New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · My Frankenstein Panasonic Lumix GX1

pr4photos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My Frankenstein Panasonic Lumix GX1

I have successfully created a Frankenstein Lumix GX1 !!!

My Lumix, which I use for travel photography and also as a backup should my Nikon fail on me (not happened yet) had one drawback for me. The basic camera uses the back screen as the viewfinder. Adding the optional EVF allows you to view through a viewfinder which is an absolute must for outdoor photography. But, the EVF slots onto the hotshoe meaning you cannot use an external flash anymore. The internal flash is too weak for anything serious.

So, I bought a hotshoe adapter and after stripping the wires back have wired it carefully to the camera hotshoe and fitted it next to the EVF. I know have the ability to fit a flash, but more than likely it will be used to hold a flash trigger so that I can trigger flashes remotely - flashes on a lightstand etc

This is going to dramatically increase the versatility of the camera.

http://www.pr4photos.co.uk/PMR_1389.jpg

May 03, 2013 at 10:39 AM
snegron
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My Frankenstein Panasonic Lumix GX1

Very interesting look! My guess is that you might have some trouble placing an actual flash on the hotshoe because of its proximity to the viewfinder. It kind of reminds me of the hotshoe adapter that used to be used on the old Nikon F, F2 and F3 bodies!

May 03, 2013 at 06:28 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My Frankenstein Panasonic Lumix GX1

I like "Frankensonic".

P.S. you could move the flash shoe to the bottom of the body, like on my Ricoh 35 SP.

May 03, 2013 at 07:42 PM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My Frankenstein Panasonic Lumix GX1

Its highly unlikely I will ever place a flashgun on that hotshoe. Its going to be a trigger that sits there for remote flashes, and if I do want a flash 'on camera' I will fit a bracket to have the flashgun on and still trigger it with a remote - as I don't have a dedicated Panny flashgun.

snegron, definitely agree. I have a couple of those adapters for my F3 and there is a striking similarity

May 04, 2013 at 03:18 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.