Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sony NEW APCS sensor Compact Zoom!

Visuals
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony NEW APCS sensor Compact Zoom!

I called it first!!

The way Sony is going and innovating I can see them being the first to do this!
They put the 1 inch sensor in a compact and a full frame in a compact!

The RX200 may have a bigger sensor!

I grew tired of changing lenses a long time ago!
I love that Fuji with their X100x, X10, X20s and Sony with It's RX100 and RX1 are going in this direction

What are your thoughts?

May 01, 2013 at 08:08 PM
jctriguy
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony NEW APCS sensor Compact Zoom!

Sure, why not. It probably won't be that compact, but they have the sensors already.

Personally, I would be more interested in Sony doing some work on their user interface. It makes otherwise good cameras harder to use.

May 01, 2013 at 08:17 PM
DtEW
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony NEW APCS sensor Compact Zoom!

If they were to stick to naming convention, an APS-C fixed-lens compact would be called the RX10, not the RX200. The RX200 would be the RX100 successor.

May 01, 2013 at 08:39 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony NEW APCS sensor Compact Zoom!

aps-c with dual range 24/2 and 50/2 lens.

May 01, 2013 at 08:49 PM
HopeIsEternal
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony NEW APCS sensor Compact Zoom!

been there, done that!
Sony already did this with the R1 which had close to APS-C sensor and a Carl Zeiss branded zoom lens.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscr1

http://3.static.img-dpreview.com/reviews/SonyDSCR1/Images/frontview-001.jpg

May 01, 2013 at 09:11 PM
jctriguy
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony NEW APCS sensor Compact Zoom!

HopeIsEternal wrote:
been there, done that!
Sony already did this with the R1 which had close to APS-C sensor and a Carl Zeiss branded zoom lens.

That isn't really a compact compared to todays standards like the RX100 and RX1.

May 01, 2013 at 09:27 PM
genji
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony NEW APCS sensor Compact Zoom!

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
aps-c with dual range 24/2 and 50/2 lens.

+1

May 01, 2013 at 10:18 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony NEW APCS sensor Compact Zoom!

genji wrote:
+1

That I would buy.

May 01, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Ariel70
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony NEW APCS sensor Compact Zoom!

That's the RX10 that I've been dreaming with...APCS sensor with CZ zoom lens...

May 02, 2013 at 09:25 AM
Visuals
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony NEW APCS sensor Compact Zoom!

Ariel70 wrote:
That's the RX10 that I've been dreaming with...APCS sensor with CZ zoom lens...

If you mean the RX100 with an APS-C zoom fixed aperture!?
That will clean up I think......No more lenses
Compact too.

In any case the technology is getting better

May 02, 2013 at 10:22 AM
HopeIsEternal
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony NEW APCS sensor Compact Zoom!

So how small do you think an APS-C reasonably fast and wide range zoom lens can be made?
The shell of the camera could definitely get smaller than the R1 but I don't think that the zoom
lens would get much smaller.

jctriguy wrote:
That isn't really a compact compared to todays standards like the RX100 and RX1.

May 02, 2013 at 10:26 AM
philip_pj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony NEW APCS sensor Compact Zoom!

Pondering what Sony might do with a sibling RXn model, the 35/2 is good enough for up to 50mm cropped, most agree. The world is awash with many fine short tele lenses say 75-90mm, so no point in that really, evern thoug they can be made small. I came up with a 25mm fixed for another 'RX1', f2 or f2.8. A serious design challenge however...

The trouble with zooms is, if it is to be small, it will have to be restricted in range, and if it's restricted in range users shy away. Same for lens speed. 'Why is it so slow', they cry, why can't I control DOF ;-)

So you get this big divide from the fixed lens evern on FF now - to say, the RX100's 28-100mm equivalent, very good though it is. Gets harder for APS-C though, even Fuji's 18-55 is getting large and it's still got huge DOF. Even moderate speed acceptable range zooms have to be large on APS-C.

May 02, 2013 at 07:44 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony NEW APCS sensor Compact Zoom!

Ah, the Sony DSCR1, memories memories...

May 04, 2013 at 01:18 AM
theSuede
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony NEW APCS sensor Compact Zoom!

If I was Sony, I'd see the RX1 or one of the smaller NEX bodies as a very good starting platform. Now they have (some) of the body tooling, they have (almost all of) the electronics mainboard and ancillaries already payed for - why not take that free resource and run with it?

To keep the compact body, a zoom would only be possible with the APS sensor. To get sufficient quality, even if you restrict the zoom to a very narrow range as 25-50/2.8 - it would be enormous on the RX1 body.

To see the possible dimensions for an APS type camera, a standard 60mm Gauss/Ultron is about the size you need to get an 18-50 working with reasonable quality.

One thing I'm really looking forward to is the differentiation the manufacturers will need to be "better than the smart camera". This will quite probably increase the market segment size of the "high quality compact", a segment I very much like.

And I do wish large companies (not just camera companies) would continually upgrade existing models in stead of constantly spraying the market with new, badly tested, cheap constructions. Like Leica, but without their totally over the top money-grabbing scheme.

Getting a good basic formula, and then gradually changing bits of it as better possibilities evolve makes a product stable and it also lowers costs - while having the built-in possibility of increasing quality and decreasing production reconfigurations.

Like the NEX'es. Why a new body every time? Why a new mainboard shape every time?

"Normal customers" just buy what's in the store, and even 1-2 gen old cameras of that type is way over what most people need regarding quality. The nutters (like me and maybe others here) can run out and always be updated as soon as something new arrives.

Unfortunately modern human culture doesn't work that way, in general we need to be fed NEWSNEWSNEWSNEWS all the time if we are to spend money. Never mind quality, longevity or long term owning costs.

May 04, 2013 at 08:29 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sony NEW APCS sensor Compact Zoom!

Yes Joakim, the above reasoning is exactly why I have been patiently holding out and hoping for the Ricoh GR - which I find started out as a great product platform which has been kept more or less intact over the years. The mold and the ergonomics where there already, some upgrades subtle, some substantial. Over the years my main gripe has been that the sensors have been to small and that the sensor technology at the time did not allow for "good enough" performance for my own taste.

Now I feel it is "mature" in a way that I have been looking forward to ever since I had the film version, the GR1s and V and welcome the fact that it has stayed in the same shape/form factor.

May 04, 2013 at 08:43 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.