Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              18      
       20              36       37       end

Archive 2013 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

dennishh
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.19 #1 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

Good old jpg's anything can happen! The Zeiss is not that uniform, check your monitor.

May 11, 2013 at 08:45 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.19 #2 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

dennishh wrote:
I did try manual focusing when I encountered the focus hunting. The focusing is smooth and accurate. Seems like a normal focusing lens and not fly by wire.

excellent, thanks!

May 11, 2013 at 09:06 PM
sflxn
• • •
p.19 #3 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

dennishh wrote:
I agree totally with Edwards assessment and would be the first in line for the Touit 35 1.8 if it weren't for the hunting for focus issue with the NEX-7. I'm hoping that Zeiss or Sony will correct this in the next couple of weeks before the lens shows up at the dealer.

Are you talking about the constant refocusing? If so, there is a work around for that. Lloyd has some comments on his blog on how to do that.

May 11, 2013 at 09:36 PM
dennishh
• • •
p.19 #4 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

Thanks for letting me know about this but I am not a member. I have contacted Zeiss about this so lets see if they get back to me. I have no intentions of paying $900 and having to do a work around.

May 11, 2013 at 09:51 PM
sflxn
• • •
p.19 #5 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

Dennishh, it's on his blog page, not in his review. First off, I'm not sure what this problem is. The problem that Lloyd found annoying (which I found last year and came to the same fix) is the lens constant hunting even when he isn't doing anything with the camera. I'm not sure if this is the same problem that you are seeing, but if it is, there is a work around. This specific problem is not a characteristic of the Zeiss but of the NEX. It's by design... not sure why.

May 11, 2013 at 10:16 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.19 #6 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

I guess clients don't notice but that glossy 10-18mm image reminded me of something Roy Orbison wrote: 'A candy-coloured clown they call a sandman, tiptoes to my room every night..'

Blue road surface, weak red hydrant, astroturf grass, plastic building colours, and flat as a tack to boot. The Zeiss image is rich, nuanced, deep and stylish. Real estate brochure or a walk in the real world? It's a harsh test too, strong glary light.

Mescalamba, I agree.

May 11, 2013 at 10:23 PM
grahamb3
• •
p.19 #7 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

sflxn wroteThis specific problem is not a characteristic of the Zeiss but of the NEX. It's by design... not sure why.
I don't have a NEX, but I do have multiple alpha mount bodies. What you're describing sounds like it may be the "eye start" feature.

The autofocus activates when the camera is raised to the eye, to give the camera a head start on focus. The sensor initiates focus when it senses anything, which may be a users chest as they carry the camera around their neck.

It's a menu item. I have it shut off on my cameras.

Graham

May 11, 2013 at 10:31 PM
dennishh
• • •
p.19 #8 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

philip_pj wrote:
I guess clients don't notice but that glossy 10-18mm image reminded me of something Roy Orbison wrote: 'A candy-coloured clown they call a sandman, tiptoes to my room every night..'

Blue road surface, weak red hydrant, astroturf grass, plastic building colours, and flat as a tack to boot. The Zeiss image is rich, nuanced, deep and stylish. Real estate brochure or a walk in the real world? It's a harsh test too, strong glary light.

Mescalamba, I agree.

I fixed it for you! Post your examples please. Maybe I should have asked the Zeiss rep to let me wait till the light was OK while holding on to his only two samples of the lens. There were only 50 or 60 people at his booth, but maybe if I told him Philip needed these color corrected with the best light he would have understood.

May 11, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Highfive

p.19 #9 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

Test of the two new lenses. Its in Spanish so use google translate or something.
Quite impressing.

http://www.dslrmagazine.com/pruebas/pruebas-tecnicas/objetivos-carl-zeiss-touit-para-csc-prueba-tecnica.html

May 12, 2013 at 10:49 AM
dennishh
• • •
p.19 #10 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

sflxn wrote:
Dennishh, it's on his blog page, not in his review. First off, I'm not sure what this problem is. The problem that Lloyd found annoying (which I found last year and came to the same fix) is the lens constant hunting even when he isn't doing anything with the camera. I'm not sure if this is the same problem that you are seeing, but if it is, there is a work around. This specific problem is not a characteristic of the Zeiss but of the NEX. It's by design... not sure why.

Fantastic! Thank you for your persistence this was it. Now the NEX is exactly set up like my D800 with the rear AF button. I will let the Zeiss rep and blog know. Digitalloyd should cut his prices and sell it as apps on android and ios, he would make alot more money. This would have made a huge difference in my testing.

May 12, 2013 at 01:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

serhan_
• •
p.19 #11 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

12mm performance looks impressive on Fuji per dslrmagazine test:

To the doubters, the graphic resolution in line pairs / mm can not be stronger for 12mm. The performance, both in the center and in the corners is spectacular and the full aperture f / 2.8, both in value and in balance for both valuation areas. It produces even a slight improvement to f / 4, while for f / 5,6 f / 8 decays very slightly, but remained at very high levels. As expected given the short focal appear to f/11 diffraction effects are increased to f/16 and / 22.

More tests are coming, this one is with 5n:

Hands-on review of the Carl Zeiss 2.8/12mm Touit

Edited on May 12, 2013 at 04:39 PM · View previous versions

May 12, 2013 at 03:05 PM
dennishh
• • •
p.19 #12 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

Even though this can be a hazardous undertaking I have finally prepared the Zeiss Touit 32mm test I did this weekend at a local dealer. I had no time to use a gray card or to pick my lighting just shoot. These are mounted on a tripod and auto focus was used. I shot this environment with a Zeiss 32mm F1.8 and a Sigma 30mm 2.8, I'm just posting the F8 results. The Zeiss performed extremely well at the 1.8 aperture as you can see from the close-ups. The NEX focus hunting was a problem so I intend to test the the one I bought that will be in in two weeks before I use it with this focus hunting disabled.

Zeiss Touit 32mm @ f8 no sharpening just gray balanced

Sigma 30mm @ f8 no sharpening just gray balanced

May 12, 2013 at 03:09 PM
dennishh
• • •
p.19 #13 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

Here's a Corrected side-by-side view of both lenses. I just applied sharpening in capture one. Overall the snap, color clarity, focusing speed, sharpness and build quality of the Zeiss make it a highly desirable lens. I missed the exposure balancing between images a little, I will fix this later.

Zeiss and Sigma side by side sharpening applied

May 12, 2013 at 03:20 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.19 #14 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

Highfive wrote:
Test of the two new lenses. Its in Spanish so use google translate or something.
Quite impressing.

http://www.dslrmagazine.com/pruebas/pruebas-tecnicas/objetivos-carl-zeiss-touit-para-csc-prueba-tecnica.html

Fantastic! I guess my next camera will be a Fuji X-E1 with Touit!!!!!

May 12, 2013 at 04:27 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.19 #15 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

dennishh wrote:
Here's a Corrected side-by-side view of both lenses. I just applied sharpening in capture one. Overall the snap, color clarity, focusing speed, sharpness and build quality of the Zeiss make it a highly desirable lens. I missed the exposure balancing between images a little, I will fix this later.

The sign almost pops out of the screen. Nice Zeissy 3D.

May 12, 2013 at 04:28 PM
anscochrome
• •
p.19 #16 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

The test shown above has sold me on the Sigma lens-thanks for saving me $800.00 Yes-I can see a color difference, but since I process all my stuff with a half dozen different Kodachrome presets in Lightroom, the differences would be moot once I finished with the files.

May 12, 2013 at 08:57 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.19 #17 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

The Touit lenses are as predicted, when was the last dud Zeiss lens? Interesting the 12mm MTF dies off fast from f8, and yes similar to the RX1 in that wide aperture performance emphasis. The f2.8 bars reflect the 15mm f2.8 ZE/F, it is just superb wide open. Note the high borders/corners. Th 32mm looks almost macro in its profile, great centre wide open also.

May 12, 2013 at 10:07 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.19 #18 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

dennishh, you can't 'fix' colour in output.
Part of the deal is the fine balance between microcontrast and 'microcolour', you can look this up if interested, or I can provide copious references, as the issue has a history decades long and has been discussed at great length.

You can, kind of anyway, match a given lens's output to that of one with better colour performance, but (i) you still need a reference; and (ii) why make all that extra effort if either (a) you don't see and your clients don't need it, or (b) you don't care for it as much as other characteristics, like crack sharpness. A bit like an art forgery when you think about it...

And it's not for a lot of folks, who just want a good base to do things like use 'Kodachrome presets' with, or produce B&W, etc.

It's great you did this for us as this is the essence of the alt forum - the imaging - but I must say the same differences are there with the Sigma image above. Sometimes it's subtle like a light breeze, other times not so much. Thanks for the work and comments.

May 12, 2013 at 10:09 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.19 #19 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

I would add that f/8 is the great equaliser. If all you intend to do is shoot at f/8, there are many good lenses out there. The truly great lenses will bring great performance to larger openings.

May 12, 2013 at 10:12 PM
dennishh
• • •
p.19 #20 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)

"you can't 'fix' colour in output"
I'm a little perplexed by this statement! All that was fixed in these photos that I presented was white balance and nothing else. Gray balance has everything to do with micro-contrast as far as I can see. Without the proper rendition of the actual color of the scene by white balance, there is essentially no reference to what the lenses actually produced. I really don't know what's been discussed here about how images should be presented but would be interested in finding out what that is. In this case the camera sensor recorded what was in front of it, a multicolored environment that had basically no gray reference for color or exposure. As you know the sensor will record the color based on the RGB color space that is selected, in this case adobe 98. How each color was recorded is in most cases incorrect no matter what you do at the time of capture as far as I know. If a gray card was used at least one gray tone could be perfectly accurate. Isn't it true that the lens transmits light and focuses it on the plane, the way that it transmits that light is determined by the quality of the lens. In this case there was one main light source the sun, some scattered clouds that were changing the color, and a large building in back of me bouncing some light back into the shadows and the environment. This was the furthest thing from a controlled environment there is. In order to be a purist about this and visually judge micro-contrast and micro color the light source and environment has to be totally controlled. This would be something that digital Lloyd's tests would show better than this. What I was trying to do essentially was show lens characteristics only, like sharpness and distortion. If it was possible to actually have the lens for a longer period of time in a controlled lighting environment I think one could make judgments about micro-contrast and micro color. The only saving grace that I can see about this environment was the one that Edward pointed out and that was the sign. I can tell you one thing and that is just by looking through the viewfinder I could see the difference in sharpness and contrast of the Zeiss lens compared to the Sigma. The difficult part here was that of justifying the $700 difference between the two lenses as you can see from the examples. All of my clients demand extremely accurate and perfectly rendered digital images, but still they are not under any illusion that in the final output will be correct. You mentioned crack sharpness which is a term I haven't heard before but is an interesting one from my perspective seeing that almost every photographer believes they have the sharpest output possible. What really matters in the final image is the perception and feeling that you initially were going after, sometimes that requires sharpness other times it does not. What I show here can only be used as a rough reference at best. If more is expected of me It will cost you. I look forward to seeing your images and how they reproduce color and lens characteristics so I can learn from them. I very much enjoy the exchange of ideas, but images are more educational than anything. I still remember vividly what micro contrast looked like on an 8X10 sheet of film shot on a $6000 Rodenstock APO lens and I very seldom see it on anything digital.

Edited on May 13, 2013 at 05:36 AM · View previous versions

May 13, 2013 at 01:12 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password