FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       7       8       end

Archive 2013 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Tom_W
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

I'm out of town, so I didn't have a great chance to test it.. However, since I knew it was coming, I brought the 100-400 and my Canon 1.4X with me. F/8 autofocus works well, not just the center AF point but the 4 surrounding it also. Very sure response so far.

Can't wait to try it with some other glass.

Apr 30, 2013 at 04:17 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

NCAndy wrote:
I went back and tried the 1Dx - 70-300L and 1.4 TClll combo. It does not report F8, rather 5.6. It does AF though it doesn't snap to focus, it sort of settles there. A confirmation beep is heard when it does achieve focus. My 5D3 with the old firmware behaves the same way. I haven't loaded the new firmware yet. Thought I'll let a few of you guys test it out first.

Thanks!

Ah OK, OK so maybe it is not possible to make it work with whatever chips are inside the TC III and 70-300L. I guess the Kenko manages to due to some sort of fancy spoofing chip inside of it.

It would be nice if Canon offered a force f/8 mode toggle in the firmware, but that is not something I'd ever count on happening, basically zero chance. That would be so awesome though of course (hint hint ). But usually only closer to mom and pop companies do that sort of thing.

OK, well I guess I'll eat bread for a few weeks and order the Kenko then hope it has enough quality to make it worth while (and that it really does f/8 and AF as some said on another site).

It's too bad the Canon stuff wasn't designed differently, but what can you do. Sounds like the firmware can't be blamed.

But it can be praised for offering f/8 with official Canon stuff and with Kenko.

Unless I hear otherwise.

Apr 30, 2013 at 04:48 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Lars Johnsson wrote:
The glass will hit the extender ? I belive you have to use a shorter non Canon TC

And the IQ of the Kenko 1.4x TC DG or DGX is very good, so I'm not sure why skibum5 has so much angst. It's BS the IQ is not good; maybe in the corners it's not as good, but in the centre it's as good.

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:12 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Pixel Perfect wrote:
And the IQ of the Kenko 1.4x TC DG or DGX is very good, so I'm not sure why skibum5 has so much angst. It's BS the IQ is not good; maybe in the corners it's not as good, but in the centre it's as good.

OK, hopefully that is the case.

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:40 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

skibum5 wrote:
OK, hopefully that is the case.

I'll post some shots from my 100-400L + kenko combo tonight.

The good thing about the Kenko you can use it on plenty of Canon lenses that don't support Canon TC's as well as third party lenses.

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:48 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Nice, Canon even sent me email about this firmware ... What about gift certificate we use to get with 5D/1D?

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:56 PM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Bones74 wrote:
I did the same earlier and had a successful install I always s*** myself when doing a FW update... They make it seem one mistake and your camera becomes a paperweight.

If I get a 5D3 in the near future, its first shots will be using FW 1.2.1 at the onset. That means I wouldn't enjoy the anticipation of waiting for the release of a free FW with AF at f/8, a first for a non-1D body. Wish I were an early 5D3 adopter!

Apr 30, 2013 at 07:33 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

so updated it. so far, compared to old firmware with a taped kinko, or new firmware with no taped kinko, and 100-400L.
focus speed is about the same.
you get correct exif with the new firmware.
You can also do MFA with the new firmware combo, as it recognizes the combo.

Magic lantern 1.31, as expected is not compatible with the new firmware, and puts the camera in a loop. had to remove the battery.
the firmware does not seem to have an issue with my party battery
the combo with the 70-300L hunts. it does not report the aperture correctly.

Apr 30, 2013 at 07:44 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

kevindar wrote:
so updated it. so far, compared to old firmware with a taped kinko

Mmm, kinko, eh?

Apr 30, 2013 at 08:11 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

is it Kenko? :-)
I just got done reading 50 shades of gray. must be a Freudian slip.

Apr 30, 2013 at 08:28 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

kevindar wrote:
so updated it. so far, compared to old firmware with a taped kinko, or new firmware with no taped kinko, and 100-400L.
focus speed is about the same.
you get correct exif with the new firmware.
You can also do MFA with the new firmware combo, as it recognizes the combo.

Magic lantern 1.31, as expected is not compatible with the new firmware, and puts the camera in a loop. had to remove the battery.
the firmware does not seem to have an issue with my party battery
the combo with the 70-300L hunts. it does not report the aperture correctly.

Dang what? Even with the kinko it doesn't report f/8 either or AF with the new firmware??

Man what was up with two people swearing up and down on another forum that it AF well and said f/8 when using a Kenko. Starting to feel like I was ranting up and down all over that 2+2=8 just about now.

This f/8 thing is rapidly turning from bad to worse for me. I thought at worst the Kinko would AF with the 70-300L.

Which Kenko do you have? Pro 300 or the regular? They do act differently on the 5D3 from what I hear.

Apr 30, 2013 at 08:38 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

jxsq wrote:
How about AF speed, any BIF from 400/5.6+1.4x or 500/4 600/4 + 2x samples?

Here are some 600II and 2xTCIII examples. Works great for big birds Still haven't tried smaller and faster ones. IQ is great, takes a bit more sharpening than with the 1.4TCIII or bare lens but still really sharpens up nicely.

Big birds and good light....no problem (handheld)

Almost 100% crop

Apr 30, 2013 at 08:49 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

skibum5 wrote:
Dang what? Even with the kinko it doesn't report f/8 either or AF with the new firmware??

Man what was up with two people swearing up and down on another forum that it AF well and said f/8 when using a Kenko. Starting to feel like I was ranting up and down all over that 2+2=8 just about now.

This f/8 thing is rapidly turning from bad to worse for me. I thought at worst the Kinko would AF with the 70-300L.

Which Kenko do you have? Pro 300 or the regular? They do act differently on the 5D3
...Show more

Calm down, Kevindar said with new FW it reported EXIF correctly. I was using the Kinko and 100-400L on 1D X on weekend and it reports 560 f/8.

Apr 30, 2013 at 08:59 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

kevindar wrote:
is it Kenko? :-)
I just got done reading 50 shades of gray. must be a Freudian slip.

Apr 30, 2013 at 09:05 PM
dwweiche
• • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Calm down

Apr 30, 2013 at 09:08 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

dwweiche wrote:

Apr 30, 2013 at 09:11 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Calm down, Kevindar said with new FW it reported EXIF correctly. I was using the Kinko and 100-400L on 1D X on weekend and it reports 560 f/8.

Once again not everyone owns or wants to own the 100-400L, as hard as that is for you to believe . I do not own the 100-400L.

I'm talking 70-300L and for that lens he said: "the combo with the 70-300L hunts. it does not report the aperture correctly. [with the kinko]".

Perhaps if you were calm you would've noticed that he mentioned something other than your the only lens in the world that deserves to exist, 100-400L , in that post of his.

Apr 30, 2013 at 09:19 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Pixel Perfect wrote:

because it's just his way....

Apr 30, 2013 at 09:47 PM
dolina
• • • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Any bricked bodies? Also what are you using to record the uncompressed HDMI output?

Apr 30, 2013 at 09:58 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

dolina wrote:
Any bricked bodies? Also what are you using to record the uncompressed HDMI output?

no

ninja 2

Apr 30, 2013 at 09:59 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.