Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Lens for route 66

godfreyz
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lens for route 66

I had posted the following topic on the Landscape Forum and someone suggested that I post it on the Canon forum. So here it is:

"My wife and I will be doing the Route 66 trip from Chicago to Santa Monica shortly. I will be using the 7D exclusively. However, I am soliciting lens suggestions for the trip. From this list of lenses, which lenses would you take? 10-22, 70-200 IS ver 2, 70-200 F4 IS, 100-400 IS, 24-105 IS, Tammy 17-50, 28-75. Primes, 28, 35, 50, 85, 100, 135. Will be shooting WA through zoom. Besides the road signs and diners, etc type pictures on route 66, will also be taking pics of the Grand Canyon, Sedona, etc
Thanks in advance!"

I would like to take three or possibly four of these lenses. Appreciate any comments!

May 01, 2013 at 04:22 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lens for route 66

I'd take the 10-22, 24-105L IS, and 100-400L IS zoom lenses, and maybe a prime like the 50/1.4, for example.

May 01, 2013 at 04:41 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lens for route 66

Much like Jim suggested, I'd take the 10-22, 24-105, 100-400, and the 100 prime if it is macro. Adding the 70-200 f/4 IS would also be good for convenience if you can handle the extra weight. Hard to argue against bringing a fast prime or two, but only if fast.

I would definitely take a good tripod and head, even if it meant taking fewer lenses. I'd make sure that the head was a good pan head and personally I would also take a nodal slider with a list of pre-determined nodal point settings (the proper term is actually entrance / exit pupil distances). This is for stitching ultra high resolution panoramas.

Definitely bring CP filters for all lenses, and a 3 stop ND for each.

Bring a laptop with two internal drives or also bring an external drive. Download and backup the pictures each night. Backup cumulatively the dozen best selects from each day to an RW DVD disk and keep that disk separately from the hard drives (on your person if drives are in the car, for example).

May 01, 2013 at 04:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lens for route 66

jcolwell wrote:
I'd take the 10-22, 24-105L IS, and 100-400L IS zoom lenses, and maybe a prime like the 50/1.4, for example.

+1 Perfect!

May 01, 2013 at 05:18 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lens for route 66

I did a trip to Maine and the 24-105 having the IS became a definite favorite! Certainly for those wide vistas the 10-22 will be spectacular too

Any thoughts on maybe the 70-300L for your zoom?

That sounds like a wonderful drive! Have a blast
Karl

May 01, 2013 at 09:01 PM
Ravitej
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lens for route 66

Wide range of 16-35 on full frame for little cafes and intimate conversation (EF-S 10-22 on crop camera.)
A medium general purpose zoom giving a range of 24 to 70 or 100 full frame (EF-S 15-85 IS on crop camera or your tammy 17-50)
Lightweight telephoto. 100-400ish on full frame (EF 70-200 L f4 IS on crop camera)
Add a 1.4 TC to make the 70-200 extend to over 400 (crop camera) for the occasional long shot.
One prime. The 28.

Wide, medium, long and one normal lens on crop camera. All lightweight to carry in a smaller bag. IS for the lenses that would need it. 15-85 (or 17-50) used 75% of the time. 70-200 F4 IS for good bokeh, sharp details and lightweight. 10-22 for close quarters and showing big space in a dramatic way. Take a big flash like the 580 or 600 with the ability to bounce and reflect (DEMB adjustable flash bounce is a good choice google DEMB)

77mm polarizing filter for the 10-22 and step down rings to fit the others. Polarizing not great for really wide, but sometimes it's needed. And great for landscapes, water and glass.

RODE Video Pro (shotgun mic) for interviews and commentary with broadcast quality audio. A good mic makes all the difference when shooting video. Small form factor to fit in a compact camera bag.

A hand grip, spare battery and memory cards. Nice compact bag to hold it all.

Compact tripod with a (real) fluid head if going to shot much video. A ball head is fine for stills, but if shooting video where movement is involved a fluid head that handles smoothly will come in handy. Doesn't have to be expensive, just smooth. Fluid works fine for stills. Just have to adjust legs for uneven surfaces (make sure it has a bubble level)

That's a fairly compact car trip kit not taking a lot of room or weight.

Perhaps add a small second camera bag for just the camera and medium lens to carry into places with a lower profile.

May 02, 2013 at 02:26 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password