Saguaro cactus black and white conversion using Calculations

© Dloseke29 2013

Sagurao

May 02, 2013 at 05:53 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sagurao

As a self-proclaimed "master of the saguaro portrait" This is interesting. I don't know what "Calculations" is so maybe this treatment is inherent to it, but find the black sky a bit off-putting. One of the facts of saguaro shooting is the implacable desert light and thus often a very blown out sky. Did you do a white to black inversion on the sky? Judging by the shadow, I'm guessing this was a late evening shot. (Or perhaps maybe early morning, though it doesn't feel like it.) I do like the accent on the trunk's striations. Gives them more prominence than they'd show under normal light/treatment.

Two thoughts from my shooting prejudices: (1) whenever possible I try to get their feet or root. Seems a more complete pix. Also, this can be a real challenge, but I've found not shooting thru the under growth gives the saguaro more presence or power. That of course can be difficult. Do really like the fact that you got low. Definitely a good approach. (I've also shot down on them from a hill or rock. Very different sense of the saguaro.)

Interesting pix. You should show us more.

Robert

(Deep in the Sonoran Desert)

May 04, 2013 at 09:15 AM
Dloseke29
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sagurao

Hi Robert,
Thanks for the great comments on this image. I find them very helpful. I was going for a dramatic sky much as you get from IR images. I have just posted another saguaro image
that I would like your comments on.
Thanks again for your very thoughtful words.
Don

May 04, 2013 at 11:09 AM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.