Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Question RE: cost to remove internal dust particles from ...

Shutterbug2006
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Question RE: cost to remove internal dust particles from lens

I have a couple of lenses that have dust particles inside that show up when used at a particular focal length.

I'm curious what the cost might be to have them professionally cleaned by Canon (in particular-Canon Canada) and if anyone has had a bad experience having it done (ie: came back with more dust than it left with).

One lens has two dust particles that I consider large in comparison to normal ones that show up particularly in scenes such as those that might feature sky as a background and tick me off because I have to take extra care to remove them before making a print and wastes time.

I imagine it might not be cost effective, or that I might just be inviting more trouble than it's worth.

Any experiences you could share would be helpful!

Thanks

May 01, 2013 at 04:16 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Question RE: cost to remove internal dust particles from lens

I'm curious as well about this.

May 01, 2013 at 04:49 AM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Question RE: cost to remove internal dust particles from lens

How big are the particles?

May 01, 2013 at 04:58 AM
Ferrophot
• •
p.1 #4 · Question RE: cost to remove internal dust particles from lens

Several years ago I sent an 85 1.8 away to canon for checking after it was dropped. It was returned with the comment that there was no damage and the lens was operating correctly. It had also been cleaned back to as new condition. This cost around $50. Within 6 months the lens was starting to look just as "dusted" as before, no effect on images of course. Several of my lenses have dust inside them, but as it does not affect images I don't worry.

May 01, 2013 at 05:06 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Question RE: cost to remove internal dust particles from lens

Most dust particles are so small that even stopping down and shooting against a clear light textureless subject like the sky, they will not be imaged by the sensor (sub-pixel). At the position of the dust inside the lenses, they will be well away from the sensor and so grossly oof that they will never be imaged unless they are very large.

May 01, 2013 at 05:14 AM
John_T
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Question RE: cost to remove internal dust particles from lens

...at this juncture I feel obliged to bring on Roger's classic...

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008/10/front-element-scratches

May 01, 2013 at 06:30 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #7 · Question RE: cost to remove internal dust particles from lens

The two particles are large enough to be seen pretty easily when I print - so I have to spend extra time on every shot removing them. I'd rather not have to do that if the cost isn't too prohibitive.

May 01, 2013 at 08:57 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Depp
• •
p.1 #8 · Question RE: cost to remove internal dust particles from lens

Are you sure it isn't dust on the sensor?

May 01, 2013 at 09:04 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Question RE: cost to remove internal dust particles from lens

I have been told by Canon Canada on several occasions that they do not do internal lens cleaning because, for one, they do not have a dust free work enclosure (i.e., "clean room" or a "clean hood"), where such cleaning could be performed.

Either way, even if they did it, they would probably charge a pretty penny for it, unless only an outside lens element would require cleaning.

A few years ago I had the Sun Camera (Toronto) clean the rearmost element of one of my small lenses. The job was done well, and they charged $60 for it.

May 01, 2013 at 09:14 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Question RE: cost to remove internal dust particles from lens

The cost is going to vary according to which lens and where the dust is located within the lens. If you can see it in images, it's almost certainly right up against the rear element unless it's a wide angle lens. That's very quick and easy to do (in fact if you're even slightly handy you can do it at home).

May 01, 2013 at 10:58 AM
gocolts
• • •
p.1 #11 · Question RE: cost to remove internal dust particles from lens

RCicala wrote:
The cost is going to vary according to which lens and where the dust is located within the lens. If you can see it in images, it's almost certainly right up against the rear element unless it's a wide angle lens. That's very quick and easy to do (in fact if you're even slightly handy you can do it at home).

Link to instructions? I have an older lens that I might give it a shot on...

May 01, 2013 at 12:18 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Question RE: cost to remove internal dust particles from lens

gocolts wrote:
Link to instructions? I have an older lens that I might give it a shot on...

I'll try to put something together on my blog in a week or so. It's a lot easier to demonstrate with pictures.

May 01, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Methodical
• • •
p.1 #13 · Question RE: cost to remove internal dust particles from lens

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
The two particles are large enough to be seen pretty easily when I print - so I have to spend extra time on every shot removing them. I'd rather not have to do that if the cost isn't too prohibitive.

Sounds like a dirty sensor. Try cleaning the sensor and test to see if the particle shows up again.

Al

May 01, 2013 at 06:24 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #14 · Question RE: cost to remove internal dust particles from lens

It's not the sensor. I have 6 Canon DSLRs, and the problem moves from camera to camera as the lens is changed.

May 01, 2013 at 08:08 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password