Hoya Pro 1 ND filters are more faithful to the original colors in the scene. With either filter you will probably make white balance adjustments in post procesing - so in the end it may not matter, but I find myself making fewer adjustments when dealing with the Hoya Pro 1 ND filters.

I have no idea why you would be getting a halo in your image.

May 11, 2013 at 04:20 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password