Archive 2013 · the leaf shutter advantage: flashing with the Fuji X100s

mike kobal
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · the leaf shutter advantage: flashing with the Fuji X100s

Hi guys,
I hope some of you will find this useful
http://www.mikekobal.com/blog/?p=7968

I love shooting with flash and leaf shutters, HHS with plane focal shutter works well these days, however, when compared to leaf shutter sync, just isn't as evenly lit and the chance that things go wrong more often are higher.

Apr 30, 2013 at 01:11 PM
aleksanderpolo
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · the leaf shutter advantage: flashing with the Fuji X100s

Mike, would you be trying the Nikon A and the GR too? Both of them use leaf shutter and have high sync speed as well.

Apr 30, 2013 at 01:24 PM
mike kobal
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · the leaf shutter advantage: flashing with the Fuji X100s

definitely, I am waiting for the GR, high hopes for that one, high hopes...
here is the comparison between the A and X100s
http://www.mikekobal.com/blog/?p=7637

Apr 30, 2013 at 01:27 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · the leaf shutter advantage: flashing with the Fuji X100s

If you want real highspeed sync ;-), look for one of the various early DSLR's with hybrid shutters (the mechanical portion never exceeds physical flash sync speed, with the higher shutter speeds acheived electronically on the CCD sensor). IIRC the original 1D had one and the Nikon D40, D50 and D70 did. They can provide hardware sync at 1/4000 and higher (1/12000 for the Canon, 1/8000 for the D70). Biggest problem becomes getting a short enough duration on the flash burn, most Speedlights have a ~0.5-1ms burn at full power, far too long for these cameras with shutter durations of 0.25ms or faster.

Note that flash duration becomes a serious issue at high sync speeds, which is why HSS is actually a better solution in most cases. The Nikons with high sync speeds were all software limited to 1/500 with TTL flash to allow a full-power burn to meter correctly.

Where leaf shutters come into their own (as do hybrid shutters) is when shooting low/mid-powered flash burns outdoors. Flash power is modulated via burn duration rather than intensity, so a mid-power firing happens quick enough for your leaf or hybrid shutter rather than the shutter cutting off the end of the burn.

Apr 30, 2013 at 09:19 PM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · the leaf shutter advantage: flashing with the Fuji X100s

What about first curtain shutter when using LV on a canon for example? Does it work for hi-speed sync?

May 01, 2013 at 11:05 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · the leaf shutter advantage: flashing with the Fuji X100s

So what's your conclusion Mike? I've love to hear a little more about it HERE, in the thread.

May 01, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · the leaf shutter advantage: flashing with the Fuji X100s

mawz wrote:
If you want real highspeed sync ;-), look for one of the various early DSLR's with hybrid shutters (the mechanical portion never exceeds physical flash sync speed, with the higher shutter speeds acheived electronically on the CCD sensor). IIRC the original 1D had one and the Nikon D40, D50 and D70 did. They can provide hardware sync at 1/4000 and higher (1/12000 for the Canon, 1/8000 for the D70). Biggest problem becomes getting a short enough duration on the flash burn, most Speedlights have a ~0.5-1ms burn at full power, far too long for these cameras with shutter durations of
...Show more

It's a good point about flash duration. There are a number of options though, some not so expensive.

http://fstoppers.com/which-strobe-has-the-shortest-flash-duration-profoto-broncolor-or-einstein

I would go with this Profoto if money were no object. 1/25,000 sec flash duration...Ya Baby!
http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2012/08/new-gear-profoto-pro-b4-1000-air-has-125000th-second-flash-duration

The great thing about being able to shoot at very high shutter speeds is, of course, one does not often require a lot of flash power (and thus will be getting faster flash durations when using less power).

May 01, 2013 at 01:13 PM
J_Andrew
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · the leaf shutter advantage: flashing with the Fuji X100s

Thanks for sharing. I knew this was possible with the X100S, but this gives me some specifics to start playing.

May 01, 2013 at 03:28 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.