Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Fake LC-E4N

TheBearman
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Fake LC-E4N

The old saying, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". I came across what I thought was a smokin deal on a LC-E4N, less than $250 new. Was a little skeptical but everything I could see seemed to indicate this was the real deal.

With all this talk about good Chinese fakes with batteries I started to wonder if this isn't a real Canon charger. The first item I noted is that the ones sold by B&H include the car adapter, this one didn't. The artwork, labeling, fit and finish seems to match what I'd expect from Canon. The box, manual, warranty card all look legit.

But.... looking closely at the label on the back shows "Phihong(Dong Guan)Electronics Co, Ltd." followed by "Canon Inc. Made in China".

So, is this a fake?

BTW, it seems to work but I expect any 3rd party charger also seems to work even if it doesn't charge the batteries correctly.

May 02, 2013 at 03:28 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Fake LC-E4N

Mine also have the Phihong(Dong Guan)Electronics Co, Ltd." followed by "Canon Inc. Made in China". And it's the original that came with the camera.

May 02, 2013 at 04:48 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Fake LC-E4N

Its most likely to be genuine

Reasons:

1: a charger for a low volume (yes a 1 series is low volume) camera that comes with the item is unlikely to be the target of a fakeing operation .

2: canon like most other companies outsource that sort of stuff , and most of that is to china these days . Not everything that comes out of china is a fake you know

3: if you were going to go to the trouble of fakeing something then your not likely to put your own company/factory name on it are you ?

By the way I think the listing on bh may be wrong . I don't think it comes with the car charger . I don't think canon do any chargers that come with the car charger other than the specific car ones that they have done in the past (for a high premium over the standard) . Did the 1Dx come with a car adapter for the charger ?
I've had a look at a few other listings for the LC-e4n and can see no mention of a car adapter

May 02, 2013 at 07:55 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Fake LC-E4N

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Mine also have the Phihong(Dong Guan)Electronics Co, Ltd." followed by "Canon Inc. Made in China". And it's the original that came with the camera.

Same here. Mine came in the 1DX box, directly from CPS Canada.

As mentioned by Ian, I figure if Phihong(Dong Guan)Electronics was going to make a fake, they wouldn't put their name on it.

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
...Did the 1Dx come with a car adapter for the charger ?

Not mine.

May 02, 2013 at 11:25 AM
TheBearman
• •
p.1 #5 · Fake LC-E4N

Thanks folks. Having taken a look at my non-N charger I noted it was also made in China. Ian, you're right, not everything made in China is a fake. Most Apple items are made there.

It's also good to hear that my concern over the car charger is simply a listing error.

May 02, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Fake LC-E4N

There's at least one generic LC-E4N charger that works fine on LP-E4 and LP-E4N batteries.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1202717/0?keyword=charge#11465183

I have two Canon chargers (LC-E4 and LC-E4N) that I got with new cameras. I recently bought some of these generic chargers for travel, and for events, just in case.

May 02, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Fake LC-E4N

What gets me is that $250 can be considered a 'bargain' for a thing that charges batteries . The price of these things is totally stupid .

Does this one charge both batteries at the same time? Or is it the same as all canon's other 2 battery chargers?

Its a while ago now but I once looked at the price of the dual charger for the 40D battery . I could buy 2 single chargers and still have change . And then I could charge 2 batteries at the same time !

May 02, 2013 at 01:56 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Fake LC-E4N

It charges one, and then the other.

May 02, 2013 at 02:49 PM
TheBearman
• •
p.1 #9 · Fake LC-E4N

Yea, $250 is still on the high side... But considering the $450 price on the Canon site and $370 price at B&H it's a bargain.

May 03, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Fake LC-E4N

TheBearman wrote:
Yea, $250 is still on the high side... But considering the $450 price on the Canon site and $370 price at B&H it's a bargain.

Yeah I wasn't really commenting on the fact that $250 is not a bargain , but more that a price like $250 can be considered a bargain in the first place only because the price from other vendors is so silly high .

May 03, 2013 at 12:13 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password