Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              36       37       end

Archive 2013 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

DtEW

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

zhangyue wrote:
Could be just because I am an un-native English speaker. I couldn't help thinking "toilet".
Does anybody know how to pronounce it?

It would be like the first part of the word "tuition". And as CZ said, it sounds a bit like "do it".

Apr 30, 2013 at 06:42 PM
aleksanderpolo
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

O, floating element, if that means internal focus that could mean faster AF speed than the Fuji's. Kinda like the Panny 25/1.4 vs 20/1.7 difference.

Apr 30, 2013 at 06:46 PM
alwang
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

Jeff Kott wrote:
I have the Sony 35/1.8. It's a nice lens, with pleasant rendering. I would say it's good enough for many uses, but is not really in the same league as my Pentax 31/1.8 limited or ZM 35/2.8.

I haven't used the ZM 35/2.8, but I'm very surprised that with its symmetrical design, it wouldn't have worse corners (not to mention color shift) at all apertures compared to the Sony 35/1.8.

Apr 30, 2013 at 06:53 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

aleksanderpolo wrote:
O, floating element, if that means internal focus that could mean faster AF speed than the Fuji's. Kinda like the Panny 25/1.4 vs 20/1.7 difference.

"Floating elements" doesn't necessarily mean internal focus . . .

Apr 30, 2013 at 06:54 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

uscmatt99 wrote:
I'm okay with lenses being a bit larger if there is an attempt to optically address issues like distortion, CA, as well as edge/corner performance with short-flange mounts. I had thought that mFT lens designs were made with the assumption that CA and distortion correction would be done on the capture side of things. In conjunction with a smaller projected image circle, their lenses should be a lot smaller. Not sure about the Fuji lenses, are they reliant on software fixes as well?

A lot of the m4/3 lenses are software corrected. In some cases, it has a detrimental effect, in other cases, the base optical design is so good with regards to resolution that even after auto correction, there's tons of detail.

Fuji has some correction capability I believe, but the lenses overall are not corrected in software very much in many cases. What's crazy is the Fuji 14mm, which has essentially zero distortion, and that's native to the lens...no distortion correction at all. Photozone measure the distortion at 0.4% barrel, and I've seen other reviews who measured it even less (under 0.2% barrel). I've never seen an ultra-wide with distortion that low. I think it's closest competitor in that area are the new Canon tilt shift wide angles, which are still around 1.0% barrel distortion.

Apr 30, 2013 at 06:55 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

alwang wrote:
I haven't used the ZM 35/2.8, but I'm very surprised that with its symmetrical design, it wouldn't have worse corners (not to mention color shift) at all apertures compared to the Sony 35/1.8.

My ZM 35/2.8 is sharp edge to edge with no color shift on my Nex 5n. Edges are not so good on my Nex 7 and there is significant color shift.

Apr 30, 2013 at 06:56 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

Due to Zeiss design relaxation style, their lenses, especially wides, are much longer than the competition. I mean look at the 21/2.8, it is longer than a telephoto.

Apr 30, 2013 at 07:02 PM
uscmatt99
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

Jman13 wrote:
A lot of the m4/3 lenses are software corrected. In some cases, it has a detrimental effect, in other cases, the base optical design is so good with regards to resolution that even after auto correction, there's tons of detail.

Fuji has some correction capability I believe, but the lenses overall are not corrected in software very much in many cases. What's crazy is the Fuji 14mm, which has essentially zero distortion, and that's native to the lens...no distortion correction at all. Photozone measure the distortion at 0.4% barrel, and I've seen other reviews who measured it even less (under 0.2%
...Show more

That's impressive. I've stopped using my CV15 on my NEX-6, I just leave it on the GXR now (where it's excellent except for one slightly soft corner) and carry both bodies. I'm guessing it's performance on the NEX is in part related to some lens sample variation, as well as the adapter (though I tested all of my lenses on 4 different adapters before settling on the one I got). But in general I think that using wide-angle designs that tend towards the retrofocal rather than symmetrical is the best way to go if Zeiss wants to sell these lenses across multiple platforms. My CV 35/1.2 is really amazing on my NEX-6. It's better stopped down than my ZM35/2.8 at the edges, and I suspect it's in part related to design differences and interaction with the sensor.

The one thing that will keep me using the MF lenses on these NEX bodies is the bizarre implementations of auto-ISO and the inability to swap aperture and SS control in manual mode on the NEX bodies. At least I can work around it with an aperture ring and manual focus. It's kept me from buying an AF NEX lens thus far. But if the Touit's are awesome, that could change

Apr 30, 2013 at 07:13 PM
Lee Saxon
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

For its meaning, Touit was a pretty good choice, but it's just SUCH a dumb-sounding word. I thought letting the engineering department make decisions the marketing department should be in charge of was a Leica thing.

Also, bummed that the E version doesn't have aperture control. Dealbreaker for me. I don't buy lenses that only last until a fickle manufacturer changes an electronic protocol. (I also don't buy games you have to be connected to a could-be-shut-down-any-day authentication server to play, but YMMV)

Apr 30, 2013 at 07:20 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

Gosh, what a terrible name. Parrot's and Moons...Hasselblad and Zeiss reunited at last, at least in name, by the worst marketing ever. Zeiss Touit lenses on Hasselblad Lunar cameras. That's one smelly combination.

Apr 30, 2013 at 07:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

Touit, touit, twiddle, twiddle
there's only one lens with a Zeiss in the middle...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T065OPZwn4g

ZC would have done it for me. Looks good, sad that there is nothing for MFT users.

Edited on Apr 30, 2013 at 07:56 PM · View previous versions

Apr 30, 2013 at 07:53 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

zhangyue wrote:
Could be just because I am an un-native English speaker. I couldn't help thinking "toilet".

to-it.

Apr 30, 2013 at 07:54 PM
wolfloid
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

Is that with/without any trade-off/compromise @ vignetting?

Well that is quite a different matter. The question was whether changing micro lenses could allow for smaller lens designs, and it can.

As for IQ I don't think there are many people complaining about the performance of the M lenses. I've also not noticed complaints about the lenses for m43. As for APS, the two closest Fuji lenses to these two Zeiss introductions, the 35/1.4 and the 14/2.8 have both proved to be superb in tests.

As others have said, it remains to be seen as to how good the Zeiss lenses will be, and no doubt they will be good. But will they be good enough to overcome the disadvantage of their bulk, and further, was the bulk really necessary for the mirrorless concept, where the major advantage it has is its small size? Obviously, it is a design choice by Zeiss, perhaps a choice for uncompromising quality. For me, however, once bulk grows, I see very little point to the APS mirrorless system and would prefer to stay with the many advantages of a ff DSLR. Others will obviously make their own choices.

Apr 30, 2013 at 08:07 PM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

I don't think they're that large.

Apr 30, 2013 at 08:10 PM
aleksanderpolo
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

Length wise the 32/1.8 is 76mm, vs 18-55's 70mm. Might as well use a DSLR:

http://j.mp/ZkeOqw

Apr 30, 2013 at 08:26 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

DtEW wrote:
It would be like the first part of the word "tuition". And as CZ said, it sounds a bit like "do it".

How about "intuition"?

Apr 30, 2013 at 08:28 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

Well, this complicates things for me... (I haven't yet bought the XF 14/2.8)

Will the Touit 12/2.8 have sufficiently excellent IQ to justify packing around such a large lens, for a 'small' system camera? I guess I'll have to wait long enough to find out. Sigh.

Edited on Apr 30, 2013 at 08:37 PM · View previous versions

Apr 30, 2013 at 08:29 PM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

TOOT comes to mind; at least the fun made here is to the name..unlike the hasselblad Lunar (sorry to bring THAT back to light )

Apr 30, 2013 at 08:37 PM
wolfloid
• •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

@ rattymouse

I see that you've just added a lot to your last post.

Leica had to find a way to have the M8 and even more so the M9 cope with their legacy symmetrical lenses, since their rear elements would be so close to the sensor. At first they said this was impossible, but then , as we know, they came up with a microsensor array which was steeply angled, thus dealing effectively with what would otherwise have been severe corner problems and light fall off.

Of course, it is not perfect, and it must be cheaper to design new cameras with more retrofocus lenses in mind, but nevertheless, it has been done and the real benefit was that very small lenses can be designed and used on an M camera (or the Ricoh GXR with a similar microsensor array). So what was a necessity has also become a great advantage - just compare the size of the M 35mm f1.4 with the ZE 35mm f1.4, or even the superior M 35mm f1.4 Asph. The Leica lenses are tiny and often better.

As far as I am aware, light fall off and vignetting is well under control on the M cameras (with some software input if wanted) and is not really a problem in use.

Apr 30, 2013 at 08:39 PM
grahamb3
• •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

zhangyue wrote:

I'll bet you're also not a native Latin speaker.

Wiki

Apr 30, 2013 at 09:16 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password