Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              34      
       36       37       end

Archive 2013 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

serhan_
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.35 #1 · p.35 #1 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

Best review I saw Fuji vs Zeiss Touit:
Zeiss Touit vs. Fujinon XF

Roger posted his 32 vs 35mm comparison. These two comparisons confirm that the other reviews with Fuji more center sharp wide open vs Sony even sharpness:
Sony E 35mm f/1.8 OSS Lens Review @ ephotozine
Fujinon XF 35mm f/1.4 R (Fujifilm) - Review / Test Report @ photozone

you2 wrote:
I see that most of the images are with the Nex but has anyone compared the 35f1.8 with the fuji 35f1.4 both with regards to handling and image quality ?

Jun 20, 2013 at 08:45 AM
you2
• • •
p.35 #2 · p.35 #2 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

Thank you i saw a couple of comparison on the web but nothing as detailed as the link you provided.

serhan_ wrote:
Best review I saw Fuji vs Zeiss Touit:
Zeiss Touit vs. Fujinon XF

Roger posted his 32 vs 35mm comparison. These two comparisons confirm that the other reviews with Fuji more center sharp wide open vs Sony even sharpness:
Sony E 35mm f/1.8 OSS Lens Review @ ephotozine
Fujinon XF 35mm f/1.4 R (Fujifilm) - Review / Test Report @ photozone

Jun 20, 2013 at 10:17 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.35 #3 · p.35 #3 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

ytwong wrote:
12mm is too wide for me... I would be more interested in a 14/16mm. I already have the Sony ZA 24 1.8 and the Sony 35 1.8 OSS (which is not bad) so likely I am not getting any of the Touit..
If i really want a faster 35mm ish lens I 'd probably get a voigtlander 35 1.2.

I think you'll be waiting a while for a 2mm difference.

Jun 21, 2013 at 08:08 AM
zephoto
• •
p.35 #4 · p.35 #4 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

Some general notes for my NEX-6/32Touit combo:

1: Updated the firmware from 1.00 to 1.01 and now my movie mode works. Before the update it quite literally just gave me errors and wouldn't work, so that's nice.
2: The lens still auto-focuses whenever it feels like, even when I am in the menus. *facepalm* My battery and I can't wait for an update.
3: I got in two Wasabi batteries + an AC charger and it charges very quick! $27 well spent until the firmware fix.
4: I am loving the low light, high ISO performance of this little camera. I truly am blown away how there is barely any noise @ ISO6400 even, at least not enough that bothers me with a little Lightroom correction and sharpness is still retained.
5: I've added many more pictures up on my gallery: http://clients.zacharyemerick.biz/Electronics/Cameras/NEX-6/
6: I am going to Formula D in New Jersey tomorrow to flex this combo a bit and stress my A77/70200 with some drifting action.

Enjoy your weekend!

Jun 21, 2013 at 04:50 PM
magiclight
• •
p.35 #5 · p.35 #5 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

Both the 35f1.8 and fuji 35f1.4 look good in the review.The Fuji has better bokeh and the Zeiss a bit more punch.

Not sure if I could justify the Zeiss as the Fuji is very good and f1.4.

Jun 21, 2013 at 06:58 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.35 #6 · p.35 #6 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

Everything I've seen shows the touit blowing away the Sony 35mm OSS at the wider apertures. However I can hand-hold my Sony @ 1/4 to 1/8

Jun 21, 2013 at 07:22 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.35 #7 · p.35 #7 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

magiclight wrote:
Both the 35f1.8 and fuji 35f1.4 look good in the review.The Fuji has better bokeh and the Zeiss a bit more punch.

Not sure if I could justify the Zeiss as the Fuji is very good and f1.4.

to be honest I wouldnt get the zeiss over the fujis even if the prices were the other way round.
just cant find a reason to, and it has to be a serious one to overlook the difference is size, the MF ring on the 14 and the extra half stop on the 35

Jun 21, 2013 at 07:56 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.35 #8 · p.35 #8 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

snapsy wrote:
Everything I've seen shows the touit blowing away the Sony 35mm OSS at the wider apertures. However I can hand-hold my Sony @ 1/4 to 1/8

Yep, provided the subject stays very very still.

The 35/1.8 oss and the Touit 32 are very different lenses. The Sony 35 has a very pleasant rendering and is really great for people, but does not have a lot of "bite" in landscape type shots at infinity. I took a bunch of photos out of my friends' 22 floor Russian Hill apartment window (window open, not through glass) on a very bright sunny late afternoon and decided the 35/1.8 is not a great lens for those kind of shots. I also proved to myself once again that adding contrast in PP is not the same as working with a lens that inherently has good micro-contrast. TheTouit, with its more classic Zeiss rendering should excel in those conditions and from Lloyd's test shots it looks like that's the case. I'll be testing myself as soon as I get a chance.

Jun 21, 2013 at 11:02 PM
zephoto
• •
p.35 #9 · p.35 #9 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

Took the setup to Formula Drift in NJ... here's a shot for bokeh:

http://clients.zacharyemerick.biz/Cars/Motorsport/Formula-D-NJ-2013/i-wM62SNP/0/X2/004-X2.jpg

A shot into the sun:

http://clients.zacharyemerick.biz/Cars/Motorsport/Formula-D-NJ-2013/i-P47QXTT/0/X2/009-X2.jpg

Both sun + bokeh:

http://clients.zacharyemerick.biz/Cars/Motorsport/Formula-D-NJ-2013/i-nFgHW2D/0/X2/010-X2.jpg

Jun 23, 2013 at 10:46 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.35 #10 · p.35 #10 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

Jeff Kott wrote:
Yep, provided the subject stays very very still.

The 35/1.8 oss and the Touit 32 are very different lenses. The Sony 35 has a very pleasant rendering and is really great for people, but does not have a lot of "bite" in landscape type shots at infinity. I took a bunch of photos out of my friends' 22 floor Russian Hill apartment window (window open, not through glass) on a very bright sunny late afternoon and decided the 35/1.8 is not a great lens for those kind of shots. I also proved to myself once again that adding contrast
...Show more

I remember watching a 4th of July fireworks display from a roof in Russian Hill. I could see the streamers but then they would disappear into the fog

I haven't tried mine for landscapes yet but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not the best lens for that role. I bought the Sony as my nighttime and "indoor" lens, for static subjects.

Jun 23, 2013 at 11:35 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.35 #11 · p.35 #11 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

zephoto wrote:
Took the setup to Formula Drift in NJ... here's a shot for bokeh:

aarrggghhh! my eyes!

otherwise it looks very good.

Jun 23, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.35 #12 · p.35 #12 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

sebboh wrote:
aarrggghhh! my eyes!

That's indeed some nasty bokeh (for my taste).

Jun 25, 2013 at 02:52 AM
rsrsrs
• • •
p.35 #13 · p.35 #13 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

does the touit 32mm have 3D POP (or whatever u call it)?
pls post an sample.
r

Jun 25, 2013 at 04:33 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.35 #14 · p.35 #14 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

That is it! I have my Touit 12mm. I cannot yet tell you too much about it, because I haven't used a AF lens in years, and I have less than 1% of my shots with something that wide (goes back to my Canon 10-22 on my 40D).
But early findings are that it definitely is a very good lens indeed. It seems seriously sharp, though I need to get better at putting the AF point where I want to judge corner sharpness. Colours seem fine, as does contrast. Flare seems exceptionnally well controlled, which matters with something that wide. General rendering includes very good spatial clues, maybe even outstanding. Bokeh looks OK though not state-of-the-art, hardly surprising for an UWA. I have a question regarding detail. It is almost like the sharpness is at the expense of detail, like on the C/Y 35-70 and the Z* 35 f:2.0. Though this could be a result of the very short FL. Drawing style is very pleasing indeed. Clouds look positively appetizing! No obvious trace of colour shift in the few minutes I used it
Enough idle talk. 3 quick-and-dirty pics, it being understood that I need more than a few minutes to get used to a new lens this far from my usual tools. But I confidently expect many keepers, even great ones from this baby!

Jun 25, 2013 at 04:19 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.35 #15 · p.35 #15 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

philber wrote:
That is it! I have my Touit 12mm.

Congratulations Phillipe! Use it well and I'm confident we'll see many great pix from you with this lens.

One comment about using an AF lens on the Nex 7 - I don't trust the AF. Sure, it's ok for moving subjects and quick people pix and usually works out, but critical focus isn't always where I want it. I check focus with magnified view whenever I'm shooting a stationary subject and whenever I can with people.

I think this has been discussed before, so excuse me for the repetition. When I use an AF lens on the Nex 7, I set the focus mode to MF, set the AF/MF button to AF/MF select and Hold (not toggle). These are three separate settings which is a PIA when I switch from an AF lens to an MF lens and is why I wish the NEX had custom shooting banks like my Nikon SLRs so I could switch my MF to AF lens shooting settings with one setting change instead of three.

Anyway, with the camera set up like this, AF is engaged when and as long as you hold the AF/MF button and reverts to MF when you stop holding it down. So when I have time I usually press for AF to get the focus range in the ballpark, stop pressing which puts me in MF mode and a twist of the focus ring on the lens gives magnified view and pushing the AF/MF button while in magnified view toggles between the two magnification levels. When I'm convinced focus is perfect, a half press of the shutter button gets out of magnified mode so I can recheck composition before taking the shot.

Sorry to be so long winded, but this is the best way that I've found to assure critical focus with an AF lens on the NEX. Lloyd has posted about this method after I emailed and explained it to him, but in all fairness I think I picked it up somewhere else on the web, but can't remember where.

Edited on Jun 25, 2013 at 08:31 PM · View previous versions

Jun 25, 2013 at 05:45 PM
ebookman
• • •
p.35 #16 · p.35 #16 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

philber wrote:
That is it! I have my Touit 12mm.

You are off to an excellent start! I too am looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Jun 25, 2013 at 06:16 PM
morpheus2891
• • •
p.35 #17 · p.35 #17 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

Congrats Phillipe... looking great! I just got the 32/1.8 late last night. Only had time for a quick snap w/o on the NEX-6... I think I'm going to enjoy this lens

Jun 26, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.35 #18 · p.35 #18 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

Congrats Philippe and Morpheus. Nice looking rendering. Is the AF annoying (constantly refocusing)?

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:40 AM
peterv

p.35 #19 · p.35 #19 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

Don't know if this was posted here earlier:

http://briansmith.com/field-test-zeiss-touit-lenses-sony-nex/?fb_source=pubv1

Sony Artisan Brian Smith's Touit field report

Jun 26, 2013 at 01:06 PM
morpheus2891
• • •
p.35 #20 · p.35 #20 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

It focuses once and keeps the same focus point until I press the shutter button again. This is in AF-S mode on a NEX-6 w/ v1.00 firmware. Haven't had problems with it but it's admittedly seen limited use (got it last night).

Jun 26, 2013 at 01:12 PM
       36       37       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

36       37       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.