Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3              36       37       end
  

Touit touit touit.... touit :)
  
 
edwardkaraa
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)


http://lenses.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/carl-zeiss-camera-lenses/camera_lenses/touit/touit2812.html

They look good! I slightly prefer the X mount look. No MTF yet



Apr 30, 2013 at 03:12 PM
RustyBug
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)


XE1 just got more interesting.


Apr 30, 2013 at 03:26 PM
Jman13
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)


They're big! Very big for a mirrorless lens. The Fuji 14mm, while not huge by any means, is slightly larger than many other wide angle lenses for mirrorless (see the tiny Olympus 12/2 and 9-18 zoom). It's a good compromise size for a wider view with a smaller footprint, but it's not 'tiny.'

The Zeiss 12mm f/2.8 is quite a bit longer and much wider, though similar in weight. (both are light).

The 32/1.8 is the same diameter, but again, longer than the Fuji 35mm f/1.4, which is still 2/3 stop faster. The Zeiss is also heavier.

I'm sure they'll be good lenses, but why so big? (note that I've removed measurements in this edit, since their diagrams on the pages show different measurements than those listed in the brochure, so I don't know what the actual sizes are)

Also...what's with the 'touit' name? From everything we've seen, the 12/2.8 is a Distagon design and the 32/1.8 is a Planar design, so why give them new names? Zeiss has always used the standard names based on lens design, so why change if the design is the same, and make all 'mirrorless' lenses 'Touit' now? It does seem the pictures on the site show that "Distagon" and "Planar" are still on the lens ring, but they're also Touit lenses as well, which is just bizarre.



Apr 30, 2013 at 03:31 PM
AhamB
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)


Jman13 wrote:
Also...what's with the 'touit' name? From everything we've seen, the 12/2.8 is a Distagon design and the 32/1.8 is a Planar design, so why give them new names? Zeiss has always used the standard names based on lens design, so why change if the design is the same, and make all 'mirrorless' lenses 'Touit' now? It does seem the pictures on the site show that "Distagon" and "Planar" are still on the lens ring, but they're also Touit lenses as well, which is just bizarre.


The datasheets don't include MTF charts. That fact and the name suggests to me that Zeiss just doesn't want to present these lenses as serious photographic tools. Strange...



Apr 30, 2013 at 03:41 PM
RustyBug
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)


Jman13 wrote:
I'm sure they'll be good lenses, but why so big?


I'm guessing raypath angles ... to afford good control over both distortion and vignetting (and possibly color shift) as UWA gets exponentially more challenging the wider you go ... noting the shape variance @ rear element of the Zeiss 12 vs. the Fuji 14.

I suppose the same question could be asked about the Distagon 21/2.8, particularly compared with the likes of the Oly or Nikon counterparts in FF formats. I'd like to think that even if we don't always follow the "why so big" ... I doubt it isn't without rationale/reason.

Edited on Apr 30, 2013 at 04:10 PM · View previous versions



Apr 30, 2013 at 03:42 PM
naturephoto1
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)


AhamB wrote:
The datasheets don't include MTF charts. That fact and the name suggests to me that Zeiss just doesn't want to present these lenses as serious photographic tools. Strange...


That wasn't the impression that I got from the Zeiss reps at PhotoPlus in October. They were pushing that this and a 2nd lens was coming for both the Nex and the Fuji cameras. They seemed proud of what was coming and these were going to be excellent performers.

Rich



Apr 30, 2013 at 03:47 PM
goosemang
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)


yes, they probably withheld the mft charts because they don't want the lenses to be taken seriously. it's a conspiracy.


Apr 30, 2013 at 03:59 PM
Jman13
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)


The 32/1.8 is going to need to be absolutely spectacular to get business from Fuji buyers, since the 35/1.4 is already very good, faster and smaller. The 12mm could be awesome, and since its very wide, it will get buyers just on account of that. I will be very interested in how that performs, but they have stiff competition there with the Fuji 14mm, for those who are OK with 21mm equivalent vs 18mm, since the Fuji 14 is exceptional...very sharp and essentially zero distortion.

One thing's for sure: I'm excited to see Zeiss enter this market, and I hope these are strong lenses.



Apr 30, 2013 at 04:16 PM
corposant
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)


Jman13 wrote:
Also...what's with the 'touit' name? From everything we've seen, the 12/2.8 is a Distagon design and the 32/1.8 is a Planar design, so why give them new names? Zeiss has always used the standard names based on lens design, so why change if the design is the same, and make all 'mirrorless' lenses 'Touit' now? It does seem the pictures on the site show that "Distagon" and "Planar" are still on the lens ring, but they're also Touit lenses as well, which is just bizarre.


If you are curious about the name, it's product-related, not design-related:
http://blogs.zeiss.com/photo/en/?p=3518



Apr 30, 2013 at 04:21 PM
naturephoto1
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)


Jman13 wrote:
The 32/1.8 is going to need to be absolutely spectacular to get business from Fuji buyers, since the 35/1.4 is already very good, faster and smaller. The 12mm could be awesome, and since its very wide, it will get buyers just on account of that. I will be very interested in how that performs, but they have stiff competition there with the Fuji 14mm, for those who are OK with 21mm equivalent vs 18mm, since the Fuji 14 is exceptional...very sharp and essentially zero distortion.

One thing's for sure: I'm excited to see Zeiss enter this market, and I hope
...Show more

I will probably wait to see the 12mm lens at PhotoPlus in October. Hopefully Zeiss will let us mount the lens on our Fujifilm camera bodies. It is going to awfully wide though. I want to see how it can be controlled for taking images. I remember how hard it was for me to control lines with the Leica 19mm R lens that I had at one time.

Rich



Apr 30, 2013 at 04:21 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



RustyBug
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)


Yes, the diff @ 14 vs. 12 may make some diff @ AOV, but I'll be watching to see how the 12 fares for vignetting (rear element size/shape could make a diff here) compared to the 14 which is reported to have more than 2+ stops vignetting (raw) by Photozone, with the Fuji jpgs partially correcting it down to about 1 stop ... realizing that 12 vs. 14 is also quite a bit more ambitious.

http://www.photozone.de/fuji_x/807-fuji14f28?start=1

Edited on Apr 30, 2013 at 04:29 PM · View previous versions



Apr 30, 2013 at 04:23 PM
naturephoto1
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)


RustyBug wrote:
Yes, the diff @ 14 vs. 12 may make some diff @ AOV, but I'll be watching to see how the 12 fares for vignetting (size could make a diff here) compared to the 14 which is reported to have more than 2+ stops vignetting (raw) by Photozone.

http://www.photozone.de/fuji_x/807-fuji14f28?start=1


Rusty,

I haven't noticed anything like that kind of light loss on my 14mm f2.8 lens. In fact I have noticed very little light loss in RAW and it is sharp. I haven't checked how sharp out to the edges and the corners, but it looks sharp. But, it could be a sample to sample variation.

Rich



Apr 30, 2013 at 04:29 PM
Bijltje
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)


Looks great!
I think the name is there for the series. Like ZM or ZF.

Wonder what the prices will be. And if they will introduce a 24mm later on on their own, or that they keep that one for sony.

Btw, anyone heard anything about the fast ZM that would come?



Apr 30, 2013 at 04:29 PM
naturephoto1
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)


Bijltje wrote:
Looks great!
I think the name is there for the series. Like ZM or ZF.

Wonder what the prices will be. And if they will introduce a 24mm later on on their own, or that they keep that one for sony.

Btw, anyone heard anything about the fast ZM that would come?


I thought the Zeiss was quoting at PhotoPlus in October that the 2 lenses for both systems were supposed to have a street price of about $1000 US.

Rich



Apr 30, 2013 at 04:31 PM
RustyBug
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)


+1 @ sample variation potential ... although vignetting usually doesn't seem to deviate as much (my observation) from sample variation as other attributes from what I've noticed.

Also, are you talking about your camera corrected jpgs or raw images @ vignetting levels?

Edited on Apr 30, 2013 at 04:35 PM · View previous versions



Apr 30, 2013 at 04:33 PM
naturephoto1
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)


RustyBug wrote:
+1 @ sample variation potential, although vignetting usually doesn't seem to deviate as much (my observation).

Also, are you talking about camera corrected jpgs or raw?


I am talking about RAW files that I am viewing and then working in LR4.4.

Rich



Apr 30, 2013 at 04:35 PM
RustyBug
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)


Okay, thanks.


Apr 30, 2013 at 04:35 PM
naturephoto1
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)


RustyBug wrote:
Okay, thanks.


But, for what I have been using the lens for most of the time, I am stopping down to about f8 to f11 to hold DOF- mainly landscape. I haven't shot the lens that much WO or even close to it.

Rich



Apr 30, 2013 at 04:38 PM
ken.vs.ryu
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)


I'm gonna touit, the 12mm touit.


Apr 30, 2013 at 04:42 PM
wayne seltzer
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · Touit touit touit.... touit :)


Looks good, hope they are strong performers!
What are the prices?



Apr 30, 2013 at 04:52 PM
1
       2       3              36       37       end




FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3              36       37       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password