Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Foundation Kit dilemma

MikeW
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Foundation Kit dilemma

So I just got a new filter, the cokin Z173 blue gold filter. It is nice But it takes more than 1 slot preventing any grads to be used. This is because I have the 105mm cpl ring on the front.

The cheapest thing is to order extra side rails to make it 3 slots. I was wondering if anyone has a 24mm lens with the 105mm Lee cpl and three slots to tell me if it vignettes.

The alternative is to get another FK for the z173 & grads which is obviously more expensive. Unfortunately BH turns a $4 part order into a $24 shipped order for the side rails so it makes me think about choices!

Thanks,

Mike

Apr 30, 2013 at 10:52 PM
helimat
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Foundation Kit dilemma

That's weird, my Foundation Kit came with three rails. I wish I could help you with your query about vignettes, but I would try The Camera Store in Calgary to see if they can get the parts for you. I am sure they wouldn't charge nearly as much for shipping, and they are a very helpful group there.

May 03, 2013 at 01:00 AM
time2clmb
• •
p.1 #3 · Foundation Kit dilemma

Go with the Camera Store or Vistek. Good selection and no duties or cross border cc fees.

May 03, 2013 at 01:08 AM
helimat
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Foundation Kit dilemma

Plus, with the death of the HST in BC, orders from Alberta only have the 5% GST applied.

May 03, 2013 at 01:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Danny Michael

p.1 #5 · Foundation Kit dilemma

helimat wrote:
That's weird, my Foundation Kit came with three rails. I wish I could help you with your query about vignettes, but I would try The Camera Store in Calgary to see if they can get the parts for you. I am sure they wouldn't charge nearly as much for shipping, and they are a very helpful group there.

My kit came with one rail installed and 2 extra sets in a bag. Maybe the Op needs to check his original box for the missing 2.

May 03, 2013 at 01:44 AM
helimat
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Foundation Kit dilemma

Ha ha, mine came with two installed and one spare. So yea, he might have received extras, and they're tucked away somewhere.

May 03, 2013 at 01:50 AM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #7 · Foundation Kit dilemma

It came with 2 installed & I do have a faint memory of a spare set but not in the box :/

camerastore is great. I love the hst demise, buying new is that much cheaper. I think I'm going to get a pro kit holder (whole new one) so 1 is for my lee cpl & grads & other is for the z173 & grads.

I played with the z173 yesterday & you'd definitely benefit from the separate rotation.

May 03, 2013 at 03:38 PM
nikey
• • •
p.1 #8 · Foundation Kit dilemma

helimat wrote:
Ha ha, mine came with two installed and one spare. So yea, he might have received extras, and they're tucked away somewhere.

Same as mine except I installed all three but cut the first slot so I can put my 4mm thick CPL. I rotate the whole holder to get the desired CPL effect. Of course I can no longer use Grad ND filter but still use a regular (Non GRAD) ND to slow down shutter speed. My set-up is vignette free of but I'm limited to 2mm thick ND filter because 4mm thick would require 4 slots which has the vignette potential.

PS: This is based on 5d3+24-70m2

May 03, 2013 at 03:48 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password