Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · First Time Shooting Softball CC Please

aj1999

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First Time Shooting Softball CC Please

I took these photographs with my dad, he only gave me pointers I took the pictures. All feedback is helpful I'm looking to improve as much as possible. Don't hold back on your thoughts or ideas on what to improve on.

(Dad's commentary: I'm a member here but wanted her to have her own account to get feedback from y'all. I set the camera up and shot 1/2 an inning, she shot the next half. But all the focus, shots, cropping, were done by her. I'm teaching her what I know about sports photography and post processing. Since she has expressed an interest I figured other people opinions often times are valued more than dad's. I will say she is very critical of her own work, and we spend time looking at photos posted here so she can get an idea of what you guys critique and what you guys like. She watches for background, horizon lines and distractions. So please be honest and fire away on what you like and what she can improve. I told her it's a tough world to be a female sports photographer, but she would stand out and if she works hard at it there's no reason why we can't see her pictures in the magazines some day.)

© aj1999 2013

© aj1999 2013

© aj1999 2013

© aj1999 2013

© aj1999 2013

Apr 30, 2013 at 07:30 PM
jmcaverly
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First Time Shooting Softball CC Please

Very nice job. I like the crop on #1 and the timing looks good on the rest. Glad that you guys get to shoot together.

Apr 30, 2013 at 08:26 PM
innaeddy1
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First Time Shooting Softball CC Please

first welcome to FM,

my first impressions, just scrolling thru were not the worst I have seen, but could be better.

1. I like the image and usually would be a good sellable image, you got the ball, eyes, and the exposure seems to be good in what looks like harsh light(at work and not on a calibrated monitor so cant really say for sure on colors). what I dont like and weakens the image is the green ball lost in the green trees. If the ball were to be closer to the glove, then much better and you could crop all the trees out. Not bad but could be a little stronger,

2. Good stock shot of the pitcher, again colors seem good. I am usually not to worried with off horizons, but this one could use some straighting. It looks like you were shooting from an elevated position, if so then get lower, also crop looks good.

3. Another stock pitcher shot, and the weakest in the bunch. The composition is not bad, but the image is soft and not in focus. The image could stand more cropping from the top and bottom, but why waste time working on an image if its a throw away.

4. Good shot and pretty good timing. Eyes are visiable and a pretty good crop. I would probably crop this one even tighter, just above the head and just above the bent leg, and if not the leg for sure more off the top. The image looks a little soft, but not much. The background really kills this shot with the person on the bench.

5. I like this image, I would crop more off the bottom. Some people will say the girls face takes away from the image, I think it adds to it. My favorite of the bunch.

With all that said, they all looked a little washed out, but the contrast can easily be boosted in the computer. It looks like you had some harsh light and can lead to soft images and low contrast. Your exposure looks good seing the face in these and sometimes that is what you have to do {expose for face and let every thing else fall where it falls}.
I think you have a good start, just keep shooting and trying new things.

Andy

this is just my OP listen and see what others tell you

Apr 30, 2013 at 08:46 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First Time Shooting Softball CC Please

1. I like #1 but on the other hand I don't because there is just too much space between the glove and the ball.

2. Watch your horizon.
3. Better horizon but prefer #2 over 3.
4. A nice shot. a tad underexposed easy to fix.
5. Shows emotion. I like the shot.

Overall I think you have a very nice series.

Ted

May 01, 2013 at 09:41 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First Time Shooting Softball CC Please

I agree with most of the comments so far. A couple of points of note that varies from Andy's opinion a bit...

On #2... I don't like capturing pitchers from this part of the windmill. It's less flattering than the ones from the upper part of the windmill. Also, they tend to work better dead on from behind home plate or full profile. Again though, I'm talking about the upper part of the delivery. I don't like the ball out of the finger capture on females.

On #3... anytime you have an opportunity to crop out a yellow outfield fence protector, you do it. Here, there is room to do so... so do it!

On #4... horizon appears to be off

#5 is my fave.

Hope this helps. Keep posting.

May 01, 2013 at 10:42 AM
mikepmcs
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First Time Shooting Softball CC Please

#5 is awesome!

May 01, 2013 at 04:27 PM
aj1999

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · First Time Shooting Softball CC Please

Thanks for the feedback it was really helpful. Now that you mention those small errors I see what you mean and I see how they "take away" in a sense from the pictures.

May 02, 2013 at 03:40 PM
ESeidle
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · First Time Shooting Softball CC Please

i was inspired by your post, hats off to you and good luck. it can be hard breaking in to any game when youre young and your doing well so keep it up.

4 and 5 were my favs as well. +1 with ball lost in tress on #1 and +1 OOF on #3. personally on shots like #2 and #3 when getting the pitcher i like to try and catch the pitcher with their arms in classic L shape.

L shape from front:

L shape from side:

May 06, 2013 at 07:49 PM
Hybrid AWD
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · First Time Shooting Softball CC Please

Everyone above pretty much summed everything up that I would say. Still not a bad series by any means.

May 07, 2013 at 08:22 AM
markhatlen

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · First Time Shooting Softball CC Please

DizzelDel, your second L shot is a great one of an illegal pitch. That back foot has to stay on the ground. I have three pitcher daughters, and they delight in catching each other in IP fouls!

Apr 10, 2014 at 04:09 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.