FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Getting the most out of your photographer

ai3x
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Getting the most out of your photographer

Just finished writing up a little guide for my new couples on how to get the most out of me as a photographer and some tips on planning their weddings.

It's still a work in progress (typography needs some major tweaking) but I'd love any feedback people might have/things I've forgotten.

http://db.alexbeckett.co.uk/Welcome.pdf

Cheers,
Alex

May 03, 2013 at 12:01 PM
Njphotostudio
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Getting the most out of your photographer

Nice work!

May 03, 2013 at 12:28 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Getting the most out of your photographer

Lots of terrific thoughts in your work which go a long way towards demonstrating your value. I like:
-How you demonstrate w/ the VW Bug & sparklers how killer images don't "just happen";
-How you also word how the best light changes quickly to be lost til 12 hours later.
-How you do quite a bit to avoid being shoved into a janitor's closet w/ 3 minutes to eat a hamburger & cold french fries.

However, you asked for suggestions for improvement, so here it goes:
"Some vicars can be very anti-photography and have the strangest of rules".
To me, as a person of faith (I can feel the HATE coming my way from the "tolerant" crowd even as I write this), this doesn't come across very well.
IMHO, a better way of wording it might be something like, "We wish to abide by the rules of your house of worship while still giving you great images of your ceremony. Please let us know any rules or restrictions we need to abide by."

May 03, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Getting the most out of your photographer

I think this is a great idea and very nicely done.

As for the vicars - I think you have worded it just right for the English ear. The Americans are different in this regard and the suggestion above sounds odd to me (UK). Most Brits don't "worship".

May 03, 2013 at 02:12 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Getting the most out of your photographer

Nikon_14 wrote:
"Some vicars can be very anti-photography and have the strangest of rules".

as a person of faith ... this doesn't come across very well

Even to a person who's not of faith, the way he put that doesn't sound good. Comes across irreverent and disrespectful of the solemnity of the ritual.

May 03, 2013 at 04:00 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Getting the most out of your photographer

Still LOVE the car/sparklers shot!

May 03, 2013 at 04:12 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Getting the most out of your photographer

awesome job, mate...we are in the process of doing one of these ourselves, so I might glean some of your ideas that I had not thought of.

May 03, 2013 at 04:16 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Getting the most out of your photographer

Question...is this something you are printing or sending digitally?

May 03, 2013 at 04:29 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Getting the most out of your photographer

very nicely done!

one thing I found should have read "tickling" the ivories (I do believe)

May 03, 2013 at 04:39 PM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Getting the most out of your photographer

Wow really interesting to see the differences between US and UK interpretations of things. Nikon_14 and Digger, no offence intended, I'm pretty sure nobody in the UK would read that in an offensive way. I think we're a lot more laid back about faith then over your side of the pond. That said though I do get a lot of US couples and as such I'm going to reword it anyway.

Alex

May 03, 2013 at 07:09 PM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Getting the most out of your photographer

sherijohnson wrote:
very nicely done!

one thing I found should have read "tickling" the ivories (I do believe)

Think that's another UK/US thing. Pretty sure it's tinkling over here!

May 03, 2013 at 07:10 PM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Getting the most out of your photographer

joelconner wrote:
Question...is this something you are printing or sending digitally?

Digitally to start with, very tempted to get some printed though and make a nice welcome pack. I seem to remember candice does some really lovely welcome packs!

May 03, 2013 at 07:11 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Getting the most out of your photographer

ai3x wrote:
Digitally to start with, very tempted to get some printed though and make a nice welcome pack. I seem to remember candice does some really lovely welcome packs!

Digital is so easy....but I think I want to go with printed as well. Part of it is that I want to train people to expect physical things and not just digital...hoping that might translate into more print/product sales

May 03, 2013 at 09:10 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Getting the most out of your photographer

ai3x wrote:
Wow really interesting to see the differences between US and UK interpretations of things. Nikon_14 and Digger, no offence intended, I'm pretty sure nobody in the UK would read that in an offensive way. I think we're a lot more laid back about faith then over your side of the pond. That said though I do get a lot of US couples and as such I'm going to reword it anyway.

Alex

Alex,

I knew you weren't trying to be offensive. I was just trying to give some constructive criticism; my humble opinion is that if a couple's faith here matters to them, that they might misinterpret the wording as being mildly disrespectful. Nothing near the degree of disrespect that some venues here (and, apparently, on your side of the pond, there as well) have for our vocation in the way they serve us "whenever they get around to it", which you do a VERY good job of explaining why that's not in the couple's best interest.

Again, a great write-up that clearly communicates your value. I'm surprised that noone else has done something like what you have, at least not as well.

May 03, 2013 at 09:25 PM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Getting the most out of your photographer

Nikon_14 wrote:
Alex,

I knew you weren't trying to be offensive. I was just trying to give some constructive criticism; my humble opinion is that if a couple's faith here matters to them, that they might misinterpret the wording as being mildly disrespectful. Nothing near the degree of disrespect that some venues here (and, apparently, on your side of the pond, there as well) have for our vocation in the way they serve us "whenever they get around to it", which you do a VERY good job of explaining why that's not in the couple's best interest.

Again, a great write-up that clearly communicates
...Show more

Thanks for your help, just updated it, let me know what you think!

Yeah food is a major bugbare of mine. The 3 main things I wanted to get across in this were to treat me with respect (meals, treating me like a friend etc), trust me (with what I ask you to do, being there when you put the dress on etc) and to give me time when I ask for it. If I get all those three then the chances are it's going to be a good wedding.

Alex

May 03, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Getting the most out of your photographer

ai3x wrote:

Alex

Hmm as a Brit I would have toned it down very slightly just in case I had a very religious couple and gone for something that said that rules can vary venue to venue. I am sure 95% of people would be fine with it as it was though.

As a general comment, I found the layout a bit overpowering if this will be a pdf - if there was a way to make the information stand out and a cleaner simpler layout more people might read it all. The pictures and info itself are all very good however!

May 04, 2013 at 05:48 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Getting the most out of your photographer

ai3x wrote:
Thanks for your help, just updated it, let me know what you think!

Yeah food is a major bugbare of mine. The 3 main things I wanted to get across in this were to treat me with respect (meals, treating me like a friend etc), trust me (with what I ask you to do, being there when you put the dress on etc) and to give me time when I ask for it. If I get all those three then the chances are it's going to be a good wedding.

Alex

Now it's just as well-written as the rest. Knocked it outta the park! (Eh, that might not translate- so replace it w/ a rugby phrase for "really terrific!")

May 04, 2013 at 07:15 AM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Getting the most out of your photographer

I'll settle for a Jolly good show...

May 04, 2013 at 10:40 AM
nick53097
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Getting the most out of your photographer

Great!
Thank you for sharing

May 06, 2013 at 02:23 PM
Mr Pixcel
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Getting the most out of your photographer

Great Job.

May 06, 2013 at 03:23 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.