Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5              7       8       end

Archive 2013 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

robinlee
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Nice one Imagemaster,

Here is mine EF500mm + 2x TC

Goldfinch by Robin SS Lee, on Flickr

Imagemaster wrote:
My third-party battery works just fine:

500 f4 II with 2x TC and AF:

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:22 PM
venkidesh Iyer
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

For folks who tried this firmware.. Does any of you had a need to change their AFMA settings after firmware update?. For e.g. if you had zero AFMA with old firmware and after the upgrade did any of the lenses had to AFMAed with non zero value.

Just making sure the FW didnt affect focus accuracy.

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:33 PM
Sandpit

p.4 #3 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Hi all,

Anyone have a link to the new 5D III instruction Manual. Thanks in advance

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:41 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.4 #4 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Canon has not updated the 5D III manual. The link is off the 5D III page

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii#BrochuresAndManuals

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:45 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.4 #5 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Liquidstone wrote:
Just downloaded the new FW (Windows 7 version) and extraction of the zip file is successful.

Now, the only thing I need is a 5D3.

I did the same earlier and had a successful install I always s*** myself when doing a FW update... They make it seem one mistake and your camera becomes a paperweight.

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:47 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #6 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

skibum5 wrote:
much faster AF with speedlight assist, MFA going to -8 bug fixed, some AEB fix, some sort of liveview doing this and that and then you get so and so error fix, i think some sort of wireless transfer fixes, third party batteries now made less comapt 'fix'

oh it also is supposed to fix certain bugs with Eye-Fi card usage

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:48 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #7 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
I pressume they didn't unlock the raw+jpeg buffer like they did with the 7D fw2.0 then ?
I'm not in a position to own the 5D3 yet but I hope to be soon , but the big turn off for me is the 6 frame buffer . I'm not expecting miricals but it would nice to be able send a good burst (12 ish) of raw to the cf and small or medium jpegs to the SD slot that I could then transfer to my iPad when I'm out .

No a 1Dx is not on the horizon and while
...Show more

I don't think the 5D3 buffer has ever been locked down. The 7D just seemed to add support for the latest hi-speed CF cards.

SD slot is slow.

Buffer size is almost infinite with JPG alone and pretty decently large with RAW alone going to a 1000x Lexar 32GB card not bad at all. But yeah I do think using RAW+jpg reduces the buffer a good bit.

You can transfer RAW to ipad.

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:54 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #8 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

abqnmusa wrote:
This is an awesome update for the 5D III
Much needed for those of us with starter nature lenses such as 300mm F4 & 400mm F5.6
400mm F5.6 + 1.4X III will get much use here in sunny NM

From my manual focus testing the Canon 1.4X III outperformed the results I was getting with 3rd party 1.4X TC's (Tamron, Kenko). The Canon 1.4X III did not give me the CA, and was sharper over the frame.

Darn, not what I wanted to hear. So by taking six months to remove the 70-300L+1.4x TC III code from the f/8 1DX firmware code, now I have to pay $250 for no particular reason only to get inferior results with my 70-300L (which might become closer to not even worth it perhaps)?

Was the sharpness the same at least near the center?

Edited on Apr 30, 2013 at 06:20 PM · View previous versions

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:56 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #9 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Lars Johnsson wrote:
I have the 1,4x mkII. And to be honest I'm not sure I can attach it without touching the glass on my 70-300L. If the mkIII go inside the lens as much as the mkII I would say it's not usable with this lens. I belive Canon also say that.
And what will happen if your friend touch the zoom ring. The glass will hit the extender ? I belive you have to use a shorter non Canon TC

Believe me it fits. I tried. Many others have tried it. I didn't test how far it goes, people say it fits down to around 225-250mm ish so you have leeway for any slight turn or nudge. I just keep it at 300mm.

Why am I handing it over to my friend mounted in this fashion Who says you have to do that?

If it hit you wouldn't get glass on glass contact sine both are concave elements and the TC has a 1mm rubber bumper ring around the front. If you jammed it hard I'm sure you might be able to strain or even bend some of the zoom tracking pins but I don't see that an accidental light tap would doing anything at all. Sure it would be nice if it had a 300mm lock, but I tried it a whole bunch the other day and it's pretty easy to keep it at 300mm. I can't say I'm worried in the least.

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:59 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #10 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
I'm confused by the talk of the 70-300L . I didn't think it had the extra contacts that comunicate with the TC . If it has then ok I read the wrong info , but if it hasn't then how does the camera know a TC is in place or not ? . given that its the TC that tells the lens its present and the lens that tells the camera.

It doesn't. But two people claim (without a 1DX I can't personally verify, maybe they have no clue) that it reports f/8 and works on the 1DX though.

Also some people report that the Kenko 1.4 Pro + 70-300L now reports f/8 and works.

At the very least the Kenko scenario proves that there has to be a way to trick it into reporting even without the pins.

Maybe the 1DX guys were clueless and it doesn't report and the 1.4x III chip can't be modified in any way, etc. and it's not possible. All I can say is the two people who claim to have that combo and say that they tried told me it reports f/8 and works. Maybe they made some mistake and told me false info, if so and it's simply impossible to make the 1.4x TC III report the combo with that lens, then obviously it's simply very unfortunate but nothing they could've done (well I guess they could put a toggle in the custom functions called forced f/8 AF mode regardless of what the lens reports, although I can't see them doing that just to help out unofficial compatibility since big companies sadly never act that way it's just not how any of them work) and we'll have to be happy that it at least now works with the Kenko (and interesting that in knowing they'd have to pull more tricks that the kenko tc was designed with a more flexible IC). I don't know. On the 5D3 with 1.2.1 it reports f/5.6 and doesn't work.

Edited on Apr 30, 2013 at 06:19 PM · View previous versions

Apr 30, 2013 at 06:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

drobertfranz
• • •
p.4 #11 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

So far I tested the 5d3 and new firmware with my 800mm F5.6L IS and EF1.4x mkII, 70-200mm F4IS + EF2x mkIII and the EF500mm F4 IS + EF2x mkIII and all combinations worked very well. I'm pleased with what Canon did here.

Apr 30, 2013 at 06:18 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.4 #12 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

skibum5 wrote:
Believe me it fits. I tried. Many others have tried it. I didn't test how far it goes, people say it fits down to around 225-250mm ish so you have leeway for any slight turn or nudge. I just keep it at 300mm.

Why am I handing it over to my friend mounted in this fashion Who says you have to do that?

If it hit you wouldn't get glass on glass contact sine both are concave elements and the TC has a 1mm rubber bumper ring around the front. If you jammed it hard I'm sure you might be able to
...Show more

Ok, but what I don't get is the part about the "secret ability that the 1DX f/8 firmware version have with this lens"
The lens don't even have the contacts that comunicate with the extender ?

Apr 30, 2013 at 06:34 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #13 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Ok, but what I don't get is the part about the "secret ability that the 1DX f/8 firmware version have with this lens"
The lens don't even have the contacts that comunicate with the extender ?

Neither does it with a kenko either, but the kenko is said to report f/8.

Maybe, once again assuming the info I got from the two 1DX users was correct (and I can't personally vouch for it not having a 1DX) although they were what I think of as high level users, the 1DX firmware has a way to recognize a 1.4x is attached and read info from the TC and then also read info from the lens and know how to combine it??

I think the Kenko has some sort of fancy spoofing tricks where it reads the lens and then pretends to be the lens with a TC added or something, I don't know the details.

It would be interesting to hear from some more 1DX users. And keno + 5D3 users. I may order the kenko and give it a shot. Who knows maybe I've been fed bad info in both cases?

Apr 30, 2013 at 06:41 PM
gocolts
• • •
p.4 #14 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

dgdg wrote:
I plan to check this out soon with my 400 DO. I have a few accessible osprey nests nearby and 400 + 1.4x is nice, but eager to try my 2x II. I have seen nice images from those who had manually focused. Does require stopping down to at least f10 however. Limiting, but very useful in good light. With iso tolerate bodies, definitely excited for more options.

Also looking forward to your results with the 400 DO with a 2xTC. I recently tried stacking 1.4TC's on my 400 DO with a 7D, and not only did it autofocus well (similiar to how my old 400mm 5.6L AF'd with a 1.4TC with taped pins) but the results were acceptable if you stopped down a notch. Not a big deal for outdoor stuff with a big target like the side/front of a race car, which is what it's used for with me.

Apr 30, 2013 at 07:14 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #15 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Interesting sample tweeted by James Miller, link to the drop box he put it up at:

Both taken with internal recording and same settings.

The biggest difference might be the output in general, not comparing internal vs external (where, at least for static stuff without high-frequency color details or hard red edges, the difference seems to be near nil, maybe for fine red details it will be much better though?).

Maybe it does grab more details and not mush details in shadows as much now.

So maybe might initial feeling that is was more detailed really was correct (keep going back and forth)

Of course tests are tricky, a slight change in focus or a bad frame selection can toss the results, but assuming his shot tells the tale I guess I was correct in my first feeling that wow it did get a bit crisper. I later deleted that post, but I guess I had been right on my initial take after all.

(I do wonder about some of the very odd artifacts that I seem to see at times now though, a few seemed a little nasty an done was very bizarre. Slight bumps to camera made leaves and sticks on ground dance and crawl in a sorta weird way that I don't happened with the old firmware.)

And a sample video he took with the new firwmare: http://vimeo.com/64902903

Edited on Apr 30, 2013 at 07:42 PM · View previous versions

Apr 30, 2013 at 07:20 PM
jxsq
• • •
p.4 #16 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

How about AF speed, any BIF from 400/5.6+1.4x or 500/4 600/4 + 2x samples?

Apr 30, 2013 at 07:22 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.4 #17 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

skibum5 wrote:
I don't think the 5D3 buffer has ever been locked down. The 7D just seemed to add support for the latest hi-speed CF cards.

SD slot is slow.

Buffer size is almost infinite with JPG alone and pretty decently large with RAW alone going to a 1000x Lexar 32GB card not bad at all. But yeah I do think using RAW+jpg reduces the buffer a good bit.

You can transfer RAW to ipad.

Nope , tested my 7D with the same cards before and after the FW 2.0 upgrade. before (using a Transcend 400X which is not UDMA7) I got 17-18 RAW and after well into the 20's . and RAW+any jpeg was a max of 6 before and 16+ after .

I know the SD slot in the 5D3 is slower but I will bet you the buffer is artificaly reduced to 6 for RAW+Jpeg . even if you only use the CF slot and use a very fast card like the Lex 1000x it locks you at 6 doesnt it ? and from what ive read it doesnt seem to matter what speed of card you use (as long as it can clear 6 frames) .

as I say that buffer is a big stumbling block for me . there are many times when I will shoot just raw and the 5D3 would be absolutly fine , but then there are times when I will shoot lots and want to just import the jpegs into my ipad (for culling and viewing) keeping the raw files for when I get back in front of a PC . but a max burst of 1 second is just not enough .
I really hope that when the 7D2 eventually breaks cover they dont go back and kill the buffer again .

Oh yeah Im fully aware I can transfer Raw to the ipad . but 1: why fill the ipad with RAW files. 2: even with my 64gig ipad3 I have to clear the decks of a bunch of stuff so i will have enough room for a good weekends shoot. (no Im not paying out for the new 128gig version !!!!) 3: even if the files are on the SD card using the SD part of the camera connection kit each raw file takes ages to upload . and if you USB cable the camera to the other part then forget it thats far too slow to even consider (and takes the camera out of action) .
so raw to the ipad (unless its only a few) is just not an option.

Apr 30, 2013 at 07:26 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.4 #18 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

I went back and tried the 1Dx - 70-300L and 1.4 TClll combo. It does not report F8, rather 5.6. It does AF though it doesn't snap to focus, it sort of settles there. A confirmation beep is heard when it does achieve focus. My 5D3 with the old firmware behaves the same way. I haven't loaded the new firmware yet. Thought I'll let a few of you guys test it out first.

Apr 30, 2013 at 08:01 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.4 #19 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

For those interested in the focus speed with AF assist ... it seems much better! I'm a happy man today!

Apr 30, 2013 at 08:08 PM
Geert Koning
• • •
p.4 #20 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

robinlee wrote:
Here is mine EF500mm + 2x TC

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7044/8688125985_e494456be2_b.jpg
Goldfinch by Robin SS Lee, on Flickr

Very nice Robin. Now I have to buy a 2x TC

Apr 30, 2013 at 09:04 PM
1       2       3