Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 5D III and 580EX II speedlight

k clayton
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D III and 580EX II speedlight

I also posted in the lighting section but maybe one of you can share your C.Fn settings for your speedlight. Mine is just not throwing much light and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I usually use a Fong difuser or bounce and on the 5D III (with the 24-70) but with the 5D3 and speedlight angled directly at the subject I am just not getting the light.
Thank you

May 03, 2013 at 12:36 PM
JimboCin
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D III and 580EX II speedlight

k: It might be easier if you share your settings and then we can tell you if any of them have an impact.

Also - how (by what means) do you know that you are "not getting the light?"

Thanks!

Jim

Edited on May 03, 2013 at 12:53 PM · View previous versions

May 03, 2013 at 12:42 PM
k clayton
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D III and 580EX II speedlight

Jim-
My in camera settings are E-TTL II meter:Eval, Flash sync speed in AV mode:auto I just changed the Flash Function Setting to Ext.M and that seemed to help.
C.Fn settings are all default except Flash Metering Mode I changed to Manual from E-TTL II which did seem to help. BUT I don't know if that makes sense.
The only way I know "I don't seem to be getting enough light" is the photo seems quite underexposed even with the flash angled directly at the subject ( which I am close to)
I shot with the 7D b4 I got the 5D III and always used bounce or defusers and got plenty of light. I am not getting that result with the new set up.
Thank you for your help!

May 03, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Mike Sowsun
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D III and 580EX II speedlight

First off, don't use Av mode when using flash unless you really know what you are doing and have a good reason for using it. Use Manual mode and set the shutter speed to something like 1/125 or 1/160 and the aperture to something like f/5.6 or f/8 with ISO set something like ISO400 or ISO800.

I suspect you have the flash exposure compensation set to - value either in the camera or in the flash or maybe both. Because it can be set in two different places, one tends to over ride the other.(camera over rides flash I think) Check that both ares set to "0". Then decide which one you want to use and set only that one to +1 Flash exposure compensation. That should solve your problem,.

Don't use Ext. M. (External Manual). Your flash was designed to be used in ETTL(that is why you paid the big bucks for it), or maybe maybe Full Manual mode in certain situations.

Ext. M. is not "Through The lens" and it is not even Manual. It is external Auto Mode, and not as accurate as ETTL. Ext. M. uses the external light sensor on the exterior of the flash to meter the light output just like the old film era Thyristor flashes for the 80's. With Ext M. you must input the ISO and aperture while Ext Auto will do this for you automatically. It can be useful in some situations where ETTL might get fooled, but that even that is up for debate.

You can read more on External Metering here: http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/speedlite580exii_article.shtml

Edited on May 03, 2013 at 01:37 PM · View previous versions

May 03, 2013 at 01:15 PM
JimboCin
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D III and 580EX II speedlight

I have a 7D and a 5D Mk III and don't see the problem you see. My flash is a 580EX, not the Mk II - so there is a little difference there.

In my 5D Mk III I have "Flash function settings" at ETTL, First-curtain sync, Flash exposure compensation set to zero, and Flash exposure bracketing set to zero. Check these other settings.

The flash settings look pretty normal.

Looks to me that by the setting changes you made you put the flash in full manual. So you should have complete manual control over the flash power. If it is not enough - just up the power.

As a test, just flash a picture with the flash in manual and at full power (1/1). This should result in a blown-out image, showing that your flash has sufficient power.

If the images are too dark try using a plus Flash exposure compensation.

To state the obvious, make sure you are using fresh good-quality batteries in the 580.

Jim

PS: A really great book on Canon Speedlites is "Speedliter's Handbook - Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites" by Syl. Arena.

May 03, 2013 at 01:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mike Sowsun
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D III and 580EX II speedlight

JimboCin wrote:
Looks to me that by the setting changes you made you put the flash in full manual. So you should have complete manual control over the flash power. If it is not enough - just up the power.

The OP went into the Custom function menu and blindly set the flash to External Manual without knowing what it was or what it did.

The 580EX II is the first Canon flash(in a very long time) to have External Auto or External Manual mode. Both are actually Automatic modes as I said in the post above, and WILL be effected by whatever the Exposure Compensation is set to.

May 03, 2013 at 01:31 PM
k clayton
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D III and 580EX II speedlight

Jim and Mike thanks so much for your help. Mike I changed my settings to what you suggested. EC is at 0 although I may increase it. Batteries are new and charged. Will play more when I get home!

May 03, 2013 at 01:45 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D III and 580EX II speedlight

Canon Speedlites are just about the hardest thing to use properly in the whole system, a lot of users get caught out because they don't work well when just left on auto, they need user input and some knowledge, then they are just excellent

The advice to use M mode on the camera is so right, just select your SS, AP and ISO and use the FEC to control the flash brightness

The other thing they are really good at is fill-in, just set your ISO, use Av mode and select your aperture, then dial in as much or as litle flash as you need with the FEC, works perfectly.

Remember, there is no connection at all between exposure compensation and flash exposure compensation

May 03, 2013 at 02:10 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D III and 580EX II speedlight

I'm not sure if this will show the real exif, since in on my phone but this was a 5d3 and 580exii on camera.

Mine work well together.

May 03, 2013 at 04:58 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password