Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sunset in Eureka Valley

kurt765
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sunset in Eureka Valley

Ancient Playa at Sunset by Kurt Lawson, on Flickr

Edit: changed white balance

Thanks for looking!

-K

Edited on May 02, 2013 at 06:51 AM · View previous versions

Apr 30, 2013 at 02:27 PM
gordon l
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sunset in Eureka Valley

Lovely

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:08 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sunset in Eureka Valley

Hey Kurt,

That is a nice view of dunes there. I like the position of the sun in this. 2 thoughts. I think the sky and sun are slightly overexposed, perhaps pull back on them a bit? And also, the dunes are an odd color, was that your intent? It should be more brown, or perhaps a tinge of red/yellow from reflecting the color of the sun. But, I will come back and look again later, maybe the color tone of the dunes will grow on me?

Jim

Apr 30, 2013 at 06:15 PM
kurt765
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sunset in Eureka Valley

The dunes are indeed reading fairly bluegreen on my ipad as well. It's not anything I'm adding though, so I guess I need to adjust the white balance a bit and stop ignoring the calibration warning that it's been too long since my last calibration with my spyder4. The dunes are lit by the sky only, as direct sunlight is now blocked by the mountains to the west. The sun itself isn't visible as it is behind the mountains behind the dunes, it's just a diffuse glow of the clouds which looked like a colorful halo around the tallest dune in the picture.

Apr 30, 2013 at 06:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sunset in Eureka Valley

The coloring of this shot kind of grows on you, it's different. But yeah, I think it's the green toning in the sand that doesn't ring true. Since the dunes will reflect light, I could see them having a bit more of a blue tone rather than brown. For myself, I often on shots like these will process the shots with a WB for the ground layer and then one for the sky as the camera often picks up color tones in the ground that we don't see by our eye in person when shooting. And some aspects of a shot, especially like with the sky can be a very personal thing as to how it's adjusted, so I personally would have pulled it down a bit more, but you were there, and if the sky suits you... well it's your shot...

Jim

Apr 30, 2013 at 06:54 PM
kurt765
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sunset in Eureka Valley

So yeah... a white balance adjustment helped a lot. (I replaced the original on flickr).

May 02, 2013 at 06:52 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sunset in Eureka Valley

Hey Kurt,

Very nice, I like the change to the WB in it.

I didn't catch at first that this was out at Eureka Dunes, I haven't spent much time there, usually for dunes I shoot Mesquite Dunes. But I am thinking I need to change my pattern here and get over to Eureka the next few times in DV.

Jim

May 02, 2013 at 07:03 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password