Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Strange noise inside 5D mark III Normal?

jaehoppa
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Strange noise inside 5D mark III Normal?

So recently when I was taking a picture I noticed a sound coming from the right side of the camera (the shutter button side).
I could hear it clearly when I press my ear against the thumb pad or better the right side of the rubber grip (where your palm would be).
It sounds like a cricket chirping (that's the best I could describe it as).
It's not a high frequency electrical noise (which I can hear from the bottom of the camera).
It's just loud enough to be vaguely heard during normal shooting (without ear pressed against) in a quiet room.
Definitely won't be able to hear it outdoors.

This is not an IS noise as it happens with a non-IS lens.

It only occurs with a lens mounted and occurs after a half-shutter press and release (not a full press).
The sound lasts about 5 seconds and during that 5 second period, if I half press and hold the shutter the sound goes away temporarily and restarts when I let go of the shutter.
Again in AF mode, the sound occurs after I half press and release my finger.
But weirdly in MF mode, the sound occurs only when I half press and HOLD.
What could this be?
If you have a 5D mark iii can you guys try it for me and see if you can hear it?
You have to be in a quiet environment and have your ear press against the right palm area of the rubber grip.
Thanks in advance and let me know!

Edited on May 01, 2013 at 08:10 PM · View previous versions

May 01, 2013 at 02:55 PM
quicksilver33
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Strange noise inside 5D mark III Normal?

Mine seems to have a similar crickets noise but you really have to put your ear against it in a quiet room. I have the plastic fantastic on the body and definitely can't hear the noise over the AF even with my ear pasted against the grip. Lasts about 5 seconds with or without keeping the shutter half-held. I'm kind of surprised you could hear it initially though - I doubt I would have been able to hear it without my ear pressed against the body.

You do realize you're not supposed to have your ear pressed against the grip during shooting right?!

May 01, 2013 at 03:31 PM
jaehoppa
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Strange noise inside 5D mark III Normal?

quicksilver33 wrote:
Mine seems to have a similar crickets noise but you really have to put your ear against it in a quiet room. I have the plastic fantastic on the body and definitely can't hear the noise over the AF even with my ear pasted against the grip. Lasts about 5 seconds with or without keeping the shutter half-held. I'm kind of surprised you could hear it initially though - I doubt I would have been able to hear it without my ear pressed against the body.

You do realize you're not supposed to have your ear pressed against the grip during
...Show more

i can see my subject with both of my eyes that way

thank you so much for checking. Wonder what it is though..

May 01, 2013 at 03:38 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Strange noise inside 5D mark III Normal?

You're not alone, I can hear it too, half-pressing the shutter I can hear a noise that lasts about 5 seconds before going away. It's probably just chatter from the little men inside the camera that make the mirror go up and down and open and close the shutter.

Seriously it's probably just the energizing of the step-up circuit that generates the higher voltage necessary to trigger the servos that move the mirror and the shutter. Or the servo itself being powered (but held stationary).

May 01, 2013 at 03:50 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Strange noise inside 5D mark III Normal?

I can hear whatever the widget is that tells the camera whether you are vertical or horizontal if that helps.

May 01, 2013 at 04:31 PM
jaehoppa
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Strange noise inside 5D mark III Normal?

Anyone else?
the easiest way to duplicate the sound is to switch the lens to MF and holding the shutter halfway.
the sound will go on as long as you hold the shutter halfway.
it is not a high frequency sound.

May 01, 2013 at 05:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Strange noise inside 5D mark III Normal?

jaehoppa wrote:
So recently when I was taking a picture I noticed a sound coming from the right side of the camera (the shutter button side).
I could hear it clearly when I press my ear against the thumb pad or better the right side of the rubber grip (where your palm would be).
It sounds like a cricket chirping (that's the best I could describe it as).
It's not a high frequency electrical noise (which I can hear from the bottom of the camera).
It's just loud enough to be vaguely heard during normal shooting (without ear pressed against) in a quiet room.
Definitely won't
...Show more

Whoa you are right! Never noticed it before, it is like crickets, freaky!

(It's probably signs of an authentic Canon battery pack building up too much pressure and it probably doesn't happen if you use counterfeits - OK I'm just being totally ridiculous here, do not take this part seriously.)

May 01, 2013 at 06:47 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Strange noise inside 5D mark III Normal?

I thought you guy were complaining about noise in images...

May 01, 2013 at 06:58 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Strange noise inside 5D mark III Normal?

I can hear it too. Sounds like something to spinning to me (is there anything inside spinning?). The noise continues for as long as I hold the shutter button down halfway and then stays for about 5 seconds, then fades as though whatever is spinning, slowly stops.

May 01, 2013 at 08:40 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Strange noise inside 5D mark III Normal?

Bones like I said already probably just the mirror or shutter servo being energized. Canon doesn't have in-body IS like the OM-D and I have the autofocus moved off the shutter half-press so I can't think of anything it would be other than that.

May 01, 2013 at 09:43 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Strange noise inside 5D mark III Normal?

Access wrote:
Bones like I said already probably just the mirror or shutter servo being energized. Canon doesn't have in-body IS like the OM-D and I have the autofocus moved off the shutter half-press so I can't think of anything it would be other than that.

For sure it doesn't have in-body IS I think you're right on the servo... Be interesting to see the technical details on this.

May 01, 2013 at 09:53 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Strange noise inside 5D mark III Normal?

Google "taking apart a Canon DSLR", I don't have time to watch the whole thing right now but here is an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd4eeUDPOE0

May 01, 2013 at 10:30 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password