Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Best Portable Landscape Camera?

AFC168
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best Portable Landscape Camera?

Hi all,

I have a Canon 5D III and while I love the camera, it can be a bit large to take sometimes. I was wondering what you all thought of as the best portable landscape camera that can be used when hiking or when playing golf or something like that. I'd love to be able to put the small camera in my pocket or golf bag and quickly take it out for a picture without interrupting my round too much. Also, I'd like to use it on tough hikes or any other situation when a small camera would be best.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Apr 30, 2013 at 06:11 AM
PeaktoPeek
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best Portable Landscape Camera?

I think it depends on if you're hiking to hike or hiking to shoot. Generally I hike to shoot, so I plan on bringing my primary camera. That said, I have managed to shed some of the weight by using the smallest FF camera I can. For golf and casual hiking, an iPhone or just about any P&S would be fine for me since I doubt I'd be making any prints. Just head over to your nearest best buy and try a few out, there are some that are amazingly tiny.
Paul

Apr 30, 2013 at 06:26 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best Portable Landscape Camera?

For really small camera, with RAW files and a zoom lens, Sony RX100 has to be the best choice. For a slightly larger body with a fixed lens, the Fujifilm X100 is very nice (X100s probably is, too). A Sigma Merril might also be a good choice, but I've never used one.

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Pierre45

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best Portable Landscape Camera?

I have to agree that the Rx100 is ideal for your needs. I have a D800 and an RX100 and I am amazed that 80 percent of my best shots have been taken with the little Sony -largely because I carry it as a pocket camera and it is there when the opportunities arise. The D800 has incomparable image quality but is better for static and planned work. The RX 100 seems to be there when a camera is needed. 20mp is also hard to argue with. B&W work is also a strong point. At only $A530 it is hard to pass by.

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:31 AM
AFC168
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best Portable Landscape Camera?

Thanks for the replies ... did anyone try a Canon G1X?

Jun 09, 2013 at 05:44 AM
philber
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best Portable Landscape Camera?

If you are willing to go one size larger than the RX100, in order to get better pictures yet, get a NEX with Sigma 19mm. Not very expensive, and superlative IQ. Still pocketable if you have large pockets.

Jun 09, 2013 at 05:47 AM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best Portable Landscape Camera?

Unless I'm fly fishing, I hike to shoot too. The m4/3 can be quite nice. The rx100 was not around when I got a Panasonic G3 and the 20mm pancake.

I like the Panny G3 (cheap!) and 20mm pancake for landscape if traveling light!

http://davidsphotography.zenfolio.com/img/s11/v32/p1779984343-5.jpg

Jun 09, 2013 at 01:30 PM
aubsxc
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best Portable Landscape Camera?

The 5D2 is my small, portable camera. Its a heck of a lot easier to carry around than my 4x5 rig with all the holders I want to carry. :-)

Jun 09, 2013 at 04:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best Portable Landscape Camera?

Panasonic GX1 and 14mm F/2.5 pancake make an able wee landscape cam. The GX1 is closing out for $250--probably for a WiFi/GPS upgrade--but has the same 16MP CMOS as the latest M4/3. My only complaint is it is so small I have difficulty holding on it it, so I added a RRS L Bracket for additional grip space and improved tripod use. Now it's as heavy as my Oly E-P3 and a lot easier to hang on to and hold steady.

Jun 09, 2013 at 07:22 PM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best Portable Landscape Camera?

D700 and RX100 here, my Sony gets most of the use because it's the one I'll grab the majority of the time and it takes amazing photos imo

Jun 09, 2013 at 07:26 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best Portable Landscape Camera?

What about the EOS-M? I know they just introduced the EF-M 11-22 lens and firmware update that will supposedly improve the AF. That's pretty portable with ASP-C quality. The EOS M with the 11-22, 22 f/2 and 18-55 is a pretty small kit.

To keep it simple and easy I agree that a RX100 is a good choice too. You may not get the IQ of the M, but talk about a sweet point and shoot. Fuji x100s would be super fun, but maybe not the most versatile since you're stuck at at one FL.

Jun 11, 2013 at 09:10 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best Portable Landscape Camera?

If you can live with only 35mm lens, RX1.

Otherwise expensive M-240 (but its quite heavy).

From those cheaper ones, NEX-7 is good, having all bells and whistles needed for landscape work.

Jun 11, 2013 at 09:26 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best Portable Landscape Camera?

My hands down choice for a true landscape camera are the Sigma DP Merrills.

The per pixel sharpness is unreal, as is the lens, DP2m in particular, just tack sharp edge to edge, no distortion or anything. One of the best lenses I've owned and paired perfectly to a very unique sensor.

Rivals anything up to my Nikon D800e in terms of resolution, and all from a compact little $800 camera.

Granted the AF is poor, the high ISO is awful, as is the battery life, but if you have good light, or a little tripod, and can shoot at base ISO, your not going to get better image quality with anything short of a medium format back or a D800e

At the prices they are going for these days they are just a steal as far as a great landscape camera goes, and that basically is the only thing they are good at, but oh so good at it!

Just download a few full size files from one and see for yourself, every last blade of grass, leaf etc all rendered perfectly. Things are unreal

Jun 12, 2013 at 06:01 AM
Kris Reiswig
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Best Portable Landscape Camera?

The G1x produces amazing images. It is just about perfect for landscapes. I like that I can easily add adapters such as a vari-nd filter or polarizer with the addition of the filter rings.

Jun 12, 2013 at 01:28 PM
P.F.
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Best Portable Landscape Camera?

As millsart said, the best is certainly the DP2 Merrill. But you have to use it at 100 (or 200) ISO so a tripod is almost necessary.

Jun 12, 2013 at 01:45 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Best Portable Landscape Camera?

Kris Reiswig wrote:
The G1x produces amazing images. It is just about perfect for landscapes. I like that I can easily add adapters such as a vari-nd filter or polarizer with the addition of the filter rings.

How do you attach a grad or polarizer without using a filter ring ??

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:08 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password