Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Canon FD 300mm F4 L problem?

hrossm

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon FD 300mm F4 L problem?

I have just got one of these via fleabay and am waiting for my adapter (to NEX) to arrive. I don't know if the lens has an issue though - when I move the aperture setting ring the blades don't move (unlike my Contax lenses).
The FD mount seems quite complicated - does it need to be mounted on a camera or adapter before the blades will move ?
Thanks in advance for replies,
Ross

May 03, 2013 at 04:05 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon FD 300mm F4 L problem?

That's the way the FD mount works. The blades stay closed until mounted on a camera (or adapter). My first FD lens also freaked me out. The FD300/4L is a new FD mount, so it will mount very similarly to a standard bayonet mount lens (just line up the dots and twist on). The original FD mount doesn't mount like a bayonet, but rather like its breech mount would normally be operated....you interlock the breech then tighten the ring around the connected parts. The nFD basically takes that breech mount locking mechanism and makes it (for the operator) like a bayonet mount.

May 03, 2013 at 08:18 AM
acme_d

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon FD 300mm F4 L problem?

Jman13 wrote:
That's the way the FD mount works. The blades stay closed until mounted on a camera (or adapter).

Also worth noting that the iris can stick if oil has migrated to the blades. Mine had this problem and a moderately difficult CLA was necessary to fix it.

/Acme

May 04, 2013 at 05:11 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.