New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Opinions wanted

itchhhh

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Opinions wanted

Please take a peek at the photo and let me know what you think?

A little about the shot.

It was taken at the Union Station in Chicago. I wonder how many times this scene has been repeated over the years? A young boy running to-and-fro with not a care in the World while Dad (left) looks on and a young couple (right) sits back, smiles, and thinks of days to come. There is so much history within this Grand Hall that if these walls could talk I’m sure they would tell of interesting times and of many interesting people.

Regarding the technical aspects of the shot, I like the semi-blown out area and its contrast to the dark area where the young couple is sitting. In Black and White it seems to work.

Although this is not technically the best shot I've taken, it certainly is one that I've connected with and have given consideration to printing and hanging on the wall. I'm thinking about getting a 16 x24 Fiber Based Silver Gelatin Prints Using Ilfobrom Galerie Fiber at Digital Silver Imaging which is expensive.

What are your opinions? I may be standing too close to the trees to see the forest? Does the semi-blown out area work even though at 100% it's not really blown out. Would you clone out the wires (6 or them) over head that span the width of the room?

I would appreciate your thoughts and opinions. thanks!

Richard M Cleis by itchhhh, on Flickr

Camera Nikon D90
Exposure 0.01 sec (1/100)
Aperture f/8.0
Focal Length 15 mm

May 03, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Opinions wanted

I like the image but difficult to fully appreciate (large) on a monitor, imo. The crisp detail is great. I'd need a tripod to get that.

Again, POC monitor but perhaps a touch darker in very bright - floor area between benches and left wall- maybe my eyes but I must really squint to find texture/detail.

Looking again, maybe consider a crop from the top so the roof (wall) line intersects the URHC, and remove the wires (which I did not notice until I re-read your questions). Too the bright reflection mid-span in arch at rear.

Regards,

Bob

May 03, 2013 at 12:42 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Opinions wanted

It's a really cool shot, I like it a lot. I do think you should blow it up. I like the composition exactly as it is, I wouldn't change a thing. Your attention does right to the boy, then works its way around the room. The ceiling is fantastic. Wires don't bother me. what was your ISO on this shot?

This shot is kind of a challenge, as I like the boy kind of frozen in stride waking to his father -- but I want this shot at f/18 to f/22 to make it as sharp as possible, but that means a tripod and a slower shutter speed. So I think you did a nice compromise at f/8, and it should look great at 16x24.

Great job!

May 03, 2013 at 01:28 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Opinions wanted

I am not usually a fan of B&W but I like this one. I would be tempted to clone out all the people except for the kid.

May 03, 2013 at 01:34 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Opinions wanted

Perhaps some skew adjustments, too?

May 03, 2013 at 07:15 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Opinions wanted

AuntiPode wrote:
Perhaps some skew adjustments, too?

And judicious burn/dodge I think there are details to recover. Now how it will print? Don't know.

If you shot a NEF, you stand a good chance of getting most of the detail back I should think.

Hope you don't mind the re-work

Bob

May 03, 2013 at 08:11 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Opinions wanted

Bob Jarman wrote:
If you shot a NEF, you stand a good chance of getting most of the detail back I should think.

Even from the jpg posted here there is recoverable detail (grossly revealed just to illustrate its presence) if you are inclined to recover it. My biggest issue with the blown area is that it commands attention away from other areas ... not so much the loss of detail, but the distraction it creates, unless you are wanting to draw your viewer to those areas.

May 03, 2013 at 09:00 PM
itchhhh

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Opinions wanted

Thanks for EVEYBODIES feedback, I appreciate it. Since I did shoot this frame in RAW I can certainly dial back on the semi blown out area. I think being a little bright fits this image and offsets the lower right hand corner which is a little dark. It's almost like a highlighted square on the floor which mirrors the ceiling. To Bobs point I want to be judicious in that effort though.

What do you folks think about the wires? Leave them or remove them??

Again thanks for taking time to share your thoughts.

May 03, 2013 at 09:41 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Opinions wanted

Wires? See my suggestion.

May 04, 2013 at 02:08 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Opinions wanted

I think its a great shot, technical shortcomings aside.
And the technical issues have been addressed in the various reworks. Needs the skew adjustment, some recovery of the bright floor areas left. I am ambivalent re the wires.
BW is clearly the right choice here.
Seems like an excellent choice to print relatively large, continuing to play with the small figure/sense of scale. And an image like this can take quite a bit of edge sharpening, if needed in a large size.
Not familiar with the paper you are considering, cant help with that. I can imagine it looking good on metallic paper, printed/bonded on aluminum as a metal print, other reflective material.
Scott

May 04, 2013 at 05:38 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Opinions wanted

+1 @ much of Scott, although I'd be cautious about certain metallic papers as they can have a cast in the lighter areas that may not allow for the neutrality (i.e. test print) or mood that I think this image calls for.

As to the bright area having reference to the ceiling ... I get that. I'd just look to utilize the space between the clock and the boy as being my "bright area" more so than the area on the left. In that way, we are drawn through the boy, to the clock, columns, balcony, roof a bit more instead of being "yanked" quite as hard over to the left edge of the frame ... if that makes any sense.

imo, it requires a judicious balancing act that will require some thought and reflection, i.e. give it some time to resonate as you work through it. You've got a timeless piece here, be sure to give it sufficient time to marinate in your head. It just depends on where you want to draw your viewer's eye as to how much tonal presence you give to the differing areas ... it's all fair game relative to your vision for the image.

May 04, 2013 at 07:50 AM
cgilleo

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Opinions wanted

I love the first image. The lines and the tones are great, but the lone child takes the image to another level. Great work.

Apr 16, 2014 at 07:44 PM
Troyryan

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Opinions wanted

Def tells an interesting story

Apr 23, 2014 at 10:03 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.