Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              7       8       end

Archive 2013 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

diverhank
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Where do I find a complete list of the fixes? This is all I can find:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/EOS5DM3_firmware/

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:33 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Lars Johnsson wrote:
I don't understand your comment? I have the 70-300 IS L lens. And I can't use it with extender on my 1DX. ? So what secret ability does it have

Hmm if you put the 70-300L and 1.4x TC III (make sure it is at 300mm so it fits) it doesn't say f/8 and AF with the center point? I don't have the 1DX but two people have told me that when they do that it reports f/8 and works. Someone is wrong. I don't know who.

Do you have the latest firmware on your 1DX?

Other people say it reports f/8 and works if you use a Kenko instead of the 1.4x III on the 5D3.

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:35 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Imagemaster wrote:
You bought a 5D3 without f8 firmware, and for a lot less than a 1DX, so quit complaining. And what makes you think a Kenko will give you worse quality than a Canon TC

Give me $250 and promise me the Kenko delivers the same image quality as a 1.4x TC III and I will.

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:35 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

dwweiche wrote:
What other unofficial bonuses were stripped out? Are there more I haven't heard of?

Canon's only mistake was unofficially supporting that combo on the 1DX when the 70-300L manual says in black and white that extenders are not supported. Hand-wringing over removal of something that shouldn't have been there in the first place is a waste of energy. It is known when one buys the lens to not expect support.

All the same pretty silly if it does work with the 1DX f/8 fix as some claim and their competitor's Kenko does for sure.

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:36 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

AGeoJO wrote:
Hmmm, somehow I was under the impression that all cross-type AF points would work at f/8.0 after the new firmware upgrade. Apparently, it would only work with the center one . Oh, well.

I don't think any cameras have ever done that.

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:37 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

gregfountain wrote:
Is there anything of importance in this update for someone who is not currently using long glass with extenders or shooting videos? I went to the canon page and it only mentions those two issues.

Greg

much faster AF with speedlight assist, MFA going to -8 bug fixed, some AEB fix, some sort of liveview doing this and that and then you get so and so error fix, i think some sort of wireless transfer fixes, third party batteries now made less comapt 'fix'

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:39 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Interesting so they do say it is 4:2:2 on EOS HD they said it was only 4:2:0. I will have to try it with some stuff with complex and fine color detail and also some stuff with lots of fine motion. For relatively bland scenes without much motion or color details it doesn't seem much different at all clean HDMI vs internal compression, but maybe in other scenarios it will show improvement using an external recorder.

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:49 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

I have a taped kenko extender, which works perfectly fine with my 100-400, and I can even use the off center points (though it struggles more).
there are 2 things that are causing me pause in updating.
1. Potential incompatibility with 3rd party batteries (I own 1).
2. Magic lantern a3 release for 1.13 already out. in shooting video, I find focus peaking and magic focus far more useful that the 4:2:2 out put. Love magic lantern, and I doubt it will work with the new firmware.

Apr 30, 2013 at 06:27 AM
Rickuz
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

gregfountain wrote:
Is there anything of importance in this update for someone who is not currently using long glass with extenders or shooting videos? I went to the canon page and it only mentions those two issues.

Greg

Not much, except faster AF with speedlight assist.

Seriously, I don't understand what all the fuss is about. This update does nothing for most of us.

Apr 30, 2013 at 06:46 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

gregfountain wrote:

Greg

Rickuz wrote:
Not much, except faster AF with speedlight assist.

Seriously, I don't understand what all the fuss is about. This update does nothing for most of us.

I'm not putting any teleconverters on f5.6 zooms and I don't care about videos either.
However, the MA bug is worth fixing.

EBH

Apr 30, 2013 at 06:54 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Liquidstone
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Just downloaded the new FW (Windows 7 version) and extraction of the zip file is successful.

Now, the only thing I need is a 5D3.

Apr 30, 2013 at 07:02 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Liquidstone wrote:
Just downloaded the new FW (Windows 7 version) and extraction of the zip file is successful.

Now, the only thing I need is a 5D3.

Yeah, that would help.

EBH

Apr 30, 2013 at 07:05 AM
UCSB
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

diverhank wrote:
Where do I find a complete list of the fixes? This is all I can find:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/EOS5DM3_firmware/

Give this a try: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/Default.aspx?Cat=Canon-News

Apr 30, 2013 at 07:47 AM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Updated firmware, no obvious problems yet

Apr 30, 2013 at 08:12 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

Well I'm excited to try the new AF assist. As mentioned, it's my one issue with the camera (at weddings). It was clearly wrong and I've been saying that for nearly a year now - just after I started using the camera. At first I thought it was that I didn't have a new 600 type speedlite, but I tried that and it didn't fix it. It was clearly always to do with AF assist and I'm glad they've found and fixed it.

Firmware updates are very rarely about introducing new features. I strongly doubt they wouldn't have introduced the uncompressed HDMI or f8 focus if they didn't feel pressured to by "the other side".

The f8 focus one is particularly interesting though. I suspect they've produced something of a hack which is unusual for a company so they must have been getting a serious kicking from photographers saying "I simply won't upgrade until you fix it". It pays to do your homework before removing something people are used to... and it also pays not to be arrogant enough to ignore them.

Maybe a little lesson learned Canon?

Apr 30, 2013 at 08:22 AM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

I'm just delighted they acknowledged and fixed the -8 MA problem, it was driving me mad

Apr 30, 2013 at 08:24 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

dhphoto wrote:
I'm just delighted they acknowledged and fixed the -8 MA problem, it was driving me mad

Ahh yes. And that one. I was lucky - I never got it.

Apr 30, 2013 at 08:26 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

WTF is this new feature? Does it mean that DPP will be updated for the lens aberration correction to work?

Digital Photo Professional

If the Lens Aberration Correction Window is chosen when working with a RAW image taken with a camera running Firmware Version 1.2.1 or 1.2.0, the adjustment window will automatically shut down and the adjustment (correction) cannot be made.

EBH

Apr 30, 2013 at 08:36 AM
michaelbennati
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

I own several third party batteries. I would like to be able to use them after FW upgrade.
Is it possible to revert back to the old firmware if it turns out I can't use my third party batteries anymore?
Thanks.

Apr 30, 2013 at 09:09 AM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Official: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware v1.2.1

michaelbennati wrote:
I own several third party batteries. I would like to be able to use them after FW upgrade.
Is it possible to revert back to the old firmware if it turns out I can't use my third party batteries anymore?
Thanks.

No

Notes:

Once the EOS 5D Mark III camera is updated to version 1.2.1, it cannot be restored to a previous firmware version (Version 1.0.7 through 1.1.3).

Apr 30, 2013 at 09:28 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password