Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              7       8       end

Archive 2013 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

michaelbennati
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Thanks dhphoto. And I take it that new FW instalment sets everything to default so all custom settings are lost?

Apr 30, 2013 at 09:40 AM
robinlee
• •
p.3 #2 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

That tells me a little about getting sharp shots consistently now

dhphoto wrote:
I'm just delighted they acknowledged and fixed the -8 MA problem, it was driving me mad

Apr 30, 2013 at 09:42 AM
robinlee
• •
p.3 #3 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

You will not lose you custom settings

michaelbennati wrote:
Thanks dhphoto. And I take it that new FW instalment sets everything to default so all custom settings are lost?

Apr 30, 2013 at 09:43 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

I pressume they didn't unlock the raw+jpeg buffer like they did with the 7D fw2.0 then ?
I'm not in a position to own the 5D3 yet but I hope to be soon , but the big turn off for me is the 6 frame buffer . I'm not expecting miricals but it would nice to be able send a good burst (12 ish) of raw to the cf and small or medium jpegs to the SD slot that I could then transfer to my iPad when I'm out .

No a 1Dx is not on the horizon and while a 1D4 is in the same ballpark (used) as the 5D3 the smaller form of the 5D3 is more ideal (plus if I'm going larger sensor then it may as well be FF)

Apr 30, 2013 at 09:52 AM
CalBoy87
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

dhphoto wrote:
No

Actually yes, you can reverse it. Just to see, if I can go back, I d/l 1.1.3 FW and successfully reversed to it on the camera. Put it on SD card, click on update, camera recognize the FW, asked me if I want to update, click OK and off it went...I am using ML so is good to know, I can reverse to 1.1.3 any time.
BTW, there is new manual, reflecting the changes in menu - I d/l from Canon Australia

Apr 30, 2013 at 09:52 AM
robinlee
• •
p.3 #6 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Good point Ian but I have not tried this combination RAW + JPEG as I feel JPEG is a waste of space and buffer since I never use the JPEG anyway but it will be nice to find out from someone who actually shoots both in the field

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
I pressume they didn't unlock the raw+jpeg buffer like they did with the 7D fw2.0 then ?
I'm not in a position to own the 5D3 yet but I hope to be soon , but the big turn off for me is the 6 frame buffer . I'm not expecting miricals but it would nice to be able send a good burst (12 ish) of raw to the cf and small or medium jpegs to the SD slot that I could then transfer to my iPad when I'm out .

No a 1Dx is not on the horizon and while
...Show more

Apr 30, 2013 at 10:29 AM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.3 #7 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

This is an awesome update for the 5D III
Much needed for those of us with starter nature lenses such as 300mm F4 & 400mm F5.6
400mm F5.6 + 1.4X III will get much use here in sunny NM

From my manual focus testing the Canon 1.4X III outperformed the results I was getting with 3rd party 1.4X TC's (Tamron, Kenko). The Canon 1.4X III did not give me the CA, and was sharper over the frame.

Apr 30, 2013 at 01:42 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.3 #8 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Rickuz wrote:
Seriously, I don't understand what all the fuss is about. This update does nothing for most of us.

What makes you think you make up "most of us" 5D3 users

Apr 30, 2013 at 02:21 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

skibum5 wrote:
Hmm if you put the 70-300L and 1.4x TC III (make sure it is at 300mm so it fits) it doesn't say f/8 and AF with the center point? I don't have the 1DX but two people have told me that when they do that it reports f/8 and works. Someone is wrong. I don't know who.

Do you have the latest firmware on your 1DX?

Other people say it reports f/8 and works if you use a Kenko instead of the 1.4x III on the 5D3.

I have the 1,4x mkII. And to be honest I'm not sure I can attach it without touching the glass on my 70-300L. If the mkIII go inside the lens as much as the mkII I would say it's not usable with this lens. I belive Canon also say that.
And what will happen if your friend touch the zoom ring. The glass will hit the extender ? I belive you have to use a shorter non Canon TC

Apr 30, 2013 at 02:33 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

I'm confused by the talk of the 70-300L . I didn't think it had the extra contacts that comunicate with the TC . If it has then ok I read the wrong info , but if it hasn't then how does the camera know a TC is in place or not ? . given that its the TC that tells the lens its present and the lens that tells the camera.

Apr 30, 2013 at 02:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Maxis42
• •
p.3 #11 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

As a bird photographer primarily, I sure look forward to test my 800mm with the 1.4x III and see how it performs compared to my 1D MKIV.

I'll do it this weekending during my workshop.

Good job Canon!

Apr 30, 2013 at 02:45 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #12 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
I'm confused by the talk of the 70-300L . I didn't think it had the extra contacts that comunicate with the TC . If it has then ok I read the wrong info , but if it hasn't then how does the camera know a TC is in place or not ? . given that its the TC that tells the lens its present and the lens that tells the camera.

My 70-300L has 3 contacts less than my other lenses that are made for extenders. And the glass is not far enough inside the lens to attach my 1,4x mkII.

Apr 30, 2013 at 02:50 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

michaelbennati wrote:
I own several third party batteries. I would like to be able to use them after FW upgrade.
Is it possible to revert back to the old firmware if it turns out I can't use my third party batteries anymore?
Thanks.

My third-party battery works just fine:

500 f4 II with 2x TC and AF:

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +2x III lens    1000mm    f/8.0    1/250s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 30, 2013 at 03:56 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #14 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Imagemaster, I am always impressed by the quality of your images.
I love my 400 f/5.6 and 500 f/4 lenses with extenders even more now!

Apr 30, 2013 at 04:09 PM
Mike1.6
• • •
p.3 #15 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Imagemaster wrote:
My third-party battery works just fine:

500 f4 II with 2x TC and AF:

Wow. No CA in that image. Looks great.

Apr 30, 2013 at 04:12 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.3 #16 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Fred Miranda wrote:
Imagemaster, I am always impressed by the quality of your images.
I love my 400 f/5.6 and 500 f/4 lenses with extenders even more now!

Thanks, Fred. I will have to try my 400 f5.6 with a 1.4x TC now, and would like to see results from someone with a 400 DO plus 2x TC.

My 500 f4 II is still too heavy and cumbersome for me, hence it is now for sale.

Tony

Apr 30, 2013 at 04:26 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.3 #17 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Lars Johnsson wrote:
I have the 1,4x mkII. And to be honest I'm not sure I can attach it without touching the glass on my 70-300L. If the mkIII go inside the lens as much as the mkII I would say it's not usable with this lens. I belive Canon also say that.
And what will happen if your friend touch the zoom ring. The glass will hit the extender ? I belive you have to use a shorter non Canon TC

The 1.4TC can only be attached to the 70-300L at 300mm. The rear element moves forward enough to give clearance. It's not something I plan to do because sure enough I'd forget and try to zoom out causing the lens element to contact the TC.

Apr 30, 2013 at 04:30 PM
nburwell
• • • •
p.3 #18 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Will be updating tonight after work!

-Nick

Apr 30, 2013 at 04:30 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.3 #19 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Imagemaster wrote:
Thanks, Fred. I will have to try my 400 f5.6 with a 1.4x TC now, and would like to see results from someone with a 400 DO plus 2x TC.

My 500 f4 II is still too heavy and cumbersome for me, hence it is now for sale.

Tony

I plan to check this out soon with my 400 DO. I have a few accessible osprey nests nearby and 400 + 1.4x is nice, but eager to try my 2x II. I have seen nice images from those who had manually focused. Does require stopping down to at least f10 however. Limiting, but very useful in good light. With iso tolerate bodies, definitely excited for more options.

Apr 30, 2013 at 04:55 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.3 #20 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

dgdg,

If possible, please post some of the results of you 400 DO images with bare lens, 1.4X, and 2X TC's.

I am considering a 400mm DO since it is hand holdable and fits well with birding while hiking.

thanks,

Paul

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:02 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password