Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 5DIII Movie issue

Jeff Kingston

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5DIII Movie issue

I am completely vexed. I have shot several film segments with my MkIII without the slightest problem. This has always been done in the context of shooting wristwatches at the watch shows. For all shots--still and movie alike--I have been using a TSE 90 tilt shift lens (which by the way is magnificent). So everything is done live view so that I can focus at 5X manually.

That is all by way of background. When I want to switch from stills to movies, I have switched to A mode and applied a conservative f8 and light with a portable LED. I would jump iso setting to 1600 (but now realize that the camera in A mode overides the manual setting to an auto setting).

I now see the following phenomenon. I set up the shot in live view, then switch to movie, almost immediately the camera is automatically lowering the iso to a setting that vastly underexposes. I have tried pushing the far left hash button (which supposed cancels exposure lock) but to no avail. I have no idea why the camera is setting itself to what is plainly a wrong iso setting. How do I fix this?? What is mysterious is that I have shot dozens of short videos without problem and now this is happening

Advice appreciated.

Jeff

May 02, 2013 at 04:31 PM
thornie

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5DIII Movie issue

Movie mode and auto the ISO modes (A, P, TV, etc) do not work well together. I think it's page 221 in the manual that talks about this. I would recommend shooting manual. I don't know what your workflow is, but shooting video in anything other than manual mode is asking for unpredictable camera behavior.

May 02, 2013 at 04:47 PM
super35
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5DIII Movie issue

I am not sure what you are talking about. The 5D3 does not switch to auto ISO just because you switch from live view still shooting to movie shooting.

Regardless, You need to be in control of the exposure and not the camera. Shoot movies in manual exposure with manual ISO.

The constraints of movie shooting are very different than stills. Your shutter speed needs to stay constant and is generally locked off at double the frame rate. I.E. 24fps is shot at 1/50th (1/48th not available), 30fps at 1/60th, etc. Aperture and ISO should not change during the shot. Changing exposure during a motion picture shot is extremely bad form...

May 02, 2013 at 04:47 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password