Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · insurance problem

robby521
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · insurance problem

i have state farm.i dropped my sigma 70-200 f2.8 on some rocks and picked up what i could for the insurance.i have been with them for 10 months and was told it was not worth filing a claim,have a 500 deductible.woman that works there and good friends with told me that if i did they would end up dropping me because i have not been with them a year.i do lots of sports and outdoors and just dont know what to do.

May 03, 2013 at 02:04 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · insurance problem

Is this a personal articles policy or an addendum to your homeowner's insurance? Hopefully it's personal articles.

brad

May 03, 2013 at 01:54 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · insurance problem

Join Professional photographers of America www.ppa.com . For 300+ a year your gear is insured for free if you opt in to the insurance coverage they offer.

May 03, 2013 at 02:01 PM
robby521
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · insurance problem

its a business policy not with my homeowners.

May 03, 2013 at 02:03 PM
colinm
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · insurance problem

Bruce Sawle wrote:
Join Professional photographers of America www.ppa.com . For 300+ a year your gear is insured for free if you opt in to the insurance coverage they offer.

Your gear is "insured" for free by the basic PPA coverage. If you want worthwhile/standard insurance, you still have to pay for the upgrade to full coverage.

Read the policy terms, not PPA's marketing!

May 03, 2013 at 06:36 PM
Z_man
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · insurance problem

File the claim. Do you have replacement cost insurance? If SF says it is within the $500 deductible, make SF justify it because you get actual replacement cost. Then move to a different insurer as others have suggested.

May 04, 2013 at 03:37 AM
pipspeak
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · insurance problem

Surely whatever happens you'll be out of pocket if you file a claim, up to $500 (the deductible). So then it comes down to simple math based on the cost of repair vs a new lens minus the deductible.

May 07, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · insurance problem

File a claim, let them drop you, switch insurance companies. Last time I checked, insurance is there for a reason and lenses don't say "hey! wait a year before you break me!"

May 15, 2013 at 01:30 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · insurance problem

Bruce Sawle wrote:

Dont be so quick to believe that. I know many people that have this as their only insurance and went to file a claim and ran in to issues.

May 15, 2013 at 02:03 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · insurance problem

BenV wrote:
File a claim, let them drop you, switch insurance companies. Last time I checked, insurance is there for a reason and lenses don't say "hey! wait a year before you break me!"

If you file to many claims or switch too many times you will be labeling un-insurable and will never get insurance again.

May 15, 2013 at 02:04 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · insurance problem

Did PPA change? When I was a member you had the option to buy Hartford insurance, not free insurance with a membership. I had to make a claim with PPA's Hartford and it was fantastic. I've since changed to APA and also have Hartford, but all insurance rates have gone up. The deductible went from $100 to $500.

May 15, 2013 at 04:04 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · insurance problem

The purpose of insurance is to cover catastrophes--"business extinction events." Insurance companies base policies on the odds of a business suffering not more than a couple of extinction events in a lifetime. When you file a claim, it adversely affects the statistics against you...lightning always strikes the same place twice.

That's why it's best not to file a claim for anything that you can cover out of your bank account. Save it for a true business extinction event.

May 16, 2013 at 02:08 AM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · insurance problem

cineski wrote:
Did PPA change? When I was a member you had the option to buy Hartford insurance, not free insurance with a membership. I had to make a claim with PPA's Hartford and it was fantastic. I've since changed to APA and also have Hartford, but all insurance rates have gone up. The deductible went from $100 to $500.

You can buy whatever you want. The insurance included with PPA membership is not something I would rely on as my primary equipment insurance, but it serves as a supplementary policy (it's not automatic--you have to be sure to register for it on the PPA website). You can make it a better policy by paying for better coverage through the same company.

But I find it better for myself to deal with an agent who can bundle all my business insurance needs, and someone local who can print me out a venue indemnity certificate whenever I need it.

May 16, 2013 at 02:12 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password