Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Advice about selling on B&S

Dan Paik
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Advice about selling on B&S

I have been a member of this forum for many years although I don't necessarily sell a lot of stuff. I do sell every now and then though.

Right now I have 2 large ticket items (for me) because I am selling to save up for a 1Ds Mark III. I am selling my 1D Mark III and 1D Mark II. I know it's not a lot of money compared to other stuff that gets sold but for both cameras, we're still talking about $1400+ so that's a lot of money for me that I don't want to lose.

I had one guy reach out saying that he wants to buy both but wants me to ship to Russia (he would pay via paypal). We negotiated a little bit and agreed to a price. He pushed sort of hard to get a good deal but I'm ok with it. He is insisting that I send USPS Global Express with insurance.

I was initially wary about the Russia thing but he has pretty good feedback here (around 30 positives and no negatives) so I think it's ok. Feedback doesn't mention that they shipped to Russia (although I think one sale mentioned that they shipped it overseas and it was fine) and his profile here doesn't say that he's in Russia. I was thinking that maybe his account got hacked but I don't know.

But he's been a little pushy throughout this process and I told him that if he pays today (Fri) I will ship the 2 cameras out on Monday but he is asking if I can send it out sooner.

Maybe just my imagination but it just doesn't feel right...am I just feeling this way for no reason or should I go with my instinct and just tell him that I don't feel comfortable with the sale so I want to back out?

Maybe it's the shipping to Russia thing that got me suspicious and I'm having trouble shaking that. I have sold things overseas before and asked the buyer how much he thinks it will cost to ship out to his country and usually the buyer will say something like "oh yeah, i've had stuff like that sent all the time and it should cost you around $X or so" but in this case when i asked he was more like "you should go to the post office and ask them yourself", etc.

any thoughts?

May 02, 2013 at 01:56 PM
mitesh
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Advice about selling on B&S

Dan,

I've never dealt with a situation like the one you've described, but there have been other members who have posted about similar situations. It seems that a lot of the input given to those members - and what I'd tend to advise myself - is that you should "go with your gut." If you are uncomfortable for any reason, simply decline the sale. It is your right to sell to whomever you would like to. I'm sure you will find another buyer. I wouldn't want to rush to judgment and say that this individual is trying to scam you, but if you have your doubts, then why proceed? Nobody is in a better position to make that call than you.

Best of luck with your decision and sale!

May 02, 2013 at 02:18 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Advice about selling on B&S

+1 to mitesh - if it doesn't feel right, I sure wouldn't do it either.

May 02, 2013 at 02:35 PM
mfreardon
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Advice about selling on B&S

I agree with "go with your gut." Good luck.

May 02, 2013 at 02:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Dan Paik
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Advice about selling on B&S

ok thanks. i think i'll go with my gut (reminds me...i need some exercise) on this one.

May 02, 2013 at 04:21 PM
saltonstall
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Advice about selling on B&S

Was his address in Russia confirmed by PayPal?

May 04, 2013 at 08:07 PM
RKH
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Advice about selling on B&S

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

May 06, 2013 at 01:24 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password