Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · ND Filter recommendation please

peterbosox
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · ND Filter recommendation please

Asking your advise for a good (but not $$$$) Netural Density filter that I can use at the beach to turn waves all nice and smooth.

Good brand as well as how dark of a ND filter. this would screw onto my lens (17-40mm).

Thanks

Apr 30, 2013 at 08:54 PM
lorirobin57
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · ND Filter recommendation please

a Singh Ray ND filter

Apr 30, 2013 at 09:19 PM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · ND Filter recommendation please

B&W 10-stop ND filter

Apr 30, 2013 at 09:22 PM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · ND Filter recommendation please

If they have to be screw in +1 on the B&W also the HMC ND8 seems pretty good.

I like my Hitech grad ND's though as they are long enough to use as both a full ND filter and as intended. Might be worth checking out if you're going to be dealing with horizons etc.

Apr 30, 2013 at 09:30 PM
Mike Jacks0n

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · ND Filter recommendation please

I like the vario-style ND's, but itís tough to make a particular recommendation based on some of the feedback I've seen. On my ND filter, The Genus 2-8 Stop, feedback I've seen seems to be a little mixed due to Quality Control. That said, I'm quite happy with my variable ND. It gives a fair share adjustment range (IIRC 2-8 stops) I don't need to carry multiple filters, and itís pretty neutral. The only thing I don't like is the fact I can't attach anything to it (this filter will not accept any filter holders, no attachment threads).

The B+W 10 stop is good, but gives a fairly strong color cast (warming) and is a pain to compose with (you have to remove it to see through the viewfinder).

From what I hear, the Singh-Ray is pretty good (low color cast and good overall quality) but you pay for it.

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · ND Filter recommendation please

I have the Lee Big Stopper and Lee Holder system and also have a B+W ND110 screw on filter.

Pros:
B+W = cheaper and still a great ND filter.
Lee = High Quality ND filter and with Lee holder you can very quickly remove/replace the filter when composing.

Cons:
B+W = adds a fairly strong magenta colour cast to the image and can be a real PITA having to screw on/off the filter to compose and recompose!
Lee = adds a bluing colour cast to images.

Based on my experience I MUCH prefer the Lee system but you get a great bang for your buck with the B+W if you don't mind the extra hassles taking the filter on/off between exposures.

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:58 PM
TheWengler
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · ND Filter recommendation please

That depends what time of day you're taking the photos and how long of a shutter speed you want to get.

May 01, 2013 at 01:17 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · ND Filter recommendation please

Might be worth a look at the Tiffen ND's as well. Made from glass, supposedly neutral (haven't had a chance to check mine yet, and not crazy expensive like some. I think I bought a 7-stop version.

May 01, 2013 at 01:18 AM
KFG1
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · ND Filter recommendation please

Scott Kroeker wrote:
I have the Lee Big Stopper and Lee Holder system and also have a B+W ND110 screw on filter.

Pros:
B+W = cheaper and still a great ND filter.
Lee = High Quality ND filter and with Lee holder you can very quickly remove/replace the filter when composing.

Cons:
B+W = adds a fairly strong magenta colour cast to the image and can be a real PITA having to screw on/off the filter to compose and recompose!
Lee = adds a bluing colour cast to images.

Based on my experience I MUCH prefer the Lee system but you get a great bang
...Show more

Perfect description, likewise I have both and agree completely.

May 01, 2013 at 02:40 AM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · ND Filter recommendation please

Hi Peter,

I'll have to second Scott Kroeker's suggestion of looking into a square/rectangular filter setup like Lee (or Cokin, or Hitech, etc.). What might seem like a simple decision of purchasing a single filter for a specific lens can quickly turn into, "gee, I could sure use some other filters for my other lenses!" and the cost of going that route can quickly add up. Sure the initial cost of a rectangular system might be more than you're currently considering, but I've been down that road already and my own cost analysis is that I was wise to move over to a filter system. That you do decide that a round screw-in filter is the way to go consider getting a size to accommodate your largest lens and invest in some step-down adapter rings for that 17-40mm and your other lenses. Somethings to consider, just food for thought.

As for recommendations of specific filters, well I'm in the same boat as you right now...interested in the ability of acquiring a smoothing effect where I feel I could have fun with it, and not sure which product to go with... FWIW, I've been wading my way through this forum thread over at POTN seeing what other folks are doing in this regard...

Post your 9 or 10 stop ND photos - Canon Digital Photography Forums:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=784867

...currently at 332 pages there are a lot of images and first-hand experiences with these filters (some of them mentioned above)! Best of luck with your research and be sure to let us know what you decide!

May 01, 2013 at 03:43 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · ND Filter recommendation please

I still struggle with my big stopper. Both in terms of usage and colour correction , sometimes it really hits the spot though!

May 01, 2013 at 08:45 AM
danb121
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · ND Filter recommendation please

I have a LCW ND500, B+W 110 and a LEE Big Stopper and my fave is the LEE although this is more to do with the filter holder system as it just makes it easier to recompose a shot.
The B+W works really well if you're converting to B&W... it really has a nasty colour cast which I struggle to correct, the LEE has a cold colour cast but I find it is a lot easier to correct.
If you want a cheap screw on ND Filter I would look at the LightCraftWorkShop LCWND500, as I said I had one and I liked it however I dropped it on some sand on an extremely cold morning and it got scratched; I would have got another one but I had vouchers for Amazon to use...

May 01, 2013 at 09:18 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · ND Filter recommendation please

To make waves smooth at the beach, you will need a very dark (10 stop = 3.0 = 1000x) ND in the day time. At or after sunset you can probably use a lesser one like a 6 stop or a 3 stop. In both cases you will tend to be at ISO 100 and f/16 and set your shutter speed accordingly.

In one filter size I have 2, 3, 6, and 10 stops. In another I have 2, and 10 stops. In a third I have 3 stops.

If you are going to get one ND filter (perhaps for each filter size), get a 3 stop = 0.9 = 8x. It is the most versatile.

You can add a circular polarizing filter to it for another stop and a half, or use a CP for a 1 1/2 stop ND equivalent. CP is not quite equivalent because it will block reflections on water and darken sky depending on orientation.

B+W is generally accepted as the best for dense NDs. I would look into Marumi these days for the lighter ones as they seem to be a good value player getting stronger each year.

May 01, 2013 at 04:28 PM
peterbosox
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · ND Filter recommendation please

Thank you all for your replys. This was very informative.

May 01, 2013 at 06:04 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password