Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Is it safe to go back in the Nikon D800 water...

wizb2013

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is it safe to go back in the Nikon D800 water...

I have been holding back buying the Nikon D800 (new)
after reading all the focusing issues. So has the issues been
addressed in the latest units from the factory? Anyone who
bought a D800 recently care to comment or provide some
data points? Thanks.

PS: I hate the idea of buying a new $2.8K camera and finding out
I have to either return it (eating return shipping cost) or dealing
with Nikon repair services (which could be hit or miss...)

May 03, 2013 at 07:03 PM
thedruid
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is it safe to go back in the Nikon D800 water...

Buy a gently used D600 with more than 3500 clicks save a bundle in the process

May 03, 2013 at 07:33 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is it safe to go back in the Nikon D800 water...

A few things are certain:

1) Your workflow will take 3x longer w/ 36mp files;
2) You will need to 3x more HDD and memory cards;
3) You'll need to double your shutter speed to avoid blur.

Needless to say, as much I'd like a D600 sensor in a D800 body, I love my two D700 more each day!

May 03, 2013 at 07:40 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is it safe to go back in the Nikon D800 water...

Wait... weren't there some other posts here?

May 03, 2013 at 08:09 PM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is it safe to go back in the Nikon D800 water...

D800 is awesome, you've got the 36mp if you want it, or just shoot jpeg or downsize the files if you don't. I think I'd miss the extra controls and build if I had the D600.

How much was a 36mp camera a year ago?

May 03, 2013 at 08:27 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is it safe to go back in the Nikon D800 water...

While people did have some issues with early models, the issues had the internet megaphone effect. It's safe to buy one now.

May 03, 2013 at 08:28 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is it safe to go back in the Nikon D800 water...

wizb2013 wrote:
I have been holding back buying the Nikon D800 (new)
after reading all the focusing issues. So has the issues been
addressed in the latest units from the factory? Anyone who
bought a D800 recently care to comment or provide some
data points? Thanks.

PS: I hate the idea of buying a new $2.8K camera and finding out
I have to either return it (eating return shipping cost) or dealing
with Nikon repair services (which could be hit or miss...)

It was never unsafe to go into the Nikon D800 waters... If you have been waiting to buy it, you have been missing out on a years worth of pleasure. I bought one of the very first D800's, I got it on the day it was released, and I have not had a single issue with it...

Issues with it were greatly blown out of proportion, and any issues with it were easily fixable...

Jim

May 03, 2013 at 08:32 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is it safe to go back in the Nikon D800 water...

^ Ich auch

May 03, 2013 at 08:53 PM
JulianDeLaRosa
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is it safe to go back in the Nikon D800 water...

JimFox wrote:
It was never unsafe to go into the Nikon D800 waters... If you have been waiting to buy it, you have been missing out on a years worth of pleasure. I bought one of the very first D800's, I got it on the day it was released, and I have not had a single issue with it...

Issues with it were greatly blown out of proportion, and any issues with it were easily fixable...

Jim

This. Loving the D800 and D800E.

May 03, 2013 at 11:06 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is it safe to go back in the Nikon D800 water...

JimFox wrote:

Jim

Proof that ignorance is bliss...?

You might have had a slightly different opinion if your camera had been one of the defective ones - as two of the three I've purchased have been.

May 04, 2013 at 06:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

roger1
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Is it safe to go back in the Nikon D800 water...

Not proof of ignorance...just that bad luck comes in threes..

May 04, 2013 at 06:51 PM
frustrated

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Is it safe to go back in the Nikon D800 water...

I was 0 for 2 on D800's. Both of mine had problems. Normally I love to buy used, but the D800 is an exception.

I hate it when people act like there is a rare problem with these cameras. It was obviously wide spread. I'd even say a lot of people have the problem and aren't aware of it. If you get one, be sure to check your focus accuracy at different distances. Mine seemed fine up close but got worse as distance increased. 10 feet was terrible (on the left side).

May 04, 2013 at 08:46 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Is it safe to go back in the Nikon D800 water...

Given that you're new to Nikon and probably don't have any other Nikon gear, my normal answer to a question like this doesn't apply.

First of all, there is always a possibility of buying a new camera that has issues, from any maker.

I would suggest that if you are at ease with using a competitor's DSLR, you shouldn't have any issue making the effort to see if a d800 has any of the issues that concern you. Buy a new camera from a reputable dealer. Test it for all of the known issues. If you find that the camera is defective, return it.

good luck
Kerry

May 04, 2013 at 10:27 PM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Is it safe to go back in the Nikon D800 water...

My D800E is the best thing that ever happened to me. No problems.
And workflow takes no more time (it takes maybe 5 seconds more to import, but the rest is unnoticable). Yes the files are 45mb, but hdd's are cheap, very cheap.
You only hear some of the 1% of owners of a D800 and have a problem, but there are thousands that don't have any problem.
Many Italians said that the fiat 500 was a bad car with a lot of failiures, because their friend had these issues. In case you didn't know, 99.9% of Italy drove a Fiat 500 in 1980. That are millions of cars, but when 100 cars had issues, it suddenly became a bad car.
I know that all 5 photographers I personally know that have a D800(e) or even a bunch, don't have any issues. And thats what counts to me. Not a few gus from the internet that have these issues, some don't even have that camera! It has always been like that and will always be like that. Problems get blown up.

May 04, 2013 at 10:38 PM
bemyzeke
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Is it safe to go back in the Nikon D800 water...

As far as I know the issues have not been completely fixed, but most of the cameras work most of the time. If your use scenarios includes shooting 24mm f/1.4 lens, wide open, and using extreme left point sensor you should be concerned.

However if your usage is more main stream, there is no need to worry most of the time. One thing I would say is this. Based on Nikon's success rate in fixing the issue, I would much rather send a camera back then send it for AF fix.

FYI, Amazon and I believe, Adorama/B&H and some other camera store will provide you with a return shipping label if the item is defective.

May 04, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Tim Ashton
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Is it safe to go back in the Nikon D800 water...

Hey Cliff,

what would you do with your spare time if Nikon were 100% perfect??

Tim

May 05, 2013 at 01:32 AM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Is it safe to go back in the Nikon D800 water...

JimFox wrote:

Jim

+1 what Jim said. I ordered on day one too and am enjoying it.

May 05, 2013 at 03:20 AM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Is it safe to go back in the Nikon D800 water...

FWIW my D800 was perfect right out of the box .... if it has focus issues, I can't see it. If it has other issues .... I don't see it. It works perfectly. And my D800 was at least the second run of camera's after the initial launch.... so you are probably perfectly safe to get one at this point.

May 05, 2013 at 03:34 AM
krickett
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Is it safe to go back in the Nikon D800 water...

My D800 might have a "Left-most AF Inaccuracy with Wide-Aperture Wide-Angle Lens" issue... It might. It would still be the best camera I've used by several light-years.

May 05, 2013 at 06:41 AM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Is it safe to go back in the Nikon D800 water...

I wouldn't worry to buy a D800 these days. Especially if you buy it new from an established retailer.

My D800 had a focus issue but Nikon fixed it and it works perfect. No doubt It is a great camera.

Grant

May 05, 2013 at 12:44 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password