Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 5dmk3 only using center point af, am I wasting this camera?

bayvillian
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5dmk3 only using center point af, am I wasting this camera?

I came from a 5dmk2 and all I used was the center, I've had the 5dmk3 for about 6 months now and have only used the center focus on that as well. I do all types of photography from newborns and family shoots, to larger events. I've never really had a problem, I simply focus and recompose. Am I missing out by not using other modes of focus? Or should I just stick with what I know?

This saturday I have 3 back to back jobs, 2 newborns and 1 family outing. Then this upcoming week I'll be at a workshop with Cliff Mautner. So I dont know if I will have enough time to learn, but when I get back I would like to certainly check out other modes.

Looking forward to the responses
Thanks all

May 02, 2013 at 07:15 PM
svassh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5dmk3 only using center point af, am I wasting this camera?

I did the same thing, tough habit to break. But once you do, it really allows you a lot of freedom.

May 02, 2013 at 07:29 PM
Rickuz
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5dmk3 only using center point af, am I wasting this camera?

When I'm shooting static subjects at longer ranges, I usually just stick with the center point (or whatever point that is selected) and recompose. But for everything else, I use all the cross type points.

May 02, 2013 at 07:38 PM
robbymack
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5dmk3 only using center point af, am I wasting this camera?

It's a preference thing. Some like to move it around others. Like the old focus recompose. Obviously with the amount of work you have the camera is not "wasted". Enjoy!

May 02, 2013 at 07:48 PM
bayvillian
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5dmk3 only using center point af, am I wasting this camera?

does it automatically go for the peoples eyes? I feel like it wont focus on what I want focused. Im probably just over thinking it.

May 02, 2013 at 07:48 PM
bayvillian
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5dmk3 only using center point af, am I wasting this camera?

robbymack wrote:
It's a preference thing. Some like to move it around others. Like the old focus recompose. Obviously with the amount of work you have the camera is not "wasted". Enjoy!

yea not wasted lol. but I always want to be improving and giving my clients the best shots I can give, so if this helps improve my work even by 1% its worth it to me. Say Im going from a newborn shoot then doing an event in the same day would I use the same focus mode throughout the day? If so which one?
Thanks for all the replies fellas

May 02, 2013 at 07:52 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5dmk3 only using center point af, am I wasting this camera?

I used the 5D I/II for quite a while and became used to focus and recompose which can be disappointing at f2.8 as you tilt your focus plane or subject moves.
With the 5d III, I find I am frequently using my thumb on the joystick to adjust my focus point. Now I compose my shot, then adjust the af point best I can trying to keep the point on the target. This is the way it should be.

May 02, 2013 at 08:06 PM
splathrop
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5dmk3 only using center point af, am I wasting this camera?

With static subjects (I suppose newborns are pretty static) all you lose with focus and recompose on the 5D 3 is some focusing accuracy, and maybe not much of that if you are good at it and avoid the commonest pitfalls. But not all subjects are static.

For example, imagine shooting a hockey game with the goal to your left and the action to the right. When someone lets fly with a shot, you want the focus on the shooter (or on the goalie), but either way, you want the other piece in the picture too. No way to get that with focus and recompose. Note also that the 5D 3 lets you program pre-registered autofocus points so you can switch instantaneously with buttons.

Or shoot the long jump at a track meet. You want to stand at the end of the landing pit and take the shot of the oncoming jumper using a vertical frame orientation. You also want to get low, and show the pit at the bottom, to emphasize the elevation of the jumper. You need to use a right-side-of-the-frame focus point on the jumper to get that. And you can! You can get 3-4 shots of the jumper in the air, and one of the landing, with sharp eyelashes in every frame. It's so easy it's like cheating.

Or imagine shooting birds in flight. You may want to put the birds above the landscape, or the landscape above the birds. Vary the focus point accordingly.

All of which is a warmup to saying that social dynamics work like that other stuff. Focus where you want the attention, not in the center of the frame. Then compose the shot with an eye to letting the out-of-focus parts of the composition move the viewer's eye to where you want the picture emphasis. Start doing that and you will get a hell of a lot more than a 1% improvement.

Good question, by the way.

May 02, 2013 at 08:27 PM
robbymack
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5dmk3 only using center point af, am I wasting this camera?

Experiment and see what works. I actually love 63 points in servo mode for my 20 month old. You select the first point, the camera picks up the action and then the camera tracks the movement across the farm. It's pretty awesome and yes it misses sometimes but with an erratically moving kid it's fantastic. The rest of the time I select 4 point expansion and move it around the frame as needed. I also limit it to only the 41 or so cross points, makes it a bit quicker to move the points around the frame as needed. I actually only use spot or single af when I'm shooting wide open and at or near mfd.

May 02, 2013 at 09:24 PM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5dmk3 only using center point af, am I wasting this camera?

Depends what DOF you are working with I suppose. I certainly cannot focus recompose wide open or even close to it on either my 50mm or 85mm lenses on a camera with this resolution. I can get away with it on a 5Dc but not with the 5D3 (or my 1Ds3 for that matter).

May 03, 2013 at 03:52 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5dmk3 only using center point af, am I wasting this camera?

On the 5D2 we didn't really have a lot of choice but to use the centre AF.

I have the 5D3 set up so it's using one AF point and the surrounding ones for support (AF point expansion) then I set it up so I can move the af point around with the joystick without the need to push the AF button first, this has proved very quick and reliable but note you can only move the AF point when the camera is active (when you have half depressed the release), fooled me to start with (not hard)

Works for me when I want an off-centre subject

May 03, 2013 at 04:04 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5dmk3 only using center point af, am I wasting this camera?

First thing I'd do is register a different AF point or different type AF point. On my camera I use the * button to AF with spot AF at the centre and with the AF ON butrton I registered an off-centre x-type point so I don't have to focus and recompose. To register an AF point, press the AF point selection button, use the joystick to mover AF point to where you want, press M.Fn button to change type of point, then while holding the AF selection button press the lcd illumination button. You can then go to custom controls and set the AF ON to use the registered point and the * the centre point or vice versa.

Also set the camera to use different points in landscape and portrait orientation. Ilike to set the camera to only allow selection of x-type points. If you have a slow lens however you will only be able to use the central 21 points.

May 03, 2013 at 05:25 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.